• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

OAAW 83 is a book that would place higher than some of the most recent OSPG Silver Age top 20 SA superhero book in terms of value. The most recent sales support this. Rock's 1st app. is in the big leagues. It is in my opinion, the first war key to compete with the superhero books. This makes it not just a war key but a major SA key. It's the book to grab even if 3 grand will now probably get you a 5.0-5.5.

OAAW 83 is a book that would place higher than some of the most recent OSPG Silver Age top 20 SA superhero book in terms of value. The most recent sales support this. Rock's 1st app. is in the big leagues. It is in my opinion, the first war key to compete with the superhero books. This makes it not just a war key but a major SA key. It's the book to grab even if 3 grand will now probably get you a 5.0-5.5.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see if Overstreet actually includes it in the silver age superhero charts or only in the war reports.

I hope Overstreet includes it the the SA top 20- it belongs there- the current market says it's more valuable than FF 2 and ASM 2 (both great books nevertheless). The interesting thing about OAAW 83 is that it is by far the most difficult to find in any grade.

OAAW 83 is also in my opinion, the "breakthrough book"- the first war key that's not just a war key but a "major SA key"- a title that we usually reserve for only SA superhero keys (which I happen to also love and collect).

Don't know much about values for war keys - but I will say the least likely candidate would probably be the Don Winslow #1. This is a title that I have to believe there are more copies extant than there are people interested in collecting them. In general I think first issues of hard to move titles are way overvalued, as frequently there are individual covers that have greater demand that are valued at far less than first issues. I suppose Capt. Marvel completists may be interested in DW #1 for the cover appearance, but how many really want to spend 3K on the book?

The 1937 Don Winslow is different than the Fawcett series. Same character, but published much earlier, and in a different format. I wish I had a scan of one, but there have been a couple sold through Heritage.

Didn't even notice the ( 1937) in the description doh! - I wasn't aware of this book at all - but reading the description it sounds more like a pulp with comic stories than a standard comic. It looks like Adventure House put out a facsimile edition in 2005. It does have a neat cover - but is there enough demand to warrant 3K for a 7.5? If it were a pulp without comics, I don't see it coming anywhere near that. Does the Harry Donenfeld connection make it desirable?

So, continuing the conversation, what other war books are, or have the potential to be, in the $3K club? Obviously G.I. Combat 87 is there. Would a high, high grade copy of Combat 1 or one of the other Atlas first issues get close? Two-Fisted Tales Annual would be around there.

You buying? :popcorn:

Combat1.jpg

So, continuing the conversation, what other war books are, or have the potential to be, in the $3K club? Obviously G.I. Combat 87 is there. Would a high, high grade copy of Combat 1 or one of the other Atlas first issues get close? Two-Fisted Tales Annual would be around there.

We'll see :grin: , I consigned my copy of Combat 1 River City pedigree CGC 9.2 to Sparkle City comics. Will be coming up for auction soon.

We'll see :grin: , I consigned my copy of Combat 1 River City pedigree CGC 9.2 to Sparkle City comics. Will be coming up for auction soon.

I'll be watching that one. Please keep me posted.

OAAW 83 is also in my opinion, the "breakthrough book"- the first war key that's not just a war key but a "major SA key"- a title that we usually reserve for only SA superhero keys (which I happen to also love and collect).

We are on the same page Jonny. I believe that OAAW #83 is not only the first war book to transcend its genre, but it is also rising into the annals of top non-superhero comics in the hobby.

I hope Overstreet includes it the the SA top 20- it belongs there- the current market says it's more valuable than FF 2 and ASM 2 (both great books nevertheless). The interesting thing about OAAW 83 is that it is by far the most difficult to find in any grade.

I share the same enthusiasm, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up (just yet). Whether Overstreet agrees or not with the open-market's opinion of the book’s worth, they will most likely proceed cautiously before doubling its current OCBPG value. And unfortunately that’s the minimum bump it will require to compete with the lower echelon superhero comics on the Top 20 list.

I am not saying it’s not possible, just not probable for 2012.

I hope I’m wrong. You can then make fun of me.

+1

About time you joined the proceedings, dude.

Of course!

I do believe the comment was, and I quote:

“Hey dude, you better get your *spoon* on the boards soon - or we’re gonna hafta kick yer *spoon*!”

Lotta bluster. It's all this talk about Sgt. Rock that gets my teacher-peacenik åss all in a tizzy.

I hope I’m wrong. You can then make fun of me.

It won't take you being wrong for me to make fun of you. :grin:

Agreed- Overstreet will take the conservative approach when it comes to this book. I'm just hoping that this book one day get the respect it truly deserves in terms of its value. I'd be curious to see where Rock's 1st app. would place in a top 20 SA keys in terms of value on this forum. Where do you think it would place?

Agreed- Overstreet will take the conservative approach when it comes to this book. I'm just hoping that this book one day get the respect it truly deserves in terms of its value. I'd be curious to see where Rock's 1st app. would place in a top 20 SA keys in terms of value on this forum. Where do you think it would place?

My guess is it will either be 20th or not on that list. Not just yet.....

A few war books I've had for a quite some time, but just recently got a CGC-friendly scanner so finally getting around to posting them. The first two I've already posted, but hopefully these scans are better than the last ones:

aamow36b.jpg

aamow38b.jpg

aamow62-1.jpg

aamow76.jpg

aamow79.jpg

aamow90.jpg