• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

The nicest copy on the planet, more than likely. It's a little under 4 times an already high-guide. . .not a major stretch for somebody with deep pockets who can afford to sit on it for a time. Not that I'm a big fan of that book. I had the Bethlehem copy (about a VF) at one time, and sold it off to get more interesting stuff with Kubert or Heath interiors.

hm Is that price of $9000 insane, really? If it is the best copy on the planet, wouldn't a key book like that easily be worth $10000?

I am thinking about the superhero genre and how much the best copy of key issues goes for. I know, there's a huge difference in the popularity of superhero to war, but if you were to guess, what would you say the difference is? 50 to 1? 50 fans of superhero books to 1 fan of war books? 10 to 1? 100 to 1? :shrug:

Your answers won't concretely determine the ratio, but I'm curious as to your thoughts. If we could somehow know the answer, could we somehow calculate and determine what our great books "could" or "should" be "worth"?

Andy

hm Is that price of $9000 insane, really? If it is the best copy on the planet, wouldn't a key book like that easily be worth $10000?

I guess we will have a clearer idea if that copy sells at that price. If it sits there unsold for an extended period, that will be very telling.

I think it's an insane price but that's just me. (shrug)

Really a book like this where market value is not known should be put up for auction. Andy, I think your comparison of super hero to war numbers collectors is valid to some extent but the most important with a book like this is demand by people with deep pockets. If two buyers exist the book could sell for a big number. If not, it will sit there.

I just wish it was an auction book.

I am thinking about the superhero genre and how much the best copy of key issues goes for. I know, there's a huge difference in the popularity of superhero to war, but if you were to guess, what would you say the difference is? 50 to 1? 50 fans of superhero books to 1 fan of war books? 10 to 1? 100 to 1? :shrug:

Your answers won't concretely determine the ratio, but I'm curious as to your thoughts. If we could somehow know the answer, could we somehow calculate and determine what our great books "could" or "should" be "worth"?

Andy

Is this really a "Key" book?

It was published 2 years after the first DC war book (OAAW 1) so it's not the first DC war book (far from it). It has no recurring characters. The title itself is the 4th or 5th most popular of the "Big Five" and carried the 5th or 6th most remembered continuous character (pair) when it did finally get continuity (Rock, HT, Dinos, Enemy Ace, then I think it's a push between Cloud, Pooch, and Gunner & Sarge) - and it wasn't even the title in which they premiered. There's no Kubert, no Heath.

Overstreet has an anachronistic tendency to always push the first issue of a title as a key and assign some arbitrary value to that, but in many cases it's not true. And I think this is one of them.

Andy

It was published 2 years after the first DC war book (OAAW 1) so it's not the first DC war book (far from it). It has no recurring characters. The title itself is the 4th or 5th most popular of the "Big Five" and carried the 5th or 6th most remembered continuous character (pair) when it did finally get continuity (Rock, HT, Dinos, Enemy Ace, then I think it's a push between Cloud, Pooch, and Gunner & Sarge) - and it wasn't even the title in which they premiered. There's no Kubert, no Heath.

Overstreet has an anachronistic tendency to always push the first issue of a title as a key and assign some arbitrary value to that, but in many cases it's not true. And I think this is one of them.

:sorry:

I'd say it's "key", yes. I'd say because it's number a #1 issue. The series ran for 181 issue. Just because it is one of the titles in the Big Five, alone, makes it desirable to me. It matters little (to me) if it's the 4th or 5th most popular title of the Big Five, although probably a very accurate estimate. (thumbs u

Andy

Andy

Exactly why I flipped it years ago. Wouldn't have minded keeping it, but it just wasn't a priority compared to stuff that contained more compelling artists or characters.

Yeah, it's a key for being #1, but you called it, Dan. Overstreet assigns WAY too much value to #1s when they're not that important to a lot of collectors. Historically important, but not much to offer beyond that.

Just outta curiosity, does anybody on the boards HAVE the Bethlehem copy or know where it is?

There were supposedly numerous Bethlehem war books, but that OFF #1 was one of only 2 (can't remember the other one) I've ever seen. Where'd they all go?

I really just dabble in DC war, so I'd like some expert feedback if you'd all be so kind; Is G.I. Combat #88 really easy to find? I just had a guy at our tiny, local show sell me a great VG copy for $20. I would have thought the second Haunted Tank would command more respect. (shrug)

I really just dabble in DC war, so I'd like some expert feedback if you'd all be so kind; Is G.I. Combat #88 really easy to find? I just had a guy at our tiny, local show sell me a great VG copy for $20. I would have thought the second Haunted Tank would command more respect. (shrug)

Mick's right... that is a steal and a half!!!

Great pickup! (thumbs u

2nd Haunted Tank, amazing cover to boot, incredibly underrated book.

Nice!!

Andy