• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Here's my own Pedrin Big-5 guide. I heavy-stapled it many years ago and that seems to have reinforced its longevity by quite a bit.

bigfive.jpg

Definitely one of my most commonly used items. Many thanks to Chris! I don't think he's on the boards, but I talk with Chris about once a year and I'll relay the boards' unanimous interest in his awesome book.

Nice one Mick!

It's hard to believe that was 16 years ago, hey?

Just curious. Of all the books that Chris notes are rare and scarce, which ones have actually turned out that to be actually pretty common over the past decade and a half?

And which ones did he not note as rare or scarce that have have indeed been very hard to find?

Myself, I had a very, very hard time locating a decent copy of Our Army at War #40. Not sure if he called that one out in the book or not. That was the toughest book on my wantlist over the past decade.

Shep

He listed the OAAW 88 as scarce, and I think that might be fairly accurate. It's tougher to get than the others in virtually any grade from my observations. Of all the first 20 issues, I think it's the toughest of the bunch. The 40-number OAAWs are ALL tough to get, though I own 1 of 2 in the NM range. The other passed through my hands at one point. Whether that was just a case of 2 nice copies of an incredibly scarce book is hard to say. I can't say I see a lot of that issue in any grade layin' around in dealer stacks or on the racks.

I don't think the GIC 68 is genuinely scarce except in grades above 5.0 or so, but that's not any different than any of the Big-5 issues from that time period. Except 127, Chris didn't list any of the AAMOW issues as scarce or rare. Wonder what Andy would have to say about that.

I would say that they're ALL pretty scarce in grade, but don't know too much about availability in the 6.0 and lower range. Are the OAAW 40 numbers really substantially tougher than the AAMOW and SSWS 40 numbers? I don't think they are, but that might be a function of OAAW being the flagship title of the Big-5 titles in people's minds. . .the title that would be the home to Sgt. Rock, so perhaps they ARE tougher to get. Chris did say that his stats regarding scarcity and rarity were anecdotal when compiling this Big-5 runs. So his rare designation might be representative of the disparity in perceived rarity between Shep and me with the OAAW 40.

Thoughts?

Scarce and scarce in grade are two very different things.

I would say that locating any 10 cent DC war book (from the Big Five, because that's really all I know), in true Fine/Very Fine 7.0, is a truly great find. Finding any in 7.5 or 8.0 is worthy of a party. Any in 8.5 or better are next to impossible.

That's why when I see collections of books, that have taken many years to put together, put on the market, the awe of getting a 7.0 or better book isn't so awe-some. They actually seem common. Ah, it's only a 7.0. (shrug) Man, do you know how much searching through long boxes, traveling from show to show, looking at hundreds to thousands of books, this took to find that lowly 7.0? :makepoint: Obviously many don't, but a few of us do. That's why when Keith Marlow's collection came up for sale, I was a hungry shark trying to buy everything that I could afford. 7.0s, 7.5s, 8.0s, all the way up to friggen 9.2s!!! All CGC graded, not Harley Yee graded or Superworld graded, but CGC graded. That's another topic for another day, but I would much rather buy a book that is already CGC graded, than to take the risk of buying another's raw book. That is, unless you're familiar with that seller's grading and know what you are getting. 2c

So, with that little rant over, I'll try to answer your question, Shep. As I mentioned before, pretty much all of them are as tough as nails in nice grade (7.0 or better).

AAMOW

#s 2 and 3 were always tougher for me than #127, which Chris had listed as scarce. I believe #8 was quite difficult as well.

GIC

I had difficulty finding #59, and 67. #68 is listed as scarce, but I had 7 copies of that book. That may skew results a bit, too, as he listed certain books as scarce or rare, I especially sought out and bought those books. Multiples whenever I could find them. So, they may be equally as scarce (or common) as the other books around them, but as I bought them up, they didn't appear scarce to me. (shrug)

I also had trouble finding #'s 70 and 73.

OAAW

#2 for sure is a tough book, and I believe #8 is as well, so I agree with Chris there. #'s 10, 11, 12 and 13 were difficult to find, as was #23. Chris has #'s 41 through 48 marked as scarce with 43 and 48 being rare. I'd agree with 44, 45, and 46. #69 was tough and so was #84. Super early Sgt. Rock appearance and scarce. Nice combo. :cloud9: #88 is definitely tough, as Chris mentions.

