• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Wow Richard!! :o Incredible books and I love this one. :cloud9:

Thanks Fay. And a big thank you for this...

Yes Richard you are really my favorite Texan

that one is a semi :blush:

Dime a dozen on ALL of those 10¢ Rocks. Waste of money, if you ask me. :preach:

Then how come I can't find more? :pullhair:

I am trying to collect the Our Fighting Forces with Pooch on the cover. Does anyone know of a resorce that have images of the all the published covers?

linky Good Luck!

Not my typical M.O. but I snagged this off ebay for nothing... I think it was less than 10 bucks. Easy VF, apparently the Bethlehem copy, and it has some nice art by Wood and what looks like Alex Toth on the interior.

And I had a copy of it when I was a kid.

And I like masks.

warfront.jpg

Anything with Wood war art has got to be pretty cool. I don't think I've ever looked inside one of those. Gonna have to check it out, now.

A shame Wood didn't do the cover though.

I think that it's Jack Sparling, who was imho a really underrated artist. The short run that he did on the Unknown Soldier tales between 1973 and 1974 (written by Archie Goodwin :cloud9:) are some of my favorite bronze age tales.

That said, I did get a chance to read this over the weekend, and Wood/Toth art aside it's a pretty ridiculous issue. There were a handful of 'Warfront' issues from around this time that do have some nice art in them - there's more Wood and Toth, plus McWilliams, Draut and I think there may even be some Torres. It's all uncredited, of course, which makes it tough. But considering that there are file copies out there, you can get really nice copies of these on the supa-cheap.

Which brings me to an important request....

Of course, these boards are very DC and Marvel centric, and this thread is - rightly so - 95% DC war. But are there any other offbeat publishers that anyone can suggest in the war comics genre from say 1960 to 1970 - with some great artists?

Aside from the usual suspects, the only one that really springs to mind is Warren's 'Blazing Combat' magazine. But surely there were appearances of great artists in some of the short-run war comics. Then again, maybe not. I just don't know...

So if you know of any oddball war books from this era with some quality in them, fess up and share!

Anything that Glanzman did for Charlton in Fightin' Army (and others) was sturdy stuff. Believe it or not, there was some fine Glanzman, Torres, Evans, and others that did work sporadically for Gilberton's (Classics) World Around Us series in things like "Flight," "The Army," etc.

Probably not as oddball as you were looking for, but does it count

if I'm an oddball. (shrug)

Picture1006.jpg

Picture1007.jpg

The inside art is from somone I've never heard of, C. Nicholas.

The first story about Iwo Jima has some nice looking art and

whenever I see a picture or drawing of that Flag raising it sends

a patriotic chill up my spine. :luhv:

Picture1005.jpg

A Beautiful book included as a freebie from Texas and I posted

this in honor of a book I'm reading on the advice of my better half.

If any of you enjoy reading good war stories try to find a book

called "Roughneck Nine-One" at a library about a Green Beret "A"

Team's travels, living conditions and battles in Northern

Afghanistan. (thumbs u

These dudes have big stones and our countries are lucky to

have them protecting our freedoms.

Edited by Fazybones