• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

A lot of artists used themselves as models for facial expressions.... on Russ Heath's 1950s and 60s stuff, a lot of the GIs looked just like Russ.

It was an old illustration trick to keep a mirror next to the drawing board to see different expressions for reference.

Shep

Yeah, but those are Kirby pencils or layouts under Ditko inks. The story telling style by Kirby is unmistakable.

I am going to have to stand corrected on this. I was initially going to argue because I thought how could it be Kirby if Ditko signed the splash page?

Of course, when I went back to check --no signature. :shy:

B70-b.jpg

And while the the layout "seems" typical Ditko "monster/fantasy" -- those hands are not Ditko hands. The more I look at the story, the more Kirby emerges from beneath the inks. Limbs extending beyond the panel borders -- Kirby.

Good call to all who caught my mistake. :tonofbricks:

Just copying and pasting the results of my books at Heritage.

Results from Week 6:

AAMOW 44 CGC 7.5 $78

AAMOW 45 CGC 8.0 $131

AAMOW 48 CGC 7.0 $131

AAMOW 49 CGC 7.0 $102

GIC 107 CGC 9.0 $131

GIC 108 CGC 7.5 $78

GIC 109 CGC 9.0 $143

GIC 110 CGC 9.2 $215

OAAW 28 CGC 7.0 $96

OAAW 29 CGC 7.5 River City $108

OAAW 30 CGC 6.5 $57

OAAW 31 CGC 7.0 $96

OAAW 32 CGC 8.5 $287

OFF 96 CGC 9.2 $102

OFF 98 CGC 9.6 $215

OFF 99 CGC 8.5 $54

OFF 100 CGC 9.2 $66

SSWS 25 CGC 7.5 $179

SSWS 26 CGC 8.0 $215

SSWS 27 CGC 6.5 $108

SSWS 28 CGC 8.0 $131

In my mind, the biggest surprise is the OAAW 29. Early Our Army + nice high grade + pedigree, to boot. $108 including the juice? What a steal for the winner. I'd love to see who's winning these books....anyone, anyone? (shrug)

Here's my promo thread/contest. If you haven't been following the results, you can go to the first post of that thread and read them all. Hoping some of you join in and play, and for those that are in and haven't been getting me your predictions, come on! :baiting:

This thread has been fairly quiet in the last couple of months and I feel that there's actually lots to talk about with just the small market of my books at Heritage. Every week, there's books that surprise, books that disappoint (from this seller's viewpoint), and books that are so tough to find, it's just a joy to see them being offered.

You are all welcome to visit that thread above and post your views on the books and the auctions, in fact, I encourage it. (thumbs u

Thanks guys and gals! (worship)

Andy

Edited by thirdgreenham

The Heritage weeklys have been awesome as of late.

I've got to agree. They've been absolutely chocked full of nice DC war every week. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's going to continue on until perhaps February or March of next year.

Andy

Okay, it's not Silver Age (some would argue it's not war) but it's a book I have been looking for since I was 8 and I have ALWAYS missed it. Such a collossal pain... but it showed up on the Clink yesterday, and in a few days it will be in my hot little hands....

RAD3BCB0201093_131641.jpg

Okay, it's not Silver Age (some would argue it's not war) but it's a book I have been looking for since I was 8 and I have ALWAYS missed it. Such a collossal pain... but it showed up on the Clink yesterday, and in a few days it will be in my hot little hands....

RAD3BCB0201093_131641.jpg

Good stuff, my friend! :applause:

Just read that Jerry Grandenetti passed away. He was THE cover king of DC war for a good part of the decade between 1952-1962. Awesome Gunner and Sarge stories. He was the most prolific washtone artist at DC. Nobody had more covers turned in to washtones than JG.

Incredibly nice guy who also donated numerous pieces of original art to the Big-5 war banquets/auctions in absentia. To my great regret, I could never convince him to take the trip to SD. Other than Kanigher and Andru, he was the only giant of DC war who never made it to one of the banquets. Still didn't stop him from generously donating pieces so that we could underwrite the expenses for other great artists and writers of DC war over the years.

Gonna read me some G&S stories in his memory.

RIP JG!

off71recre.jpg