• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

I think Russ started doing his truly classic work on the title as of issue #215 (though his earlier issues are still very good)... and then it's just a Heath free-for all of goodness for... FIFTY ISSUES!!!!

One of the most incredible runs in comics. The common knowledge is that his regular run ends somewhere in the 260s... but don't forget #273 - one of the best he ever drew.

To me, the Heath must haves from this era are 215, 218, 231, 239, 243, 244, 245, 251-259 and 273. Killer books all.

Shep

Just taking a minute from prepping the turkey to wish all my war comic friends a happy holidays.

It's madness in our house right now, with four kids and every toy known to mankind wreaking seasonal havoc. But it's fabulous. What a great time of year.

Looking back over the past year, I have definitely slowed down my purchases compared to years past. All the same, I was able to place some choice books into my collection this year... GI Combat #45 in raw 7.5/8.0, a seriously undergraded (imho) OAAW #91 at 5.5, Brave & Bold #52 in CGC 7.0, a lovely, solid 6.0 raw OAAW #40, and a dead-on VF copy of Our Fighting Forces #65 (the first silver age book I ever bought, and a desperately hard upgrade.) And there have been a few ebay specials along the way. But as I look forwards, I see fewer but higher grade purchases for me... just seems to be where I am in the hobby nowadays.

Thanks to you all for the great chats', the happy bulltin', and the sharing of so many wonderful books. Here's a wish for a happy and prosperous 2010 to you all, comics-wise and otherwise.

Off to stuff the bird. It's a beast!

Shep

Never had this one. I remember reading comics and seeing the previews for the next month. I was like an addict.

I can remember the day I bought Blazing Combat #1 off the newsstand like it was yesterday. I can remember the sky. The clouds, the way the air smelled. Too bad I was over my neighbor's house being forced to pose for polorids with her creepy daughter a few minutes later. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Jack

scan0010.jpg

I remember buying this when it came out.

I knew every guy that had comics in a five mile radius. I Traveled to every store I could walk to. Back then, every street generally had a small grocery store on it. I can remember buying a pack of Civil War News cards from a shop around the corner and losing all five cards later in the day flipping them. That was like gambling for kids in those days.

Every once in a while you'd find a place with a box of comics for a nickle apiece. And SOMETIMES they even had the full cover.

Jack

scan0015.jpg

Another.

Once again, Everyone have a great holiday. Enjoy your family because sooner or later, they pass on and be a memory. I'll tell you one thing. It's lonely at the top. I lost my Mom right before Christmas last year and I'd give anything to even have a minute with her again.

I have my own family now, but it's just not the same. I can appreciate how Flying Doughnut must feel.

So all you guys and gals out there who still are fortunate to have a Mother or Father still, go give em a hug and a kiss for me, ok? Someday you'll be glad you did. Merry Christmas.

Jack

scan0014-2.jpg

Another I can remember as a kid. Traded a guy around the corner for a VG copy and thought I was a big shot.

scan0012-2.jpg

:o Gorgeous!!!

Merry Christmas Jack :hi:

And thanks for posting this. I will be bugging you about it the next time I see you :grin:

scan0012-2.jpg