• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

It's nice to be able to read your books without worry. I do enjoy that from time to time. I have come to love DC's Showcase Editions. Cheap prices, fantastic reading.

I'm very glad to hear that the OAAW #83 went to a good home. :applause: Enjoy!

Andy

I am not 100% but I hear Terry and Harley split an amazing War Collection in Oakland. Highest GIC 87 cgc'd methinks plus OOAW 81-83. Yikes. I was a sad Bay area guy. They came and plundered. Just checked census. Maybe I heard wrong?

I heard about the OAAW 81-84, but not about a GIC 87. Looking at the census makes me think there either WASN'T a #87 or it got sold before submission.

Edited by Comick1

There was an awesome booth at Chicago that had about 10 longboxes of war stuff at 60% off , most people went right past them to the marvel bins. Lots of cool stuff. Forgot the name of the dealer.

That's kind of shocking because at Wondercon the one magazine box of DC war I brought was easily the most popular box.

There was an awesome booth at Chicago that had about 10 longboxes of war stuff at 60% off , most people went right past them to the marvel bins. Lots of cool stuff. Forgot the name of the dealer.

That's kind of shocking because at Wondercon the one magazine box of DC war I brought was easily the most popular box.

I just recently got turned on to the war covers. Pretty cool stuff, not sure what to collect but I saw a ton of cool war books in those books. Alot of SGT ROck and Fury plus a tone I never heard of.

Other than "buy what you like" not sure that I can offer any advice.

This thread and the Infinite Bronze Age war threads are great sources of information -- as well as hours and hours of reading.

There are a couple GA threads:

link

link

link

Edited by adamstrange

Speaking of some cool war book covers.

A few I've taken photos of or borrowed scans of books I purchased

and forgot to post.

Picture665-1.jpg

Low grade and action packed.

OAAW76.jpg

Cracked from it's slab the day it arrived. I have no idea why CGC graded it

so low. (shrug) Okay, maybe a couple of ideas.

OAAW156.jpg

OAAW books have the coolest Giants of the all the DC war IMO.

oaaw164.jpg

OAAW books have the coolest Giants of the all the DC war IMO.

oaaw164.jpg

I was thinking and the above statement might be a stooopid statement

and did any of the other original DC Big Five have a Giant or Annual?

I know GICs had the dollar books and the normal 48/52 pagers, but did

any other title have dedicated Giant books like OAAW 164,177,190,203,

216...ETC? (shrug)

Forgive me, I worked a long graveyard shift this morning and can't sleep

very well in the heat so my mind is drawing a blank. doh!

Thanks in advance if someone can answer my silly question. (worship)

:foryou:

Edited by Fazybones

No annuals, but as you said, there were some Giant issues mixed into the runs. The only ones that I can think of is Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales, and also Eighty Page Giant #7.

My 2c

Andy

Hiya Fay,

Man, you really got me thinking on that one. There are indeed the Big GI Combats and the 100-pager issues that appeared later in the run. For the record, I consider those giants, but a lot of folks don't consider them TRUE giants because they have the saddle-stitch instead of the more familiar square binding. there aren't really any NON-OAAW square bound giants. . .with THREE truly exceptional. . .er. . .exceptions.

People usually cite the Prize Battle Tales and the 80-Page Giant #7.

According to Overstreet, the OAAW 242 is considered part of the DC 100-pg Super Spectacular run. I don't know about you guys (used in the gender-neutral sense), but if I did that, it'd mean that I'd have a big gaping abyss in the middle of my OAAW run. I used to own a couple of dupes--so I suppose I could have had one in the box with the Ds, and one in the later Our Army at War box--but unfortunately I sold those dupes years ago. . .well before CGC (and they were STUNNING copies). So for THAT one, it doesn't count (I don't care WHAT Overstreet says). It's STILL part of the OAAW run.

OK, here's where things get interesting. The DC 100-Page SS #16 is a completely DIFFERENT story AND (except for aforementioned Sgt. Rock Prize Battle Tales and Eighty Page Giant #7) the only exception to the non-OAAW square-bound giant rule. It's NOT part of the OAAW run and it's a 100-page square-bound. It's a killer reprint of the 1st app of Mlle. Marie, Capt. Storm (#1 repr.), and Johnny Cloud (check out the #82 thumbnail on the back cover!!!!). It also has the 2nd Haunted Tank (GIC 88 repr.) and the 2nd Grandenetti Gunner & Sarge (OFF #46 repr.). Curiously, it has a non-key repr. of Sgt. Rock as the lead story taken from OAAW #136. Again, check out that thumbnail on the back cover.

dc100pgss16-1.jpg

dc100pgss16bc.jpg

The thing that sets it aside from the OAAW run is that it doesn't leave any holes in the OAAW run by including it in the D box. It's a stand-alone much like the Sgt. Rock PBT and the 80-PG #7.

No, I don't wanna talk about the GIC no-number/DC Special Series #22. (Don wanna)

Great topic!!!

I dunno, dont have it in hand but I cant complain about the price (yet). Hopefully this is as nice as it looks. I wonder where all the heavy hitters were? $18!!!!!

37999.jpg

I'll give you $19 shipped? :whistle:

I hate the holes the 100-pagers double numbered issues leave in a run! And since they fit into both runs, which issue number is their REAL number???

This has never really bothered me, as I don't collect 100 pagers in general. (shrug)

I can see how it would be frustrating to others who do care though.

Andy