• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Just one more note: I feel Hi Grade goes down to even each issue. As Shep knows trying to find a 9.4 OAAW #242 is a ton harder than finding a 9.4 of # 243. A 9.4 of # 242 maybe in the top 3% available and 9.4 # 243 maybe 10%. Would Shep be satisfied with a 9.0 or 9.2 of # 242 well maybe but if a UHG comes along I bet I see a Bigfiver69 bid on it. As Amen points out his Hi Grade maybe a bit higher than Sheps in certain time frames. I feel this is an interesting topic almost as interesting as Grading itself !?!?!

I think for '60 - 65 you can aim a bit higher than 8.0 for the later years....

And 8.0 can be tough for the earliest years

I, as many others do, love high grade books. But it's hard to not like a run of books in Fine 6.0 condition. Oooh boy! If I could ever get my early DC war books all up to the Fine grade, that would be just :cloud9:

Getting an uber-high-grade book gives me two feelings. One, a supreme feeling of achievement and satisfaction. Two, a strong feeing of nervousness. I love the feel of a great book, but I'm also scared that my handling it will lower the grade. I love to hold 8.0's and flip through them, but I start to get nervous with anything higher. Heheh....I guess that's what the reading copies are for. :insane:

Andy

Just one more note: I feel Hi Grade goes down to even each issue. As Shep knows trying to find a 9.4 OAAW #242 is a ton harder than finding a 9.4 of # 243. A 9.4 of # 242 maybe in the top 3% available and 9.4 # 243 maybe 10%. Would Shep be satisfied with a 9.0 or 9.2 of # 242 well maybe but if a UHG comes along I bet I see a Bigfiver69 bid on it. As Amen points out his Hi Grade maybe a bit higher than Sheps in certain time frames. I feel this is an interesting topic almost as interesting as Grading itself !?!?!

Very true, Larry, very true. There are certain books that do seem to be much rarer than others nearby in the same run.

That's why uniform high grade collections of older material are so hard to put together. Some books just cause you to rationalize.

Shep

Just got this off another list.... this is so awesome.

http://www.the-isb.com/?p=211

lol

You know that “Hang In There!” poster with the kitten dangling from the branch? Sgt. Rock would order that kitten to give him 20 pullups.

Well, either that or he would yank him from the branch and heave him at the enemy once he ran out of grenades and dynamite. And then the kitten would claw out some Nazi’s eyes, because even kittens are 36% manlier when Sgt. Rock is involved.

"Doctors say he only has a 50/50 chance of living. . .though there's only a 10% chance of that."

George Kennedy from "The Naked Gun"

(Sorry, couldn't help myself with all this talk of percentages)

NICE!!!!

I loved the Naked Gun. Almost as much as 'Airplane'.

'Surely you can't be serious.'

'I am serious. And stop calling me Shirley.'

so true. Funny how sweet an 8.0 can be when you have no chance to ever see a 9.4 of early SA war and Atlas monster books!

"Doctors say he only has a 50/50 chance of living. . .though there's only a 10% chance of that."

George Kennedy from "The Naked Gun"

(Sorry, couldn't help myself with all this talk of percentages)

(thumbs u (thumbs u

so true. Funny how sweet an 8.0 can be when you have no chance to ever see a 9.4 of early SA war and Atlas monster books!

Or if you have seen a 9.4 and know it will never be yours unless you measure time in decades. :sorry:

That's why I am content to find these books in 8.0 - 8.5. They're far less expensive and very nice in hand, and very presentable.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone buying the HG stuff, I'm quite jealous when I see these beautiful copies on here, but you can still find some really nice deals on some sweet books..thankfully!

Y'know Karma, I'm the same way to some degree. On the silver books I'm way less picky. I love finding these in 9.0 and better, but truthfully, if I find one or two pre-1965 in that kind of shape a year, that's been a pretty good year.

I have actually found the best value in the earlier silver age is in the FNs.... and 8.0 is often the very, very best grade you'll ever get on the pre-1960 war books.

I've been re-scanning my early GI Combats, and I love them all.... and there are many FNs, a few VFs, and a lot of ragged-around-the-ears VGs. There are some individual books that I wish were in higher grade, but overall the collection has come together to my satisfaction.

One trend in modern collecting (and I am guilty for sure) is focussing so much on this book or that book. It's not very often that I get to really lay out a big run... say Our Army at War #110 to #150, or G.I. Combat #70-#100, and just enjoy them as a collection. It sort of smooths out the highs and the lows.

If anyone is interested in seeing the scans, by the way, I've got an updated file at the end of my post on the 'Testing 1...2...3...' thread.

Shep\

I've seen those scans Shep, it's an incredible collection! Thanks for sharing them with us.

I haven't even begun to look at pre 1960 war books yet. I did come across a copy of Frontline Combat #5 with some water damage, but it was structurally tight and sound and it was a whopping $20. I couldn't have been happier.I seriously doubt I could even afford a 8 or better copy of that book, so having a solid copy to read was fantastic.

So, I guess the moral to these tales is 'in grade' is essentially what makes you happy, or at last that's my take on it (thumbs u

Applied to war books that means......

For books 1953-1960, that's 7.0 and up.

:o :o :o :o :o

That really is a tall order. Good Luck finding those as i know quite a few collectors who would definitely snap War Comics up from that era in that grade.