• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

CALL TO ARMS!

I need your help, my friends. In Comics General, I'm running a nomination thread for best war comic cover (non-greytone) and need lots more challengers for the best cover. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5540186#Post5540186

Please, start scanning/posting/submitting your favorites to that thread. We've only got a couple of days left to accept nominations, so get those in there ASAP.

Many, many thanks!! (worship)

Andy

CALL TO ARMS!

I need your help, my friends. In Comics General, I'm running a nomination thread for best war comic cover (non-greytone) and need lots more challengers for the best cover. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5540186#Post5540186

Please, start scanning/posting/submitting your favorites to that thread. We've only got a couple of days left to accept nominations, so get those in there ASAP.

Many, many thanks!! (worship)

Andy

I don't make it to general too often so thanks for the heads-up.

:cry: I missed the the last two rounds. :(

Still scored some real Beauties! :cloud9:

Canada Post sure is slow and I can hardly wait to try out my sort of new scanner

on some fresh arrivals.

I posted these before as pictures.

Picture1539.jpg

Love this cover and Basement Comics has a nice copy on e-bay right now.

Picture1541.jpg

I forgot to nominate this book for the upcoming contest. Look how perfect the airplane is drawn leading the attack. I wish I could draw like that.

Picture1544.jpg

Great sales thread Brian!! (thumbs u

Edited by Fazybones

The contest has started, please vote for your least favorite covers. 41 covers to vote off this round, so thanks in advance for your patience and contributions! (worship)

Oh, and the rounds are only lasting for 24 hours, so please vote right away before you forget. (thumbs u

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5550613&page=1&fpart=1

Thanks again, all!

Andy

Round 2 has started, please vote for your least favorite covers. 40 covers to vote off this round, so thanks in advance for your patience and contributions! (worship)

Oh, and the rounds are only lasting for 24 hours, so please vote right away before you forget. (thumbs u

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5552895#Post5552895

Thanks again, all!

Andy

You war comic enthusiasts seem pretty sharp. I wonder if you would be kind enough to help a guy out in determining the best option (from your singular opinion) on the following quandary…

If you had roughly $3K to spend on a single war comic, would you use it on a:

7.5 Don Winslow #1 (1937)

9.6 Frontline Combat #1

6.5 Our Army at War #83

8.0 Sgt Fury #1

or

9.0 Wings Comics #1

And why?

Thank you in advance for your aid.

Yours,

Sooper Noob

You war comic enthusiasts seem pretty sharp. I wonder if you would be kind enough to help a guy out in determining the best option (from your singular opinion) on the following quandary…

9.6 Frontline Combat #1

6.5 Our Army at War #83

8.0 Sgt Fury #1

or

9.0 Wings Comics #1

And why?

Yours,

Sooper Noob

For that amount of money, I'd probably be tempted to go for the Sgt. Fury #1. $3000 just seems so much for the 1st Rock in 6.5, but hey, maybe the bar has truly been raised. I believe it'll increase in value, but I am just thinking of immediate liquidity. If you're in a jam and have to sell it quickly, I think you'd get your full amount back on the Sgt. Fury.

Andy 2c

9.6 Frontline Combat #1

6.5 Our Army at War #83

8.0 Sgt Fury #1

or

9.0 Wings Comics #1

And why?

Yours,

Sooper Noob

For that amount of money, I'd probably be tempted to go for the Sgt. Fury #1. $3000 just seems so much for the 1st Rock in 6.5, but hey, maybe the bar has truly been raised. I believe it'll increase in value, but I am just thinking of immediate liquidity. If you're in a jam and have to sell it quickly, I think you'd get your full amount back on the Sgt. Fury.

Andy 2c

Thanks Andy! That is tremendously helpful information. I appreciate it.

Not to keep pushing the subject unnecessarily, but what if it wasn't about getting immediate liquidity? Consider other factors, such as; art, scarcity, publishing line, story, appeal, long term return... Would you still pick Fury?

