• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Give this thread a little more life....

Here's a few books that I picked up at Wizard World Chicago. A couple of over-graded, over-priced Harley Yee specials, but if you really want the books, you pay for them. And some of these did I ever pay. :makepoint:

ssws98.jpg

ssws96.jpg

And some other great books that I was very happy to pick up.

off29.jpg

off96.jpg

ssws23.jpg

oaaw2.jpg

oaaw10.jpg

I picked up a bunch more, but not gonna bother scanning the whole lot.

Thanks for watching all! (thumbs u

Andy

Here's a few books that I picked up at Wizard World Chicago. A couple of over-graded, over-priced Harley Yee specials, but if you really want the books, you pay for them. And some of these did I ever pay. :makepoint:

ssws96.jpg

I like it! Different from the other dino war covers.

oaaw2.jpg

From your con report, it sounds like you were pretty pumped about finding it.

Andy

And thanks for spending all "my" money in Chicago. :baiting: (Probably barely covered a down payment on one of Harley's books.)

Nice bunch of books.

Jack

ssws98.jpg

ssws96.jpg

off29.jpg

off96.jpg

ssws23.jpg

oaaw2.jpg

oaaw10.jpg

Andy

Great books!

Let me know if I can pry the SSWS 23 from you.

Jack, although I truly appreciated your business, it only really helped me get to Chicago and then in the door.

Still a great time and I thank you for giving me that little extra boost. (worship)

Andy

ssws98.jpg

ssws96.jpg

off29.jpg

off96.jpg

ssws23.jpg

oaaw2.jpg

oaaw10.jpg

Andy

Did you try Graham Crackers, him and Harley split that large war collection they got in. Grahams has the better prices, but Harley cherry picked the better boks and keys.

Did you try Graham Crackers, him and Harley split that large war collection they got in. Grahams has the better prices, but Harley cherry picked the better boks and keys.

I did try Graham Crackers and found pretty much only lower grade books and none on my list. Apparently Harley and another dealer, not sure his name, split on another collection of war books. This other dealer graded the comics and Harley priced them. A recipe for disaster if I ever saw one. Although some of the books, I was truly happy to get, some others upon closer inspection, gave me a great feeling of disappointment.

Anyway, I'm happy to get some more great books and the good far outweighs the bad.

Great book Andy!!!

Wish I was there with you.

Shep

~~~~Would have been great to have you there, Shep~~~~

Andy

I did try Graham Crackers and found pretty much only lower grade books and none on my list. Apparently Harley and another dealer, not sure his name, split on another collection of war books. This other dealer graded the comics and Harley priced them. A recipe for disaster if I ever saw one. Although some of the books, I was truly happy to get, some others upon closer inspection, gave me a great feeling of disappointment.

Anyway, I'm happy to get some more great books and the good far outweighs the bad.

Great book Andy!!!

Wish I was there with you.

Shep

~~~~Would have been great to have you there, Shep~~~~

Andy

WIsh I was there, too. Almost went, too, but decided to postpone until a time when I've got more cash (yeah right). That "other" dealer is Terry of Terry's Comics fame. All (or most anyway) of those books had a stamp on them like the one above the black "Star Spangled" banner on the SSWS #96. It helps discern this collection, BUT I have actually seen that stamp BEFORE and own at least one comic with that same stamp (OFF 46, m'thinks and there might be at least one other) that I'd purchased many years ago.

Andy, you chose some tough ones. That OFF 29 is one of my favs. Great Kubert cover. Great era for artwork!

I was told in May that Terry priced them as well. So Harley probably just wrote out the sticker.

Well, he was telling me that Harley priced them, but that may have just been to take the heat off of themselves and to make it seem more acceptable. The first batch I bought they said they could only take 10% off as Harley doesn't give more than 10% off. The second time I went up, I grabbed another handful and asked for more than 10%, and asked to speak with Harley if he wasn't willing to deal. He walked me over to Harley and he said 10% is fine. I said, Harley, you can do better than that and I don't really want to have to put these books back in their boxes. He gave me another 1% off. :roflmao:

Andy

What happened there, Greggy? Change your mind about posting?

Andy

Think I got the shared collection confused with another that Terry had with Harley.

I am not 100% but I hear Terry and Harley split an amazing War Collection in Oakland. Highest GIC 87 cgc'd methinks plus OOAW 81-83. Yikes. I was a sad Bay area guy. They came and plundered. Just checked census. Maybe I heard wrong?

I am not 100% but I hear Terry and Harley split an amazing War Collection in Oakland. Highest GIC 87 cgc'd methinks plus OOAW 81-83. Yikes. I was a sad Bay area guy. They came and plundered. Just checked census. Maybe I heard wrong?

Big grades, big prices. :gossip:

Fellas,

Nice to hear that at least the books are out there.

Sadly, the era of getting really nice quality silver age books at reasonable prices are long gone. The money is going to just keep getting bigger and bigger.

It's actually made me completely re-assess how I collect. I can simply no longer collect books before 1960 for grade... the prices on strictly graded FN copies and up have gotten out of hand! I've really ratcheted down my standards for my overall early war collection.

The big surprise to me, is that on those early books lower grade has actually been really enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I do love the glossy HG sweeties. But the lower grade books (and by that I mean VG-) do have a silver lining - you can actually read them without freaking out.

For example, it is only very rarely that I take our my copy of Our Army at War #83. It's probably a FN, and I don't want to beat it up. A coupla weeks back, I bought a low grade copy of that book from our very own Andy Greenham for $50, and I've taken great pleasure reading that book with abandon, and giving it to my son to read. Dudes! It was pretty liberating (just for badness, I am marrying the interior to a reproduction cover.)

Anyway, depending on where the defects are, there are still some really nice mid-grade books out there that us plebes can still afford!

Shep