• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

OK, folks. Here's the official invite to the DC War Comics Summit/Banquet:

When: 7:45-10:00ish PM, Thursday, July 12

Where: Filippi's Pizza Grotto (the usual place) 1747 India Street San Diego, California 92101 Phone: (619) 232 - 5094

Why: Hang with a bunch of fans of the coolest genre in comics, DC war. Killer pasta and pizza, affordable prices. It'll be 20 bucks flat rate for the meal cost (not including alcohol which'll be cash-bar format and cover charge). For that 20 bucks, you get to order ANYthing you want off the menu (except alcohol) and I guarantee you'll be full and have another 3 doggy-bags of food to take back to your hotel fridge so that you can scarf it down for lunch on Friday instead of the swill they sell at the convention center.

Humminah: We're sponsoring Russ Heath's visit to Comic-Con for the first time in about 4 years. He's gonna stay in a hotel for 2 nights on our dime. Anybody coming to the summit kicks in 20 bucks for the privilege of shmoozing across the table with this legend. We'll be collecting the $$$$ in a Sgt. Rock helmet that'll look something like an upside down version of one of these:

DSCN6394.jpg

I'm sure I can get Wild Bill Kelso, Peter, Mr. Bedrock, Keith, or Adam Strange to help collect the $$ at the door when people walk in. That makes the total price for everything a measly $40.00 (including flat dinner and Heath underwriting). Deal of the century, folks!

Humminah humminah: Mr. Heath has volunteered to donate a sketch toward our resurrected art auction. It's been about 5 years since we've done one of those, so this'll be a special treat. I'm working on getting a couple other cool pieces to auction off that night. For anybody who's never been to one of the auctions, it truly is a chance for collectors to get some amayyyyyyzing art for totally affordable prices. The proceeds from the auction will help underwrite Russ Heath's hotel AND if we have anything left over, we'll kick it into a travel expense bank account for whoever the 2013 banquet guest is. (Do any of you have scans of some of the art from the souvenir books handy to show what kinds of stuff went at auction before? If you do, post 'em.) If I get any of this year's art donations in advance, I'll try & post them here before the banquet.

All collectors and families are invited. Sidenote: Folks who are bringing significant others/family need not pay beyond the single "cover-fee." So as an example, if I brought Pam, I'd pay $40.00, but Pam's cost would only be $20.00 (no cover-fee) because she's a family guest. Trying to make this as family-friendly as possible and still raise enough to cover Mr. Heath. All I ask is that you PM or email me with a headcount for who's coming. It'll be a good gig, people. Looking forward to seeing everybody!

Mick

Edited by Comick1

Oh man. :cry:

I'll see what I can do, but the prospects are looking bitter. :cry::cry:

Please, if you remember, to give Russ Heath my best. I'm a fan that would love to have made it, but most likely can't.

Please let him know how thankful I am for his contributions to the field, and that he will never, ever be forgotton. (worship)

Andy

Is there a separate table in the corner for "War That Time Forgot" collectors? :shy:

We put them outside next to the doghouse. :kidaround:

I'm sure I can get Wild Bill Kelso, Peter, Mr. Bedrock, Keith, or Adam Strange to help collect the $$ at the door when people walk in.

I'm always happy to collect money. :devil:

I'm sure I can get Wild Bill Kelso, Peter, Mr. Bedrock, Keith, or Adam Strange to help collect the $$ at the door when people walk in.

I'm always happy to collect money. :devil:

.......* ahem *......aren't you the chap with a disdain for green rectangular sheets of paper with pictures of dead white men on them :taptaptap: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Maybe he thinks people are going to pay their way in with war books….
:idea:

Is there a separate table in the corner for "War That Time Forgot" collectors? :shy:

Hey Bill,

Dinosaur collectors are welcome. About 10 years ago when we finally stopped relegating dinosaur war collectors to the Pizza Hut down the street, Mike Esposito donated a recreation of a dinosaur war cover he did with Ross Andru toward our auction in absentia. Wish he was still around to do that. :( We've had some truly astounding guests over the years, many of whom are no longer with us.

Mick

Well, speaking of bringing war books to the dinner. . .would people be interested in bringing war books from their collections as entries in the auction? We could have two simultaneous auctions, one for art, and one for actual war comics. The proceeds from the donated art would go 100% to the auction. That's the model we've followed for MANY years, but I've often wondered about the possibility of people just bringing cool stuff or even a single piece from their collection of personal war books. At various times, a few different collectors have recommended a format where a collector would put a book in to the auction and reap 75% (or something like that) of the hammer price and the other 25% would go to the Big-5 war banquet account for helping underwrite the expenses of the artists in future years.

