• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Fellas,

Nice to hear that at least the books are out there.

Sadly, the era of getting really nice quality silver age books at reasonable prices are long gone. The money is going to just keep getting bigger and bigger.

It's actually made me completely re-assess how I collect. I can simply no longer collect books before 1960 for grade... the prices on strictly graded FN copies and up have gotten out of hand! I've really ratcheted down my standards for my overall early war collection.

Right there with ya Shep. I've all but given up on my hopes for putting together a couple of the big five runs.

I'll still pick up certain books if I can but I'll have to be content with lower grade copies from now on.

Still holding out hope for a decent GIC 87 but that will have to wait for now.

i'm, curious what you guy's thing of the EC war books Frontline Combat and Two-Fisted Tales. i've always really like the covers but i don't see many posted in this thread.

i'm, curious what you guy's thing of the EC war books Frontline Combat and Two-Fisted Tales. i've always really like the covers but i don't see many posted in this thread.

Man, I LOVE 'em. I just discovered them myself over the past year or so but they are outstanding. They may not get mentioned much here since this is a SA thread but when I get one, I have to post it somewhere :grin:

Frontlinecombat-9.jpg

TFT-27560x780.jpg

Found this on eBay and took a chance. For $30 I am pretty happy. Tough book and this one is in decent shape with nice PQ and centering.

gic104.jpg

Andy strikes again! Great book with an amazing cover for a nice price, good job! :applause:

Found this on eBay and took a chance. For $30 I am pretty happy. Tough book and this one is in decent shape with nice PQ and centering.

gic104.jpg

Andy strikes again! Great book with an amazing cover for a nice price, good job! :applause:

:takeit:

gic104.jpg

Nice cover art on that book.

Here is my latest pickup. oaaw #48

oaaw48.jpg

Always loved that cover!!

Shep

Yeah I liked the cover. Only reason I buy any of these books plus the price was right at $5 for a 1.0. Listed as rare in the bigfive book too.

:)

Man, I LOVE 'em. I just discovered them myself over the past year or so but they are outstanding. They may not get mentioned much here since this is a SA thread but when I get one, I have to post it somewhere :grin:

Frontlinecombat-9.jpg

TFT-27560x780.jpg

Those are nice books, but I'm sad to say that I've never read an EC war book before. I've been told that they are absolutely fantastic. I'll have to try those compendiums some day.

Andy

Frontlinecombat-9.jpg

TFT-27560x780.jpg

Those are nice books, but I'm sad to say that I've never read an EC war book before. I've been told that they are absolutely fantastic. I'll have to try those compendiums some day.

Andy

You won't regret it Andy. Great stories and artwork(lots by Severin btw). Just fun books altogether. (thumbs u

Those are nice books, but I'm sad to say that I've never read an EC war book before.

:o

They are fantastic. I'd be shocked if you didn't think very highly of them once you read a few. I recommend the earlier issues as those were edited/written by Harvey Kurtzman.

Those are nice books, but I'm sad to say that I've never read an EC war book before.

They are fantastic. I'd be shocked if you didn't think very highly of them once you read a few. I recommend the earlier issues as those were edited/written by Harvey Kurtzman.

Thanks for the advice. I'm really looking for some of those trades, or essentials, but I'd love to pick them up cheaply. Might be in for a long wait. :juggle:

Andy

Thanks for the advice. I'm really looking for some of those trades, or essentials, but I'd love to pick them up cheaply. Might be in for a long wait. :juggle:

Andy

You're probably thinking of the expense of the new EC archive editions that are similar to DC archives. Those are in color and should be good (I don't have any).

Outside of Bat/Supe, ECs are the most extensively reprinted GA comics so finding 'em cheap isn't hard. There are individual comic reprints that Russ Cochran put out in the 90s -- should cost you a buck or so a comic. These were also glued together into cheap TPBs. My favorite edition for ECs are the oversize b&w reprints that came out in the 80s but those are usually more expensive these days then when I found mine.

Edited by adamstrange

Funny - and true - EC war comics story.

I started dating the girl who would eventually be my wife back in 1987, when I was 18. One morning that summer, I was asleep in bed and my mom called from downstairs. She yelled up the stairs 'Brian, there's something special at the door for you!'

I ran downstairs, and there was my girlfriend... waiting for me with a big smile. But behind her on the front porch bench was a box from Russ Cochrane containing the slipcased sets of Two Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat that the postman had delivered earlier.

I ran right past my girl, and grabbed that box. I screamed 'FINALLY!'.

Much to her chagrin, I might add. And on some level, I'm still paying for that one.

I ran right past my girl, and grabbed that box. I screamed 'FINALLY!'.

:roflmao: