• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Promised I'd put up a couple non-Salidas when I posted something in the Salida thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295&page=0&fpart=3

Was looking at the GICs and thought it'd be cool to put in an ish to represent the 40-#s, 50-#s, 60-#s, 70-#s, 80-#s, and 90-#s. The 83 was scanned/posted long ago and doesn't follow the same size specs as the others. Hey, it's 2:40 AM here. Z z z z z z z z z z z z z z. . .

gic48.jpg

gic51.jpg

gic69.jpg

gic72.jpg

gic83.jpg

gic95.jpg

Promised I'd put up a couple non-Salidas when I posted something in the Salida thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295&page=0&fpart=3

Was looking at the GICs and thought it'd be cool to put in an ish to represent the 40-#s, 50-#s, 60-#s, 70-#s, 80-#s, and 90-#s. The 83 was scanned/posted long ago and doesn't follow the same size specs as the others. Hey, it's 2:40 AM here. Z z z z z z z z z z z z z z. . .

gic48.jpg

gic51.jpg

gic69.jpg

gic72.jpg

gic83.jpg

gic95.jpg

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

I was just reading through my Showcase Sgt. Rock #1 and it looks like Ice Cream Soldier died in OAAW #107 and was back again starting in issue #110. I remember reading #107 and thinking "Wow, they got rid of Ice Cream Soldier so soon? I don't remember that.". Can't keep a good, combat-happy Joe down. (thumbs u

Andy

Hey fellas,

Just wanted to give a little update on some changes in my collecting situation. I was going to post this in the General... but this is where all the war dogs hang, so it belongs here.

About a year and a half ago, I set out to build a top-of-grade collection of Our Army at War books from the Bronze age. After amassing a pretty nice collection, I started to find the pursuit of those books a bit narrow... and frankly sort of sterile. While it was nice to pull down the cases every once in a while, I always found getting the books from my raw collection more of a thrill.

So, last week, I sold the bulk of my graded CGC OAAWs. With the exception of a handful of can't-live-without-em books (like Oakland OAAW #218) they all went out the door. Some went to private collectors, but the bulk went to one dealer. The good news is, I was able to get all my money out, with a little profit on the side.

A couple of things motivated my decision. Foremost was the amount of money going into those copies... anything 15 cent cover in 9.4 was $150+, with 9.6 going $200+. Considering I have all of these books raw in high grade, that was just too much of a premium to have a 'shadow' set.

The other thing, frankly, was the marked deterioration in CGCs graded in the past year. I have old label 9.0 books that look better than some recent 9.4s. In many cases, my raw books just look better than the graded copies. So, over time I've become less and less willing to go for the graded product at such a steep premium.

Anyway, that's my story. I was worried that I'd regret the move, but I have had no second thoughts, and now I have the freedom to pursue the silver war books and the (gasp!) non-war books that I've had to pass on over the past couple of years. Not to mention, a pocket full of cash. :devil:

Talk soon all,

Shep

Well Shep, if you feel good about it after the decision, then you made the right choice. I've always felt that $150 and up for those books is too much, but only time will tell. Who knows, they may all be $500 books soon. I'm glad to hear that you're happy, and I can understand the feeling of freedom. I can truthfully say that I'm not excited about seeing you buying silver age war again. lol If you didn't want to publicly say which dealer you sold your slabs to, could you PM me?

Thanks Shep, and congratulations!!!! :applause:

Andy

Well Shep, if you feel good about it after the decision, then you made the right choice. I've always felt that $150 and up for those books is too much, but only time will tell.

I feel the same way.