• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

:applause:

Congrats!!

Completing that GIC run is a monumental achievement. Feel proud of yourself. (thumbs u

no time to rest! less than 95 books to finish the other big 4 titles! but its going to be a little slower,with most issues in the 1-20 runs of each. but ,what fun

:applause:

Congrats!!

Completing that GIC run is a monumental achievement. Feel proud of yourself. (thumbs u

no time to rest! less than 95 books to finish the other big 4 titles! but its going to be a little slower,with most issues in the 1-20 runs of each. but ,what fun

Those 1-20 and 21-30 are very difficult to put together. Good luck and just pick away at them. (thumbs u

On the way from the Metrodome......Kirby c/a and a rare Ditko war story....for a very fair price. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

battle70.jpg

Great book Jim! (thumbs u

Congrats on the GIC run Bill. What an awesome set of books to put

together and the last one was sent from some generous board member. :cloud9:

What an amazing place and my guess would be that Andy character.

Well, speaking of bringing war books to the dinner. . .would people be interested in bringing war books from their collections as entries in the auction? We could have two simultaneous auctions, one for art, and one for actual war comics. The proceeds from the donated art would go 100% to the auction. That's the model we've followed for MANY years, but I've often wondered about the possibility of people just bringing cool stuff or even a single piece from their collection of personal war books. At various times, a few different collectors have recommended a format where a collector would put a book in to the auction and reap 75% (or something like that) of the hammer price and the other 25% would go to the Big-5 war banquet account for helping underwrite the expenses of the artists in future years.

We've never done that, but I'm open for exploring something along those lines. Using that kind of format, we might even get some of the old comics dealers to throw in a cool book or two to help support us. Reaping 75% of a reasonable reserve price or high bid could be a win-win for us AND potential dealer participants. I think it would make it pretty fun. Maybe some of you think it's a TERRIBLE idea. Let me know. I won't have my feelings hurt. Alternative ideas or implications I didn't consider would be welcome here.

I don’t believe this topic received the attention it deserved. This is actually a pretty good idea. And it certainly would help keep the wheels greased for the ongoing event. Question is…. what would truly be auction worthy? That is; what could be independently submitted that would garner some moderately good interest (and some reasonably acceptable revenue). Hmmm….

I mean, would peeps really be fired up about a DC Special #5 in 8.5?? How about an OAAW #107 in 7.5? How about some original art? But is anyone willing to let even their lesser OA go? Or does this require someone to throw down? Like a 9.8 Frontline Combat #1 or a very high grade Wings #1?

Only a week before the event, anyone want to contribute ideas? Maybe we can zero-in on something that someone is willing to (generously) donate that would actually get some interest/action.

Thoughts and suggestions please.

Well, speaking of bringing war books to the dinner. . .would people be interested in bringing war books from their collections as entries in the auction? We could have two simultaneous auctions, one for art, and one for actual war comics. The proceeds from the donated art would go 100% to the auction. That's the model we've followed for MANY years, but I've often wondered about the possibility of people just bringing cool stuff or even a single piece from their collection of personal war books. At various times, a few different collectors have recommended a format where a collector would put a book in to the auction and reap 75% (or something like that) of the hammer price and the other 25% would go to the Big-5 war banquet account for helping underwrite the expenses of the artists in future years.

We've never done that, but I'm open for exploring something along those lines. Using that kind of format, we might even get some of the old comics dealers to throw in a cool book or two to help support us. Reaping 75% of a reasonable reserve price or high bid could be a win-win for us AND potential dealer participants. I think it would make it pretty fun. Maybe some of you think it's a TERRIBLE idea. Let me know. I won't have my feelings hurt. Alternative ideas or implications I didn't consider would be welcome here.

I don’t believe this topic received the attention it deserved. This is actually a pretty good idea. And it certainly would help keep the wheels greased for the ongoing event. Question is…. what would truly be auction worthy? That is; what could be independently submitted that would garner some moderately good interest (and some reasonably acceptable revenue). Hmmm….

I mean, would peeps really be fired up about a DC Special #5 in 8.5?? How about an OAAW #107 in 7.5? How about some original art? But is anyone willing to let even their lesser OA go? Or does this require someone to throw down? Like a 9.8 Frontline Combat #1 or a very high grade Wings #1?

Only a week before the event, anyone want to contribute ideas? Maybe we can zero-in on something that someone is willing to (generously) donate that would actually get some interest/action.

I actually think the less expensive, less important stuff is a better idea for an auction like this. No big emotional attachment or expectations on the part of buyers or contributors. No big demands on anyone's pocketbooks. It would keep it fun, create less stress, and less chance for any butthurt feelings.

