• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Mick, that is such good info... you've been in contact with some truly great collections over the years.

Jeffro has some of the Diamond Run OAAWs (#120-#130 range I believe) and they are sharp books. I think he has posted some on this thread... Jeff, save from scrolling and post some of those sweeties again!

I had a single Pacific Coast OAAW from the Bronze Age, and the page quality was quite iffy. It was a CGC 9.4, but it might have had pages as dark as C/OW... I wound up flipping it in favor of a nicer raw copy. Not sure if that's indicative of the PacCoast books, or if I just got a dud.

One thing I believe is that there are certainly other significant collections of these books in grade out there - and this is partly due to Bangzoom's amazing Golden Age thread - his was a collection that was relatively unknown (perhaps completely unknown!) and it has in many of the heavy keys like Action #1. Maybe not in Edgar Church shape, but in great grades considering they're from the Golden Age. If that collection exists under all of our noses, you just know that there have to be many beautiful Silver Age collections that were amassed back in the 1970s when fandom made these books available, yet still reasonable.

My guess is that there are probably several very quiet collectors who put together long SA DC runs 30-40 years ago that will not come to market until the owners pass on. As for uber HG original owner collections that are out there, I'd be shocked if any containing long runs of war books appear.

It really is the stuff that dreams are made of... :cloud9:

Shep

Collectors of 30 - 40 years ago were generally not that picky about condition. I suspect that we are more likely to see high grade examples come from original owners than from first generation comic collectors. GA books are structurally much stronger than SA so you can have a collection like BZs even though it's OO didn't keep treat them as tenderly as say the Newsboys or PCs.

Guys, I was wondering - are there complete lists of the silver age DC war books from the following pedigrees/collections:

- White Mountain

- River City

- Salida

- Bethlehem

- Newsboy

- Boston

- Diamond Run

- Pacific Coast

- Were there any early war books in the Edgar Church collection (considering it was largely complete, and ended in 1954/55)

Also, a question about the Salidas...

I know that the collection came to light through one individual, but he initially kept a large portion of them for himself. Considering the collection was purported to contain complete runs of not just the DC war books, but also the Atlas war books of the 1950s - and considering how few of these books have appeared (on these boards at least) - would it be safe to say that a large number of these books have not made it to market?

It's safe to say that Salida's do not trade hands very often.

I've not seen WM list of war books but cgcworld, who's working on that collection for the Pedigree book, may know a thing or two. I don't recall ever seeing a WM war book. The RC came out through a variety of sources so I doubt we'll ever get a complete list though I'm the Ped book folks are documenting what they can. I'm pretty sure Goldman has a complete Newsboy list. Boston, DR and PC don't appear to have 10 DC war (at least not in high grade). DR, btw, has been de-listed by CGC as a pedigree though I would be interested to learn more about the collection as it contained some very sweet GA books. It's certainly possible that there are Church copies of DC war but the original (and incomplete) sales lists don't contain SSWS or AAMOW even though it has others books from that same time period. Past 1953 the Church collection is pretty much just Westerns so I wouldn't expect GI Combats etc.

Guys, I was wondering - are there complete lists of the silver age DC war books from the following pedigrees/collections:

- White Mountain

- River City

- Salida

- Bethlehem

- Newsboy

- Boston

- Diamond Run

- Pacific Coast

- Were there any early war books in the Edgar Church collection (considering it was largely complete, and ended in 1954/55)

I know that the collection came to light through one individual, but he initially kept a large portion of them for himself. Considering the collection was purported to contain complete runs of not just the DC war books, but also the Atlas war books of the 1950s - and considering how few of these books have appeared (on these boards at least) - would it be safe to say that a large number of these books have not made it to market?

I've not seen WM list of war books but cgcworld, who's working on that collection for the Pedigree book, may know a thing or two. I don't recall ever seeing a WM war book. The RC came out through a variety of sources so I doubt we'll ever get a complete list though I'm the Ped book folks are documenting what they can. I'm pretty sure Goldman has a complete Newsboy list. Boston, DR and PC don't appear to have 10 DC war (at least not in high grade). DR, btw, has been de-listed by CGC as a pedigree though I would be interested to learn more about the collection as it contained some very sweet GA books. It's certainly possible that there are Church copies of DC war but the original (and incomplete) sales lists don't contain SSWS or AAMOW even though it has others books from that same time period. Past 1953 the Church collection is pretty much just Westerns so I wouldn't expect GI Combats etc.

Thanks for that info! (thumbs u

- White Mountain

- River City

- Salida

- Bethlehem

- Newsboy

- Boston

- Diamond Run

- Pacific Coast

Thanks for that info! (thumbs u

Ditto that - Great info Adamstrange, and once again... I am just floored by the knowledge and good insight on these boards.

Mmmmmmm. Comics. :cloud9:

Shep

Jeff, you're killing me!

Those are just beauties... and harder to find in grade than a lot of people think..

SWEET!!!

Lord'amighty, I do love this thread.

Shep

Jeffy, great books, my man! :applause:

Thanks guys.

Some of those books are among the best examples I've ever seen but they are a bit misleading. Some of the older books have a small stain (water?) on the back cover, right upper corner thus knocking down grades a bit. I haven't submitted any of these but I understand that CGC hates stains and kills books with them.

Page quality on DR comics is so-so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have them this collection (ped?) doesn't seem to be of the same high quality as some of the others.