• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,101 posts in this topic

Sorry to slightly derail this thread but does anybody remember what the Oakland copy of SSWS #138 sold for. I remember it was around December 2006 time as i placed a bid on it myself. It was also mentioned in another thread at the time because a board member here(1 of the main war guys) tried to snipe it but was outbid. If anybody has a link to that discuassion id be pleased to see it because for the life of me i just cant find it. Thanks.

The original cover art to that comic was sold at this year's San Diego.

Sorry to slightly derail this thread but does anybody remember what the Oakland copy of SSWS #138 sold for. I remember it was around December 2006 time as i placed a bid on it myself. It was also mentioned in another thread at the time because a board member here(1 of the main war guys) tried to snipe it but was outbid. If anybody has a link to that discuassion id be pleased to see it because for the life of me i just cant find it. Thanks.

I was all drool, as it is my absolute favorite SA cover. It was at 27K when I left, do you know the final hammer?

I was all drool, as it is my absolute favorite SA cover. It was at 27K when I left, do you know the final hammer?

$38,000. It's a killer piece.

$38,000. It's a killer piece.

If I were a rich man la da da di di di da. Back in the day, I was contemplating how much someone (a doctor) would want for it, and I figured it would be 30Kish.

Hi Big,

Yes the book was CGC graded and it was either a 9.2 or a 9.4 and definitely an Oakland. I remember there were other things going on in other auctions so this one was slipping under the radar and with 30 minutes to go it was under $100 with yours truely being the highest bidder. Then with a minute to go all sorts of bids came in but it still ended up if i recall correctly going very cheaply.

Also if my memory serves me correct it WAS Johnnock who mentioned in a thread that he lost out to the high bidder who hadnt won anything in 2 years and i thought it was either yourself or thirdgreenham who told him that you thought the final price was going to be higher than what it eventually sold for,

I would send Johnnock a PM but due to work i rarely get to go on the boards so any reply would go unread for a while but hopefully he will see the thread and chime in.

Same place I got this sweet little piece of cake... some site called 'ebay'. Both books came in today.

Desptite the crease in the upper right corner, in hand it is a really nice midgrade copy of a TOUGH book. This was a classic dice roll - small, crappy scan and an unknown seller... worked out pretty good, I thought

oaaw90.jpg

Edited by bigfiver69

Yeah, I was watching that. Dropped out at $1700. :o

The OFF #1 CGC 8.0 went for $1900 plus 19.5%. I was in on that bidding as well, but unfortunately it wasn't just me.

Andy

That is just RIDICULOUS money... I'm sure it's a nice book, but for that dough you could get the 8.0 OAAW #81 that Metro has.... probably way better money spent.

That's just nuts...

Shep

How could someone (excuse me, at least two people) bid that much for that book. Even if they are so rich that money is no object to them, it's insane. Why can't a couple of crazy get into a bidding war like that for one of my books on ebay. Can you imagine listing a book expecting to take in $1000-$1500 and getting almost $4000??? Must be nice.

That is just RIDICULOUS money... I'm sure it's a nice book, but for that dough you could get the 8.0 OAAW #81 that Metro has.... probably way better money spent.

That's just nuts...

Shep

How could someone (excuse me, at least two people) bid that much for that book. Even if they are so rich that money is no object to them, it's insane. Why can't a couple of crazy get into a bidding war like that for one of my books on ebay. Can you imagine listing a book expecting to take in $1000-$1500 and getting almost $4000??? Must be nice.

And more proof that these books are probably selling beyond the cadre of hardcore war collectors.... not many war dudes I know who can drop$5k for a non-key.

Or $5k period!!!

Shep