It's a good idea. Also, having that reserve price should be fine with the audience. Everyone there would understand that the items are most likely quite dear to them and therefore wouldn't want them potentially selling for peanuts. If it didn't hit the reserve, no big deal. (thumbs u

I would think really oddball stuff would have greater interest than just books, but who knows. Artwork would be ideal, as it's one of a kind. Toys or peripheral memorabilia could do well.

Wish I could join youse. :cry:

Airfare/accomodations and an invite for Fay? (shrug)

I sure envy you guys and I'll be thinking of all of you that night. (thumbs u

The invite goes without question Fay!

For the travel – we may need to cross our fingers that the Royal Canadian Air Force will do their part. However, accommodations are NOT a problem… I heard Comick is putting all 40 of us up at his house for the entire week! Thanks Bro!!

I dont believe this topic received the attention it deserved. This is actually a pretty good idea. And it certainly would help keep the wheels greased for the ongoing event. Question is. what would truly be auction worthy? That is; what could be independently submitted that would garner some moderately good interest (and some reasonably acceptable revenue). Hmmm.

I actually think the less expensive, less important stuff is a better idea for an auction like this. No big emotional attachment or expectations on the part of buyers or contributors. No big demands on anyone's pocketbooks. It would keep it fun, create less stress, and less chance for any butthurt feelings.

I think avoiding butthurt at all costs is a good tactic (I’ve read about that on other threads and it is not a good thing). Good call Richard. You were always the smart one.

I think if you feel like bringing something it shouldn’t be a prized possession, and you should set a reserve if need be (thanks Andy). Mick also suggested that the seller keep a good portion of the sale amount anyway… All in all a sound plan.

I would be happy to post what I might bring… but, I kinda wanna hear what others might contribute (if anything). Watcha guys thinking?

I'll dig around and let you guys know in the next couple days. Also, can I get a headcount from people who are planning on being there (with significant others included in the headcount) via PM, please. You don't need to respond if your'e not going.

For the travel – we may need to cross our fingers that the Royal Canadian Air Force will do their part. However, accommodations are NOT a problem… I heard Comick is putting all 40 of us up at his house for the entire week! Thanks Bro!!

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the thought but I can never save up enough money.

As far as the Royal Canadian Airforce goes they might drop me off in

Afghanistan and I know for sure a Burka would NOT look good on me.

I would love to spend a night at Mick's house as long as he let me sleep in his comic room carefully flipping through that awesome collection. :luhv:

You lucky devils have a great time and like I said I will be thinking of all of

you. :applause: Make sure you say hello to Keith for me. :)

Edited by Fazybones

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the thought but I can never save up enough money.

As far as the Royal Canadian Airforce goes they might drop me off in

Afghanistan and I know for sure a Burka would NOT look good on me.

I would love to spend a night a Mick's house as long as he let me sleep in his comic room carefully flipping through that awesome collection. :luhv:

You lucky devils have a great time and like I said I will be thinking of all of

you. :applause: Make sure you say hello to Keith for me. :)

You are all welcome to stay with me during Comic-Con. I just can't figure it. . .there've been virtually zero vacancies since I reduced the payment plan from 5 high-grade-10¢-GI-Combats to only 3.

:whistle:

Edited by Comick1

Got it!

Say hi to Keith for Fay, take pix for Bill977, and bring high grade GIC’s for Mi…. Uh, HEY! Waitaminute?!!

and set one or two aside for Andy..... :whistle:

A Curator Pedigree.

SSWS13885CuratorPed.jpg

One of the best war covers of all time. Very cool to own a Curator. How fresh is that book?

Ken,

I finally finished off the last payment on another package deal and can give you guys an update on this Beautiful Curator Copy. I think I now have 8 different pedigrees and I don't want to sound like an expert and this Curator is by far the best looking and the freshest looking of the other Pedigrees I own. The back cover is white, the gloss is outstanding and the pages are awesome that are probably just shy of being white and they have that awesome smell. :cloud9:

I don't own a Pacific Coast, Boston, Suscha News or a Twin Cities to compare them against this book and the Curator is quite impressive IMO.

A few more books in this awesome package that arrived today.

AAMOW86CGC80DS.jpg

AAMOW10280.jpg

SSWS14890-1.jpg

SSWS149NM.jpg

One more surprise 10 cent book I can't seem to find a scan of. :luhv:

My sort of new/used scanner broke down just now and I had to go back to

the sales thread to grab a few decent pics of slabs. You've never heard this

before and it appears CGC was a little tough on this one. :P

GIC131CGC80.jpg

Edited by Fazybones

Great books, Fay!! Really, really nice. :applause:

Also wanted to say to the guys in San Diego to have a great time. Have a slice of pizza for me, please. Just no red wine vinegar this time, Mick. :wink: