• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I was following Andy's killer war sale thread. With my head spinning in a way that would have made Linda Blair jealous, I was suddenly struck by the fact that the copy of OFF 123 he was selling is the 1st app of The Losers.

uh, isn't the 1st app, GIC 138, which predates OFF 123? ???

Yes, GIC 138 is the first Losers, OFF 123 is the first Losers in that run, where they went on to continuity.

Sort of like AAMOW 67 is the first Gunner & Sarge, then OFF 45 is the first G&S in the title in which they went on to star.

Clear as mud?

I was following Andy's killer war sale thread. With my head spinning in a way that would have made Linda Blair jealous, I was suddenly struck by the fact that the copy of OFF 123 he was selling is the 1st app of The Losers.

uh, isn't the 1st app, GIC 138, which predates OFF 123? ???

Yes, GIC 138 is the first Losers, OFF 123 is the first Losers in that run, where they went on to continuity.

Sort of like AAMOW 67 is the first Gunner & Sarge, then OFF 45 is the first G&S in the title in which they went on to star.

Clear as mud?

Very muddy. :ohnoez:

Great sales thread, Andy! That was the greatest war comics sale since I've been on these boards. A respectful nod to Brent's from a couple years ago, but that one didn't have nearly as many 10¢ers as Andy's.

Now I know where all the GIC 87s went!!!!

I've been buying them for years. In fact, considering the cost of the book, the grading costs and shipping back and forth, I'm losing quite a bit. I made a thread here in the "Wanted To Buy" section offering double guide for any G. I. Combat #87s. I didn't get a single one from that thread. I was really hoping that would shake loose a 6.0 or better. Ah well.....

Thanks for the kind words, guys. (worship)

Andy

Hey everyone,

Over the holidays, I went back through this entire thread for fun. I was struck at how completely DC-centric it is... which sort of makes sense, considering that DC created the most war books and maintained such an incredibly high level of quality during the length of all their titles' runs.

But aside from my DC war obsession, I am also interested in other, lesser known publishers. To wit... Charlton war.

To be sure, the art and writing on these was pretty sub-par, compared to DC's war books. But I read a LOT of these when I was a kid (mainly, the late 70s reprints). And there were some interesting artists sprinkled among these books... Tom Sutton, Don Perlin, Steve Ditko and Sam Glanzman.

Fightin' Army had a great, multi-issue storyline entitled 'The Lonely War of Willy Schultz' written by Willy Franz and drawn by Sam Glanzman. His art on these stories directly precedes his time at DC during the bronze age, where he did stellar work on The Haunted Tank and the USS Stevens series.

Anyway, I recently came into some complete Charlton runs, among then, the whole 'Willy Shultz' run. These books are by no means 'ultra high grade'... but I don't know if Charltons form this period exist in that grade. The paper quality, especially on the covers, is awful. And the trimming is a horror. But these are structurally really nice - after looking for these at cons and online for a while, these appear to be some of the nice copies.

I'm about to carpet bomb the thread with a sampling from this run... it's an interesting and surprisingly difficult little run to put together. And some of these covers are totally legit.

So... no laughing. Here's the first issue in the run.

fa76.jpg

Glanzman's stuff for Charlton is outstanding. . .just as top-notch as his DC stuff (well, the USS Stevens is truly his finest hour--wondrous stuff, that).

It's cool to see his art gloss the covers of those comics. Kubert's incredible run of hundreds of covers from the Big-5 titles would not be given any less respect if Glanzman or Heath had been given a chance to take over the reins for a few issues here and there. But then again, this goes to show that these message boards are, by nature, more caught up in the impact of the covers than the interiors. . .and the war books ALWAYS had an incredible interior to match (or surpass) the fine cover artwork. I don't believe that the same could be said for a lot of the other genres.

Those Charltons with the Glanzman interiors are largely unappreciated and it'll likely be many years before the larger collecting community understands how terrific all of those are.

Thanks for putting those out there, Shep. Good call, buddy!