• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Yup, Grandenetti takes a little getting-used-to, but once you train your eye for the creative lines he put to paper, it's a pleasure to view it.

I'll second that.

Yup, Grandenetti takes a little getting-used-to, but once you train your eye for the creative lines he put to paper, it's a pleasure to view it.

So true Mick... I grew up reading late-Grandenetti when he was sort of mailing it in - stuff like 'Force Three' in All Out War. So I always thought he was a bit of a hack.

It wasn't until I discovered the 1950s and 60s work, particularly the covers, when I got completely turned on to the guy. I love Kubert and Heath war covers the best, but JG comes in very close.

Great books on the boards these days everyone!

Shep

Fay,

Awesome books. (worship)

Buy a scanner :sumo::foryou:

:sorry: I did promise to buy one a few months back. I will eventually buy

one if I can just stop buying comics long enough to have an extra couple

hundred laying around.

Speaking of no scanner, here is my latest haul from Keith Marlow's

auctions and I've have more if a certain board member wasn't so damn

hard to beat. :foryou: You know who you are. :gossip:

GIC124-1.jpg

OAAW179-1.jpg

OAAW121-1.jpg

Russ Heath. :cloud9: I got a little carried away with the bidding on this one

so please don't ask how much. :blush:

OFF39-3.jpg

Picture702.jpg

What a great e-bay seller Keith or Comicsarefun1503 is. (thumbs u

Thank you Keith, (worship) (worship)

:foryou:

Edited by Fazybones

:shy:

:o

(tsk)

:shy:

:o

(tsk)

I'm only joking Andy :) and you're still one of my favorite board members

and we could use more and more members just like you. :angel:

Now I have to start shopping for a damn scanner. :insane:

Hey everyone,

I know I had mentioned Sunday, but turns out I have family stuff all day.... so I'm going to have my war sale this morning.

It's going to be a little smaller than I had anticipated... about 15 books, but there's a decent variety, and the prices are right. Check in around 11 am central.

Thanks all,

Shep

2 more additions to my collection. Seems that I am very drawn to the AAMOW covers since seem to be grabbing mostly from this series.

AAMOW 101 and 102 :)

aamow101.jpg

aamow102.jpg

I really like the cover for 102.

I don't know about you guys but I find myself at a bit of a crossroads with regards to my war collecting. My passion for war books is still there but my ability to purchase comics these days is largely contingent on my ability to sell off parts of my collection. However, now I'm thinking of selling off some stuff in order to pay off some debts.

Additionally, I kind of wonder why I'm doing this anymore? With the prices being realized, I don't even know if I can achieve any of my goals, one of which was the entire DC GIC run. I even had to reluctantly pass on a GIC 87 that another forum member generously offered to me at a fair market price.

Higher gas prices, children, mortgage, bills, and thinking about retirement (way off but never to early to think about it right?) are all impacting my decision to keep going.

Anyone else in a similar position or had similar thoughts?

Hey Jeffro,

I've really struggled with this over the years....

I started off 'just' wanting a full bronze age run in VF and better. Took me years, and along the way I started getting into the silver age books. Then, the high grade bug bit me... a disaster!!

I've sold off parts of my collection over the years to pay for other parts... and no doubt in future, I'll sell off more. Likely, I'll loop back around to my first love - bronze age war - and sell most of the silver. In the past two years, I've nearly pulled that trigger twice, before I was talked off the ledge by my wife and some good collecting friends.

But the truth is, I still get a lot of joy from all the books I have. There are books I'm missing and would love to have, but I don't pine for them quite as much anymore.

Now doubt, though, that the prices are getting stupid.

Shep

I remember offering 3X guide nearly 20 years ago and 99% of the war books on my list were still under $100.00 even at that multiple. Things have definitely changed over the years. The cost of living and gas haven't made it any easier. I am in a good place, though--I don't complain because I have a lot of the Big-5 issues. I'm doubtful that I'll ever complete all the ones on my list (which is different than trying to complete the full runs) in high grade, but I will come close in my lifetime probably. At any rate, I sometimes get that urge to sell something, but then I break it out of the mylar and just behold. It's a helluva lot harder to get rid of something stunning when you're staring right at it.

I don't know about you guys but I find myself at a bit of a crossroads with regards to my war collecting. My passion for war books is still there but my ability to purchase comics these days is largely contingent on my ability to sell off parts of my collection. However, now I'm thinking of selling off some stuff in order to pay off some debts.

Additionally, I kind of wonder why I'm doing this anymore? With the prices being realized, I don't even know if I can achieve any of my goals, one of which was the entire DC GIC run. I even had to reluctantly pass on a GIC 87 that another forum member generously offered to me at a fair market price.

Higher gas prices, children, mortgage, bills, and thinking about retirement (way off but never to early to think about it right?) are all impacting my decision to keep going.

Anyone else in a similar position or had similar thoughts?

Hey Jeff,

I've been considering selling a lot of books lately, but I probably won't do that until I absolutely must. A problem that can occur with this philosophy is that you won't get a decent buck for your books if you have to sell them quickly. eBay is probably the best bet, cause in 7 or less days, all of your books can be gone. The boards are nice, as you know they'll be going to friends, but $ sometimes is more important when comparing friends and your bills.

If you're scratching your head wondering why you collect, then you should probably sell your books off. You may want to do as Mick mentioned and pull out some of your better ones and have a good look at them. That may sway you into keeping them. If you still love your war books and can make ends meet without selling them, you'll probably be thankful later for keeping them.

In the end, it's your and your family's choice. Good luck! (thumbs u

Andy