• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

... It is pretty amazing to see some of the prices that these books are getting, but if you search, you will still find some deals. The non-key books are readily available, for the most part, in lower grades and with very affordable prices. ...

Total for all three under $20 including a share of shipping from a board sales thread.

Defects, sure, but nice bright covers and light pages.

GIC96.jpg

GIC112.jpg

Fight85.jpg

Jack

:applause: That's what I'm talking about! :applause:

Decent books for decent prices.

Andy

Just wondering, maybe you guys can give feedback. What would you consider high grade in war books? My thought is 8.0 - 9.2, most anything above that is unattainable, if not already available. Looked up some analysis on the census, it seems that 8.5 is the highest average. Any thoughts?

It's hard to say what is considered "high grade". Different era books have different availability for certain grades, and sometimes certain issues within certain runs seem to be tough as well. I'll try to sum it up a little bit here:

Yes, 8.0 to 9.2 are great grades, but for anything early, 8.0 is usually tops, and 6.0 is still a very, very desirable grade.

The later silver age books, 9.2 to 9.4 are pretty much tops, and 8.5/9.0 are still very desirable.

Bronze age, you'll start to see many more 9.6's and some 9.8's. 9.2 is still a great grade, mind you.

The newer stuff, high grade would be 9.4 to 9.8.

My opinions anyway... (shrug)

Andy

for late silver and all bronze I think you have to say 9.4 They are scarce now because so few are slabbed. But in time I believe many more will appear. Not nearly as many as mainstream superhero titles, but more than we see now in the census. Theres no reason IMO to believe that the % of collectors who were condition freaks in the 60s didnt take just as good care of their war books too. Just fewer total collectors.

I just got some books in that I bought from eBay nearly a year and a half ago.....

As some American sellers don't like shipping out of the States, if I really want the books, I have to send them to a US address. I have a friend whose friend lives across the border and he told me that I could always ship these books there. Well, I took advantage of that offer and bought a lot of "US customers only" comics. It came to an end eventually, as the recipient was running out of room to store all of these boxes and packages that I was sending him. He called my friend and told him to pick these up and tell me to stop. :insane: My friend went to pick them up and getting all of these packages was like Christmas. :acclaim: Now, after my friend's trip to his friend's place, two more lots came in and were sitting and sitting for nearly 1 1/2 years, I finally got to open my packages and see what the hell I was buying. Pics to follow:

Sorry for the sideways shots, btw.

IH141CGC92.jpg

SSWS151-CGC90.jpg

asst1.jpg

asst2.jpg

asst3.jpg

It was fun and there were a few issues in there that I needed. Nice to get that US in 9.0, I remember picking that up for around $90, so it's nice to finally have in my hands. I'm hoping some of those loose books are upgrades for me, although most weren't so hot.

Andy

What a haul! :applause: looks like a (literal) ton of fun reading! I love that SSWS 151, I hope to have a slabbed copy one day :cloud9:

Thanks guys, I was pretty stoked going throught them. :cloud9:

Andy

Got these a little while back. I don't think I posted them...

img582.jpg

Also, I will be listing a G.I. Combat 87 on ebay tonight around 10pm. I posted a pic of it recently. It's a CGC 5.0 Off-White pages

Great cover!

img581.jpg

img582.jpg

img583.jpg

Also, I will be listing a G.I. Combat 87 on ebay tonight around 10pm. I posted a pic of it recently. It's a CGC 5.0 Off-White pages

Just saw it and was going to ask if that was yours. Actually I knew it was yours, quite identifiable. Nice copy, it'll be interesting to see where it ends.

The 1st Johnny Cloud is nice, I was the under-bidder on that one.

Good luck!

Andy

img581.jpg

img582.jpg

img583.jpg

Just saw it and was going to ask if that was yours. Actually I knew it was yours, quite identifiable. Nice copy, it'll be interesting to see where it ends.

The 1st Johnny Cloud is nice, I was the under-bidder on that one.

Good luck!

Andy

This is a different AAMoW 82. I did not get this one on ebay. It's a sharp copy, but there are a couple small chips out of the back cover.

Thanks, Larry. I've always liked that OAAW 117 in particular. It's a tough book in grade, but the composition of the cover showcases Kubert's unique vision nicely. The only complaint I have is that it has too many words. It would be among my all-time favorite covers if it was as wordless as the GIC 76 or 78.

Drucker!

I was just reading an Evanier essay where he ran into a pack of hot artists at a San Diego con and he told them he'd just spent a few minutes with the best artist in the room. Who's that, they asked challengingly. When he said Mort Drucker, they all said, Oh, yeah, you're probably right.