• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Hey there,

The only one I would consider would be the GIC #87.... and only then if it presents really will, and that the G/VG grade is because of technical stuff (a large back cover crease, for example).

The rest all seems overpriced. I got a really nice VG OAAW #81 earlier this year for $460, and an VGish OFF #45 for something like $40 off of ebay.

I've seen GD copies of OAAW #81 go on ebay for around $100 too.

Frig it, grab the #87. You can never get enough of that book. And it definitely the toughest book to bag these days.

Shep

Hey there,

The only one I would consider would be the GIC #87.... and only then if it presents really will, and that the G/VG grade is because of technical stuff (a large back cover crease, for example).

The rest all seems overpriced. I got a really nice VG OAAW #81 earlier this year for $460, and an VGish OFF #45 for something like $40 off of ebay.

I've seen GD copies of OAAW #81 go on ebay for around $100 too.

Frig it, grab the #87. You can never get enough of that book. And it definitely the toughest book to bag these days.

Shep

Thanks for the feedback Shep

Ahhhh, Mick - so nice to see that copy of G.I. Combat #80.

I owe that book a big favor... I remember when it came up, on ebay I think. You got it, and you in turn sold me your older copy, which I cherish... Thanks again bro!

That turned out to be a SMOKIN' copy you got.

For what it's worth, I think that GIC #80 may well be the single toughest GI Combat Greytone to find in nice grade (with the possible exception of #44). How often do you see that book come into the market in decent shape?

Next to never.

For the sake of old times, here's the copy I got from you. I love it to death...

th_gic80.jpg

Yeah, that #80 has always been tough. . .honestly in ANY grade. I just don't recall seeing it very often at all. I think #44 is easier. . .even in grade. And that's saying a lot because #44 is a very tough book compared to tons of other comics out there.

Glad you like that copy, Shep. Other than those two, haven't seen much else that's as nice. Might've been something at Heritage, but I can't recall.

Hey D, Shep is right on with those numbers and grade. That is exactly what I have seen in the market. I was going to suggest the GIC 87 also, but right now I could be considered a little biased.

Good luck,

Larry

Hiya Dmac,

They're ALL too high-priced. $350 for a Good-Very Good GIC 87?? That's obscene. That book should and DOES command multiples at grades above VG or Fine, but not for something less than that. Just because something sells for multiples of guide in mid or high grade, it's not a shoe-in for rip-off multiples in Good-VG.

Same can be said for the other ones. $250 for a FAIR???? Unless it's a key golden age book, NOTHING is worth $250 in Fair.

Double guide for a Good copy of OAAW #1? Why?

If you waited for ebay, you'd get EVERY one of those books cheaper than what they're asking . . .and they DO show up on ebay in those grades.

I owe that book a big favor... I remember when it came up, on ebay I think. You got it, and you in turn sold me your older copy, which I cherish... Thanks again bro!

For what it's worth, I think that GIC #80 may well be the single toughest GI Combat Greytone to find in nice grade (with the possible exception of #44). How often do you see that book come into the market in decent shape?

Next to never.

For the sake of old times, here's the copy I got from you. I love it to death...

th_gic80.jpg

Shep,

That copy is stunning and Mick's is out of this world and what shocks

me the most is that Mick upgraded when he had such a nice copy. :o

I'm sure happy for you that he did. (thumbs u

hm I wonder if Mick is ever going to sell me one or two of his nice duplicate

12 centers he's saving for trade bait. :wishluck:

Hiya Dmac,

They're ALL too high-priced. $350 for a Good-Very Good GIC 87?? That's obscene. That book should and DOES command multiples at grades above VG or Fine, but not for something less than that. Just because something sells for multiples of guide in mid or high grade, it's not a shoe-in for rip-off multiples in Good-VG.

Same can be said for the other ones. $250 for a FAIR???? Unless it's a key golden age book, NOTHING is worth $250 in Fair.

Double guide for a Good copy of OAAW #1? Why?

If you waited for ebay, you'd get EVERY one of those books cheaper than what they're asking . . .and they DO show up on ebay in those grades.

Word.

Street-talkin' Shep

me the most is that Mick upgraded when he had such a nice copy.

That's because Mick is a king!

I still whisper a little 'thank you' to him whenever I snap that book out of the mylar. In my now 8 years back into collecting, I've seen maybe one other nice copy come along on that book - besides these two.