OFF

I'd say that #11 to #14 were a bit harder to find, as was #31 to #35. Surprisingly, #1-10 were easy to find with #9 popping up the most frequently. I also found OFF #51 to be hard to find. That great Heath cover was very elusive for me. :frustrated:

SSWS

The first issue, #131 is tougher than #132 and #133. 2c I had difficulty finding #s 5 and 8. The issue #6 that Chris labeled "rare", I managed to accumulate 7 copies of that one as well. Again, could be tough, but # 5 and #8 are definitely harder to find. #'s 30, 31, and 32 are difficult. Seeing a pattern here? #36 as well. A few others to note: 47, 52, 60, 70, 73, 79, 80, 81, 91, 94, 95, 96, 98, 99.

Going through my notes again makes me want to try for another run. These books truly were a joy for me to collect, and I still love them dearly. Perhaps after my mortgage is paid off. hm I'd say that right now seems to be a good time for buying. Let's hope they stay a bit low until you all have the great books you're looking for. :wishluck:

Thanks for listening guys and girls and all the best for next year and beyond! (thumbs u

Andy

:applause:

Thanks for all the great first-hand info...

You think you might one day get back in and put another war set together? That's amazing - third time's the charm!

Good news is that if you are a pure collector, this hobby will just get easier and easier. Major collections are still coming to light (Mound City, and now the new one that Heritage will be brokering later this year for example) yet I can't see the number of people collecting war comics from the 1950s-60s growing all the much.

From an investment standpoint, there may always be a strong market for ultra high grade copies among serious DC silver age generalists. But for nice mid-grades on the 10-centers, this is a great time to be buying.

Shep

:applause:

Thanks for all the great first-hand info...

You think you might one day get back in and put another war set together? That's amazing - third time's the charm!

Good news is that if you are a pure collector, this hobby will just get easier and easier. Major collections are still coming to light (Mound City, and now the new one that Heritage will be brokering later this year for example) yet I can't see the number of people collecting war comics from the 1950s-60s growing all the much.

From an investment standpoint, there may always be a strong market for ultra high grade copies among serious DC silver age generalists. But for nice mid-grades on the 10-centers, this is a great time to be buying.

Shep

Well said Shep and as a buyer of mid grade or slightly lower 10 centers it

breaks my heart watching Andy's auctions at Heritage with no cash or credit

card on hand to take advantage of this buyer's market.

If Andy would stop having these awesome sales around here maybe I could

save up some cash. J/K Andy and keep having these incredible sales. (thumbs u

Hey folks,

Here's my own Pedrin Big-5 guide. I heavy-stapled it many years ago and that seems to have reinforced its longevity by quite a bit.

bigfive.jpg

Definitely one of my most commonly used items. Many thanks to Chris! I don't think he's on the boards, but I talk with Chris about once a year and I'll relay the boards' unanimous interest in his awesome book.

So.....your copy has amateur resto? Inconceivable! :baiting:

Hey folks,

bigfive.jpg

That's AFTER many years of training. . .you should see all the Sgt. Furys I botched with my trial efforts. :acclaim:

Hey folks,

bigfive.jpg

That's AFTER many years of training. . .you should see all the Sgt. Furys I botched with my trial efforts. :acclaim:

Why, I oughta.....

I know this isn't the place for this, but this is the only place that this post may work. If anyone has an OAAW 93 in solid 6.0 (Raw or CGC) that they can part with please let me know.

Thanks,

-Mike

Sorry, Mike, don't have that book anymore. :sorry:

Andy

Hey folks,

bigfive.jpg

Why, I oughta.....

Hah!!!! I KNEW that'd flush you out from that sniper's roost you've been hiding in!! Worry not, Sir Pablo! Those Fury's are in a better place now!!! :makepoint:

Scarce and scarce in grade are two very different things.

I would say that locating any 10 cent DC war book (from the Big Five, because that's really all I know), in true Fine/Very Fine 7.0, is a truly great find. Finding any in 7.5 or 8.0 is worthy of a party. Any in 8.5 or better are next to impossible.

That's why when I see collections of books, that have taken many years to put together, put on the market, the awe of getting a 7.0 or better book isn't so awe-some. They actually seem common. Ah, it's only a 7.0. (shrug) Man, do you know how much searching through long boxes, traveling from show to show, looking at hundreds to thousands of books, this took to find that lowly 7.0? :makepoint: Obviously many don't, but a few of us do. That's why when Keith Marlow's collection came up for sale, I was a hungry shark trying to buy everything that I could afford. 7.0s, 7.5s, 8.0s, all the way up to friggen 9.2s!!! All CGC graded, not Harley Yee graded or Superworld graded, but CGC graded. That's another topic for another day, but I would much rather buy a book that is already CGC graded, than to take the risk of buying another's raw book. That is, unless you're familiar with that seller's grading and know what you are getting. 2c

So, with that little rant over, I'll try to answer your question, Shep. As I mentioned before, pretty much all of them are as tough as nails in nice grade (7.0 or better).

AAMOW

#s 2 and 3 were always tougher for me than #127, which Chris had listed as scarce. I believe #8 was quite difficult as well.

GIC

I had difficulty finding #59, and 67. #68 is listed as scarce, but I had 7 copies of that book. That may skew results a bit, too, as he listed certain books as scarce or rare, I especially sought out and bought those books. Multiples whenever I could find them. So, they may be equally as scarce (or common) as the other books around them, but as I bought them up, they didn't appear scarce to me. (shrug)

I also had trouble finding #'s 70 and 73.

OAAW

#2 for sure is a tough book, and I believe #8 is as well, so I agree with Chris there. #'s 10, 11, 12 and 13 were difficult to find, as was #23. Chris has #'s 41 through 48 marked as scarce with 43 and 48 being rare. I'd agree with 44, 45, and 46. #69 was tough and so was #84. Super early Sgt. Rock appearance and scarce. Nice combo. :cloud9: #88 is definitely tough, as Chris mentions.

OFF

I'd say that #11 to #14 were a bit harder to find, as was #31 to #35. Surprisingly, #1-10 were easy to find with #9 popping up the most frequently. I also found OFF #51 to be hard to find. That great Heath cover was very elusive for me. :frustrated:

SSWS

The first issue, #131 is tougher than #132 and #133. 2c I had difficulty finding #s 5 and 8. The issue #6 that Chris labeled "rare", I managed to accumulate 7 copies of that one as well. Again, could be tough, but # 5 and #8 are definitely harder to find. #'s 30, 31, and 32 are difficult. Seeing a pattern here? #36 as well. A few others to note: 47, 52, 60, 70, 73, 79, 80, 81, 91, 94, 95, 96, 98, 99.

Going through my notes again makes me want to try for another run. These books truly were a joy for me to collect, and I still love them dearly. Perhaps after my mortgage is paid off. hm I'd say that right now seems to be a good time for buying. Let's hope they stay a bit low until you all have the great books you're looking for. :wishluck:

Thanks for listening guys and girls and all the best for next year and beyond! (thumbs u

Andy

Super response, Andy! I knew you'd come up with something pretty comprehensive! This is good info. Of the numbers you mentioned, GIC 67 and OAAW 69 have appeared somewhat more commonly (actually have a high grade dupe on GIC 67). I'd have to agree on the OFF 35 being tough. I've wanted that one for a long time and finally horse-traded with Keith for [what I think was] Brent's old copy. I have a nice copy of that OFF 51, but have never seen one in nice shape other than that and I've bought multiples of that in ANY condition--as long as the price was right--over the years.

I think the SSWSs you mentioned are all pretty tough, but I've seen more than one high grade copy on the SSWS 79 and 94. Unless the SAME 94 is making the rounds over and over again, I've seen at least 4 of those (including mine) in nice shape over the years. I'm thinking nearly as many for the SSWS 95. Now, do I have a 96, 98, or 99? No.

And it ain't cuz I haven't been looking. I want to say that one or more of those came up for auction at one house or another over the last couple years, but I was probably too strapped from making one too many other purchases to purchase it. There are others that I'll agree with (on the grounds that I've been unable to find copies), but I've already shot my mouth off enough about the SSWS 96-98.

Suffice to say that I agree with you about the acquisition of ANY 10¢ war book in 7.0 or better to be a monumental accomplishment.

I know this isn't the place for this, but this is the only place that this post may work. If anyone has an OAAW 93 in solid 6.0 (Raw or CGC) that they can part with please let me know.

Thanks,

-Mike

Sorry, Mike, don't have that book anymore. :sorry:

Andy

That's ok Andy. Without you I would still need about 10 books to complete my 20 book run instead of just one. (worship)

If anyone else has a copy, please let me know :wishluck:

If anyone is interested, my auctions are ending on Heritage tomorrow night and if you're playing my game, I'll need your predictions by 11:00 PM EST tonight. (thumbs u

Andy