• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Probably not as oddball as you were looking for, but does it count

if I'm an oddball. (shrug)

Takes one to know one!

Sheesh! I really HAVE made it to 1000. Didn't think about it until somebody mentioned it. I don't feel much older, but certainly do have a few more grey hairs. Took me about 3 years to do it. It's been a fun gig with all of you.

(Warning: Introspective refrain to follow) I've never met or even talked with many of you beyond these posts, but it sure is great knowing so many other war comics nutcases with similar interests. It used to get kinda lonely being a war collector because war was relegated to the periphery of collecting for so long. Now, of course, there's quite a bit of competition because people have begun really appreciating that these are amongst the coolest comics EVER made; but the upside is that this CGC message board thingy has brought our collecting community together. . .at least virtually. It is my hope that I meet every one of you in person at some point in time in the future.

(Group hug!)

Ahh Mick. :cloud9:

I wish you had more than 1000 posts and seeing your incredible

books is always a treat and your knowledge is always a pleasure

to read. (thumbs u

Sometimes I feel stupid with so many posts and so much more

to learn and so many more books to collect. :blush:

I wish our good friend Andy would post more of his incredible

books. :wishluck: Please Andy.

:foryou:

Edited by Fazybones

Picture1006.jpg
Very cool comic, Fay! I've not seen that before and it's quite unusual, in a good way, for a Charlton! :applause:

Probably not as oddball as you were looking for, but does it count

if I'm an oddball. (shrug)

Takes one to know one!

Sheesh! I really HAVE made it to 1000. Didn't think about it until somebody mentioned it. I don't feel much older, but certainly do have a few more grey hairs. Took me about 3 years to do it. It's been a fun gig with all of you.

(Warning: Introspective refrain to follow) I've never met or even talked with many of you beyond these posts, but it sure is great knowing so many other war comics nutcases with similar interests. It used to get kinda lonely being a war collector because war was relegated to the periphery of collecting for so long. Now, of course, there's quite a bit of competition because people have begun really appreciating that these are amongst the coolest comics EVER made; but the upside is that this CGC message board thingy has brought our collecting community together. . .at least virtually. It is my hope that I meet every one of you in person at some point in time in the future.

(Group hug!)

Congrats on 1000 posts! :hi:

The DC War Thread has kicked up a notch since you've joined and it's made it a fun way to stay in touch!

Picture1007.jpg

The inside art is from somone I've never heard of, C. Nicholas.

The first story about Iwo Jima has some nice looking art and

whenever I see a picture or drawing of that Flag raising it sends

a patriotic chill up my spine. :luhv:

Fightinmarines26.jpg

I wish our good friend Andy would post more of his incredible

books. :wishluck: Please Andy.

+1

Thanks guys, I really need to find myself a good "legal size" scanner first. Then I'll drop the bombs. :tonofbricks:

Andy

Picture1006.jpg
Very cool comic, Fay! I've not seen that before and it's quite unusual, in a good way, for a Charlton! :applause:

Gotta say, I love this book as well. One of the few Charltons on my MIA list.

Andy

Those Charltons are cool.... if they had more appearances of artists that were a little more well known, they'd be very collectable.

I read a LOT of them when I was a kid... there was a definate war comics pecking order, where one solid DC book could trade for three or four Charltons.

There was one artist who looked a LOT like Gene Colan. Maybe it was him... so many stories were uncredited.

And then, of course, there were Montes and Bache...

Nice books!

Shep

Those Charltons are cool.... if they had more appearances of artists that were a little more well known, they'd be very collectable.

yeah, that's a big problem with these, many are truly forgettable.

Fightinmarines26.jpg

Wow Jeff. That is really nice!

Those square bound Charltons are impossible to find in nice shape.

:banana:

Just bought a G+ OAAW #85 for $30!

Congratulations! 1st Ice Cream Soldier. (thumbs u

Andy

Not to mention the 2nd Kubert issue. . .

In some ways I think it's MORE like a "#2" (if #83 is #1) than #84.

The definitive Kubert Rock stuff begins with a "one off", so to speak, in #83.

Then in #84, it's Rock all right, just not a Kubert Rock. Love Novick's stuff, but it's just NOT that Kubert grit, abstraction, graphic dissonance, and beautiful inking all in one. We get treated to the same KILLER stuff in #85 that we got in #83. #86 and #87 are Kubert again. #88 and #89 are MISSING Kubert again. It's like Kanigher still needed MORE convincing. Always experimenting.

And then Kubert draws #90 which is where the Kanigher/Kubert team REALLY kicks into high gear with an origin no less!!!! Then it's no looking back for 16 uninterrupted issues of utter inspiration and brilliance from Kanigher and Kubert!!!!

Criminy! My adrenaline gets pumping just thinking about how cool that run is.

:banana:

Just bought a G+ OAAW #85 for $30!

Congratulations! 1st Ice Cream Soldier. (thumbs u

Andy

Not to mention the 2nd Kubert issue. . .

In some ways I think it's MORE like a "#2" (if #83 is #1) than #84.

The definitive Kubert Rock stuff begins with a "one off", so to speak, in #83.

Then in #84, it's Rock all right, just not a Kubert Rock. Love Novick's stuff, but it's just NOT that Kubert grit, abstraction, graphic dissonance, and beautiful inking all in one. We get treated to the same KILLER stuff in #85 that we got in #83. #86 and #87 are Kubert again. #88 and #89 are MISSING Kubert again. It's like Kanigher still needed MORE convincing. Always experimenting.

And then Kubert draws #90 which is where the Kanigher/Kubert team REALLY kicks into high gear with an origin no less!!!! Then it's no looking back for 16 uninterrupted issues of utter inspiration and brilliance from Kanigher and Kubert!!!!

Criminy! My adrenaline gets pumping just thinking about how cool that run is.

Mine too! I'm even gladder I bought it now! This is my oldest Kubert Rock. Thanks for the jolt!

Can someone here please tell me what was Joe Kubert's first war comic? What was his first interior-art war comic, and what was his first cover-art war comic? Are they the same issue even? Thanks for helping a war comic newbie!

I like Mr. Kubert's art a lot and my late grandfather was a Sergeant in the Army during World War Two.

Thank you,

Mervin