We've never done that, but I'm open for exploring something along those lines. Using that kind of format, we might even get some of the old comics dealers to throw in a cool book or two to help support us. Reaping 75% of a reasonable reserve price or high bid could be a win-win for us AND potential dealer participants. I think it would make it pretty fun. Maybe some of you think it's a TERRIBLE idea. Let me know. I won't have my feelings hurt. Alternative ideas or implications I didn't consider would be welcome here.

Edited by Comick1

OK, folks. Here's the official invite to the DC War Comics Summit/Banquet:

When: 7:45-10:00ish PM, Thursday, July 12

Where: Filippi's Pizza Grotto (the usual place) 1747 India Street San Diego, California 92101 Phone: (619) 232 - 5094

Why: Hang with a bunch of fans of the coolest genre in comics, DC war. Killer pasta and pizza, affordable prices. It'll be 20 bucks flat rate for the meal cost (not including alcohol which'll be cash-bar format and cover charge). For that 20 bucks, you get to order ANYthing you want off the menu (except alcohol) and I guarantee you'll be full and have another 3 doggy-bags of food to take back to your hotel fridge so that you can scarf it down for lunch on Friday instead of the swill they sell at the convention center.

Humminah: We're sponsoring Russ Heath's visit to Comic-Con for the first time in about 4 years. He's gonna stay in a hotel for 2 nights on our dime. Anybody coming to the summit kicks in 20 bucks for the privilege of shmoozing across the table with this legend. We'll be collecting the $$$$ in a Sgt. Rock helmet that'll look something like an upside down version of one of these:

DSCN6394.jpg

I'm sure I can get Wild Bill Kelso, Peter, Mr. Bedrock, Keith, or Adam Strange to help collect the $$ at the door when people walk in. That makes the total price for everything a measly $40.00 (including flat dinner and Heath underwriting). Deal of the century, folks!

Humminah humminah: Mr. Heath has volunteered to donate a sketch toward our resurrected art auction. It's been about 5 years since we've done one of those, so this'll be a special treat. I'm working on getting a couple other cool pieces to auction off that night. For anybody who's never been to one of the auctions, it truly is a chance for collectors to get some amayyyyyyzing art for totally affordable prices. The proceeds from the auction will help underwrite Russ Heath's hotel AND if we have anything left over, we'll kick it into a travel expense bank account for whoever the 2013 banquet guest is. (Do any of you have scans of some of the art from the souvenir books handy to show what kinds of stuff went at auction before? If you do, post 'em.) If I get any of this year's art donations in advance, I'll try & post them here before the banquet.

All collectors and families are invited. Sidenote: Folks who are bringing significant others/family need not pay beyond the single "cover-fee." So as an example, if I brought Pam, I'd pay $40.00, but Pam's cost would only be $20.00 (no cover-fee) because she's a family guest. Trying to make this as family-friendly as possible and still raise enough to cover Mr. Heath. All I ask is that you PM or email me with a headcount for who's coming. It'll be a good gig, people. Looking forward to seeing everybody!

Mick

That helmet looks like the one worn by Lt. Gil Hanley (Rick Jason) on the TV program "Combat" Boy was that a great series--one of the best in TV history. They are airing the entire series on either Cable or DirectTV. On DirecTV it's on channel 20

SLR

Hey Bill,

Dinosaur collectors are welcome. About 10 years ago when we finally stopped relegating dinosaur war collectors to the Pizza Hut down the street, Mike Esposito donated a recreation of a dinosaur war cover he did with Ross Andru toward our auction in absentia. Wish he was still around to do that. :( We've had some truly astounding guests over the years, many of whom are no longer with us.

Mick

Thanks Mick!

Its good to know that equal rights movement for the dino war collectors are making strides!

If you have a scan of the Esposito recreation, I would love to see it!

I'll see if I can dig up the Esposito scan, Bill.

Yes, we've made strides for dinosaur war collectors. One day, we may yet see a dinosaur-war collector become the president of the United States!

ok,a pkg arrived today,with my last gi combat i need for a complete d.c. run. i am not sure who to thank,but thank you to all involved. i will try to pay back this act of kindness by somehow paying it forward to someone else down the line. again,i thank you

ok,a pkg arrived today,with my last gi combat i need for a complete d.c. run. i am not sure who to thank,but thank you to all involved. i will try to pay back this act of kindness by somehow paying it forward to someone else down the line. again,i thank you

That is awesome, congrats! :applause: