• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Thanks guys!

Of course, I took a little license. I left off the DC bullets, price, and feature box - even made the decision to leave out the flak for a very clean, pure look.

Breaking it down as a drawing and then spotting the blacks and painting it - I really, really appreciate what an unheralded genius Grandenetti was!

Can't wait to start the next one...

Shep

That is bîtchin' beyond belief, Shep! I am astounded by your abilities! Way, way, way cool!

Is AAMOW 62 on your short list? That's always been one of my favorite Grandenetti covers.

62.jpg?1902691911494959031

Edited by Comick1

Thanks guys!

Of course, I took a little license. I left off the DC bullets, price, and feature box - even made the decision to leave out the flak for a very clean, pure look.

Breaking it down as a drawing and then spotting the blacks and painting it - I really, really appreciate what an unheralded genius Grandenetti was!

Can't wait to start the next one...

Shep

I hear ya' when I did a commission for Diggler I have a new found respect for Frazetta.

353.jpg

Hey everyone,

Ever since I saw the cover recreations that Andy had commissioned a while back, I've been planning to do one myself. So I did!

I started by choosing one of my favorite covers, Our Army at War #71, then I got my old drawing board and paints out...

IMG_0638.jpg

Then, I pencilled the general outline of the cover....

IMG_0637.jpg

Then, I took a couple of weeks painting it with acrylic paints, and india ink...

IMG_0851.jpg

And here's a closeup of the finished product. I'd love to know what everyone thinks - this was funner than hell!

IMG_0850.jpg

Why haven't you been doing this more?

I've been asking myself the same question!

After high school, I spent four years at the Ontario College of Art. I originally wanted to be an illustrator, but the illustration market was at a low ebb in the early '90s. So, I went into advertising. It's been a great career, and the business has been good to me (I'm about to enter my 20th year). But the drawing and painting had to take a back to seat to everything else.

Now, though, I have a little more time. So, I plan to do more and more of these... there's something about the 50s covers that just light me up...

Oakman - that Creepy cover is killer!

Shep

Hey everyone,

Ever since I saw the cover recreations that Andy had commissioned a while back, I've been planning to do one myself. So I did!

I started by choosing one of my favorite covers, Our Army at War #71, then I got my old drawing board and paints out...

IMG_0638.jpg

Then, I pencilled the general outline of the cover....

IMG_0637.jpg

Then, I took a couple of weeks painting it with acrylic paints, and india ink...

IMG_0851.jpg

And here's a closeup of the finished product. I'd love to know what everyone thinks - this was funner than hell!

IMG_0850.jpg

Why haven't you been doing this more?

GREAT Job Shep (thumbs u :applause::golfclap:(worship)

Dudes! Thanks for all the kudos. I'm pretty knocked out by the response.

Haven't really thought about selling these or doing commissions. I'd like to get a few more under my belt before I consider that, I think.

I've already started OFF #43, which has one of the coolest 'nighttime' color palettes in comics. Hopefully done at the end of January.

When I've done a few more, I'm thinking that I might get out my airbrush to see if I can simulate gradated effects and washtones. Endless possibilities...

Shep