• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Nice ones, guys! This one's my personal favorite of the Fawcett war books.

billbattle.jpg

That is great!!!!

Senator McCarthy must have been overjoyed when he saw that on the newstands :grin:

That's why I love it. It's such an indicative relic from that era--about as explicitly propagandistic as you can get, I'd say. I remember seeing it in the Gerber Guide about 20+ years ago and putting it on my wantlist. Then I found it in (of all places) a box at my LCS (after the owner--a war collector himself--scored a bunch of Salidas for his own collection). It was an outrageous $22.00. :cool:

Here are a few more non-DC/non-Atlas Salidas.

Adding to my shame of selling the Salida War 11, I also sold the Salida Foxhole 4. :cry:

100236.jpg

Love that book, Dan. The colors and the squish graphic that expresses the moment of impact for that rifle butt are reminiscent of underground comics that came out more than a decade later.

Here are a few more non-DC/non-Atlas Salidas.

Adding to my shame of selling the Salida War 11, I also sold the Salida Foxhole 4. :cry:

100236.jpg

Love that book, Dan. The colors and the squish graphic that expresses the moment of impact for that rifle butt are reminiscent of underground comics that came out more than a decade later.

Yeah! And check out the guys face and flower in his helmet! Just weirdo. The colors are so out of place on a war book.

BattleGround5.jpg

Great cover!

Ken

I would love to own a nice copy of this book. :cloud9:

Picked up a few books from Brent's auctions tonight including this

Beauty.

OAAW18090.jpg

Congratulations to our friend Andy on his new born Son. :acclaim:

None of these are Salidas, but I like straying away from those boring DC war books every now and again.

cc23.jpg

:takeit: River City?

Not sure. It doesn't have quite the transfer staining/bleeding from the inside front cover colors to the outside cover (or vice versa) as is often typical of RCs, so I doubt it, but it could be some kinda OO collection of note. The scan seems to show a bit of inside color underneath, but I think that's just normal transparency with a white cover. Does that notation look familiar? It came from ebay awhile back and one of those few books that you get that are strictly graded.

Not sure. It doesn't have quite the transfer staining/bleeding from the inside front cover colors to the outside cover (or vice versa) as is often typical of RCs, so I doubt it, but it could be some kinda OO collection of note. The scan seems to show a bit of inside color underneath, but I think that's just normal transparency with a white cover. Does that notation look familiar? It came from ebay awhile back and one of those few books that you get that are strictly graded.

Oh yeah, I remember those. Got a dozen or so from there IIRC.

Thanks Scrooge and thirdgreenham!

I am hoping that I can find some nice copies at affordable prices...I would really like to buy 1 or 2 of the 10 cent issues but I know how rare those are. The wash tone covers are absolutely gorgeous...I think GI Combat # 78 is my favorite cover of all.

I'll have another sale coming up soon, Jay. I'll be sure to make a post here when it's ready to go. There'll be some nice deals, I'm sure. (thumbs u

Andy

many thanks thirdgreenham!

Here I am in the VCC. Just so you know, if you want to buy someone's stuff in the VCC, you have to do it through PM. Don't post :takeit: in the thread. 2c There are others set up in the VCC offering war books, so don't forget to look around. (thumbs u

Andy

Anybody going to San Diego Comicon?

This is on-topic, because I'm inviting anybody who'd like to come to show up at our annual Big-5 war comics banquet on Thursday July 22 at 7:45. We're holding it at Filippi's in Little Italy on India Street (as is the custom).

PM me if you can make it and I'll adjust the reservation head-count accordingly. Last couple years, Russ Heath has shown up and dropped a bunch of Heath-esque one-liners. Hopefully, we'll get him out again.

This is on-topic, because I'm inviting anybody who'd like to come to show up at our annual Big-5 war comics banquet on Thursday July 22 at 7:45. We're holding it at Filippi's in Little Italy on India Street (as is the custom).

PM me if you can make it and I'll adjust the reservation head-count accordingly. Last couple years, Russ Heath has shown up and dropped a bunch of Heath-esque one-liners. Hopefully, we'll get him out again.

I would kill to join you, Russ and the rest of the gang for pizza again.... maybe next year!

Shep

I would kill to join you, Russ and the rest of the gang for pizza again.... maybe next year!

Shep

I don't usually do this, but..... +1

I'd really love to go, but my littlest needs me here with him. Thanks Mick and let's work on next year. (thumbs u

Andy