Shep

Hey guys was thinking about some books for sale at the NYCC, here are the books and my assesment of the grades. Which would you pick? Our Army at War # 81 grade fair price $250, Our Army at War # 1 grade good price $ 320, Our Fighting Forces #45 grade g-vg price $110 and G.I. Combat #87 grade g-vg price $350. Which one would you get and why?

Well, the others beat me to the punch, but my suggestion would be to pass on them all. The GIC 87 would be ok in my mind for $300 and if it were a CGC graded 3.0. But those prices they're asking is just way too much. You will be able to find them, much cheaper, with patience.

Good luck!

Andy

Next to never.

th_gic80.jpg

Yeah, that #80 has always been tough. . .honestly in ANY grade. I just don't recall seeing it very often at all. I think #44 is easier. . .even in grade. And that's saying a lot because #44 is a very tough book compared to tons of other comics out there.

Glad you like that copy, Shep. Other than those two, haven't seen much else that's as nice. Might've been something at Heritage, but I can't recall.

That #80 is righteous!!!

#44 is tough, but not GIC 80 tough. As Mick says, even #44 will show up in grade, #80? na-ah.... (tsk)

Andy

me the most is that Mick upgraded when he had such a nice copy.

That's because Mick is a king!

I still whisper a little 'thank you' to him whenever I snap that book out of the mylar. In my now 8 years back into collecting, I've seen maybe one other nice copy come along on that book - besides these two.

Shep

I wish I had one of his duplicates to whisper to. :(

And I agree that Mick is King!!

I saw the interest in GIC #80 so I listed one for sale on e-bay. I graded it at VG/F. Hopefully someone can fill a hole. It is a tough book to find in any grade that's for sure. Good luck.

A VG/F GIC 80 is INDEED a helluva tough book to get.

You guys are being complimentary, but for cryin' out loud, cut out that king zhit! I spend a good deal of the school year teaching my 3rd graders about social justice, civil disobedience, revolution, freedom from the crown, and other subversive notions. My students would get out the pitchforks and torches if they heard that.

I saw the interest in GIC #80 so I listed one for sale on e-bay. I graded it at VG/F. Hopefully someone can fill a hole. It is a tough book to find in any grade that's for sure. Good luck.

You guys are being complimentary, but for cryin' out loud, cut out that king zhit! I spend a good deal of the school year teaching my 3rd graders about social justice, civil disobedience, revolution, freedom from the crown, and other subversive notions. My students would get out the pitchforks and torches if they heard that.

I never called you King :gossip:

:baiting:

Andy :grin:

Thanks guys for the input, i decided to not purchase any of the forementioned books. I will stick to some filler books in nicer graded. Most of the books in mid grade were way overpriced. Stephen Ritter had a few graded war books with prices in the stratosphere, but they were all nice. Harley Yee had a few books in raw mid grade that i couldn't even touch.Harley and one other dealer had a collection recently purchased war books of runs under 100 from G.I. Combat, Our Fighting Forces, Star Spangled War Stories. They were pretty muched picked over before i got there. There was some war at the show, not so much affordable or in high grade. Will post the few purchases i made later.

I never called you King :gossip:

:baiting:

Andy :grin:

Well, finally a Canadian with his priorities straight. . .then again, you Canucks never severed ties with the crown quite like the Americans. Not that America seems to be any better off--in this day and age, we're being run by a monarchy whose figurehead is George. (That might actually be the nicest thing I've said about him. . .ever.)

Thanks for the good info on what was at the con...

Raw war books at cons for decent prices = things of the past.

Which is a shame...

There is a collection of low to mid-grade silver age war at a local comic shop, and the prices are just stupid. Ratty goods of 1960-1962 books for $75 a pop. It's ridiculous.

Shep

Well, you can see from these pics that there were some DC war books at the NYCC. If you recall, Dmac, can you tell me what the asking prices were for these books?

I see by Steve's pen, there is a GIC #68. Wonder the grade and price... hm

IMG_0509.jpg

Top row, sixth from the left is an OAAW #82. Grade and price? hm

IMG_0500.jpg

Any other CGC graded DC war books that you can remember?

Thanks,

Andy

... Harley Yee had a few books in raw mid grade that i couldn't even touch.Harley and one other dealer had a collection recently purchased war books of runs under 100 from G.I. Combat, Our Fighting Forces, Star Spangled War Stories. They were pretty muched picked over before i got there. There was some war at the show, not so much affordable or in high grade. ....

hm