I know what's in the Frontline Combat #1, but there are numerous other 9.4+ copies out there, right? It's probably worth that much, but most of the high grade EC collectors have their copy, I'm imagining. I remember when those Gaines file copies were introduced to the market. Nearly 20 years later, their "flood" still hasn't been absorbed. What's interesting is the idea that ECs were among the first comics to be focused on by comics fandom. Where are all of those collectors? Were only a very small percentage of them interested in high grade comics? Or did they score their high grade copies long, long, long ago? EC war books are cool and as gritty as they get with Kurtzman and the legendary EC stable delivering some of the best art and stories that comics have ever had to offer, but they just seemed to have stagnated for the longest time.

Anybody know what if any notable art would be in the Don Winslow? Wings 1? I thought I heard Mr. Bedrock say something about Wings 1 in 9.0+ being an unusually accessible item for its age. Maybe I'm mixing that up with another Fiction House?

9.6 Frontline Combat #1

6.5 Our Army at War #83

8.0 Sgt Fury #1

or

9.0 Wings Comics #1

And why?

Yours,

Sooper Noob

Andy 2c

Thanks Andy! That is tremendously helpful information. I appreciate it.

Not to keep pushing the subject unnecessarily, but what if it wasn't about getting immediate liquidity? Consider other factors, such as; art, scarcity, publishing line, story, appeal, long term return... Would you still pick Fury?

No, in this case, I'd go with Sgt. Rock.

Art-Rock

Scarcity-Rock

Publishing line-Rock

Story-Rock

Appeal-Rock

Long term return-Rock

Fury is only an option as the vast number of Marvel collectors are now buying Sgt. Fury #1, not because they're war collectors, but completist Marvel Zombies.

I know what's in the Frontline Combat #1, but there are numerous other 9.4+ copies out there, right? It's probably worth that much, but most of the high grade EC collectors have their copy, I'm imagining. I remember when those Gaines file copies were introduced to the market. Nearly 20 years later, their "flood" still hasn't been absorbed. What's interesting is the idea that ECs were among the first comics to be focused on by comics fandom. Where are all of those collectors? Were only a very small percentage of them interested in high grade comics? Or did they score their high grade copies long, long, long ago? EC war books are cool and as gritty as they get with Kurtzman and the legendary EC stable delivering some of the best art and stories that comics have ever had to offer, but they just seemed to have stagnated for the longest time.

Anybody know what if any notable art would be in the Don Winslow? Wings 1? I thought I heard Mr. Bedrock say something about Wings 1 in 9.0+ being an unusually accessible item for its age. Maybe I'm mixing that up with another Fiction House?

Thank you Mick! Those are excellent and enlightening points and queries.

What did happen to the EC movement? What I find interesting is the notion that there was a “flood”… Not that I contest the concept, there does seem to be an existing market anomaly, so I agree with you fine sir. But, if you look at the census, there are only 17 slabbed Frontline #1’s, as compared to the near 300 Fury’s that came out 10 years after the EC war pedigree. I am taking in account that of course there will be a good number of raw copies in circulation on both titles, but comparably, we are still talking an extremely low count of the ECs vs. the Marvels. Contemporaneously, mind you, I have to imagine that there are also EC completists that are in pursuit of the books outside the war genre, thus hypothetically limiting supply. So, why is there a market perception that there are too many copies of EC War available?

For instance, is it perhaps a skewed opinion based on the fact that—even if there are less than 20 Frontline #1’s vs. the 60 OAAW #83’s on census, there is only a single 8.0 and 9.0 copy of #83 listed in contrast to the 5 copies in 9.6 (and the single 9.2 and 9.4) that are tallied for Frontline?

Or is it simply perhaps that high grade copies of most EC War issues hit the market simultaneously (regardless of issue #), which in turn created the flood effect?

What is the mathematical formula that correlates or contrasts supply vs. grade? And which is the more prominent determinant? Phew, I think we need an EC expert and a social mathematician… Is there a doctor in the house?

Wings #1 may suffer from the same phenomena; the census shows 5 copies in 8.5 and a census topping 9.4 and 9.8. But, now I think I am just making stuff up…