• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

oaaw40.jpg

Gorgeous Mick!!! One of my favorite covers of all time, and one that was a monumental task for me to find in lowly FN condition. Easily one of the tougher pre-1960 covers.

As a side note, the G.I. jumping out of the tree looks JUST like Russ Heath looked back in those days. Russ was fond of using a mirror to get facial expressions... sometimes they came out looking like him, like on this cover.

Great, great, great books these days guys!

Shep

Here are a couple of other self-portraits.

99968.jpg.90e9420cbfb3a3f04c8e45746e0ba82a.jpg

99969.jpg.4b21e3640e207c66c873b77d655b7033.jpg

That reminds me that there are Atlas war Salidas as well.

Battleground13.jpg

That reminds me that there are Atlas war Salidas as well.

Battleground13.jpg

:takeit:

It's not like you need it. :baiting:

Was there ever a complete list of Salidas? Did it have grades?

Also, did the large bulk of them stay with the dealer who first got access, or do we think they have all been spread to the wind?

Shep

Was there ever a complete list of Salidas?
I don't know that there was ever a full listing as the original dealer was not that organized.

Did it have grades?
There was an initial list with grades and a friend of mine has one (I've seen it). Unfortunately it's now buried in the midst of lots and lots and lots of other papers so it's unlikely to surface any time soon. :tonofbricks:

Also, did the large bulk of them stay with the dealer who first got access, or do we think they have all been spread to the wind?
So far as I'm aware Ellsworth bought all of the Salidas. They have been dispersed as he did not keep much for himself (whether he did and how much he still has is not known). Due to a remarkable confluence of events I was in Santa Fe only a couple weeks after their unveiling and visited Ellsworth's store. I picked up only a couple (one of which was the Battlefield above) as all of the war books were gone by that time and I was interested in the Disneys (they were subscription copies bent in half and still bound in the original brown band).

I still recall looking at some Atlas's he was getting ready to package up for another customer and I had to pinch myself to be certain I wasn't dreaming. The books were/are so fresh you'd swear they are reprints.

Back to some scans

Battle31.jpg

This, along with a few of my other copies came from Mick, who first introduced me to the collection. (worship)

OAAW30.jpg

Salidas..... OMFG.

Simply gorgeous books.

I remember when this thread started some years ago... and now it's up to 550+ (on my viewer anyway) pages.

I check it probably every day. There's as much pleasure to be had from reading the passions of other collectors as from the books themselves.

As for Sgt. Fury, there were some excellent stories by Mike Friedrich and art by John Severing in the issues in the late sixties. 'The All-American' in (I think #81 or #88) is amongst my very favorite war stories.

One thing I NEVER see on these boards, though, are Charltons.... probably a good reason for that. But as I discover more and more of them, the naive art and story in most issues has a strange appeal.

Shep

Issue 81....a great story....stop on by Delaware and I will show you the Original Art Cover....

Go Fury. :applause:

You have the origina art to #81??? That is terribly cool!

I remember buying that as a back issue in 1978 when I was nine years old. It seemed so old and ancient then.... a whole decade old!!

Shep

Battle32.jpg

Thanks for posting these Timely's...THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!

This looks as fresh today as it did over 50 years ago...boy is that cover white!

Ditto. Quite an impressive copy of Battle # 32. :applause:

Those Salidas are extraordinary! I wish the original owner had the same love for Sci-Fi/Fantasy books!

While these dont compare to those puppies, here are my Kirby/Ditko BATTLE issues:

BATTLE_63.jpg

BATTLE_64.jpg

BATTLE_68.jpg

BATTLE_69.jpg

BATTLE_70.jpg

Love those Kirby Atlas wars. Extraordinarily cool!!

and I was interested in the Disneys (they were subscription copies bent in half and still bound in the original brown band).

hm

SalidaInwrapper-WaltDisneysComicsan.jpg

(Yeah, yeah, I know it's not a War Book ... shoot me.)

Why so many Salidas buried in a Silver Age forum thread? I get the impression you guys are hiding from me! lol