• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

OK, here are some photos of some of the art that was submitted to the banquet auction. These are quick little snaps from my camera phone so they ain't optimal, but you get the idea. In the past our auctioneer was Bob Casali who did it with humor and conviction, but between Adam Strange, Matt, and I, we managed to auction all the pieces off.

There was a cool Scott Shaw! piece (lettered and captioned cover look with tanks vs. Dino from the Flintstones) that pulled in some good money, but I didn't get a chance to take a snapshot of it. I'll try and track down the new owner of it and get a scan uploaded.

aragones.jpg

tucci.jpg

heath.jpg

adams.jpg

glanzman.jpg

We auctioned off some comics in the auction as well. It wasn't ALL about altruism in that case. 25% of the proceeds for the collector-donated stuff went to the Big-5 account and 75% went to the donees. Matt and I donated all the comics and everything went for healthy prices. In all, between the comics and art, we collected about $1500 in addition to some generous donations from thecollectron, OV, and Andy Greenham. Thanks fellers! We're gonna pay for Heath's hotel bill, send some $$ out to Sam Glanzman, and keep a bit for next year's war chest. I'll post an account balance when I deposit all the $$ (still need to deposit OV's and Andy's donations). And thanks to all the people who hung out at the banquet. Heath was in great form!

By the way, we received Sam Glanzman's art too late for it to make it in the banquet (the Sgt. Rock above was a piece I donated), but I promised all the war banqueteers that I'd make it a closed auction only available to the war folks on this board and the attendees of the banquet when I got the art in hand. Well, it's in hand, now. There are two pieces. One's a page from GIC or OAAW from the 70s and one's a recreation of a double-page "Battle Album" splash with photostat lettering but everything else original art (recreation). Any recommendations for how to hold an online closed auction without messing with Ebay?

Edited by Comick1

Were they selling the GIC cover recreation laying there on the table?

That's just my blown up photo of the actual comic. . .don't I WISH it was the cover recreation!!!! We just put it there to get people's attention.

I was told that Heath will only do one recreation of any particular item. There is a GIC 87 recreation out there, as it sold on eBay about 2 years ago. I was very excited to have a chance to buy it and I sure tried. It went for more money than I was willing to spend at the time. Wish I had another chance at it. :(

That's just my blown up photo of the actual comic. . .don't I WISH it was the cover recreation!!!! We just put it there to get people's attention.

Hmmm......using GIC 87 to get people's attention....sounds familiar. :baiting:

OK, here are some photos of some of the art that was submitted to the banquet auction. These are quick little snaps from my camera phone so they ain't optimal, but you get the idea. In the past our auctioneer was Bob Casali who did it with humor and conviction, but between Adam Strange, Matt, and I, we managed to auction all the pieces off.

There was a cool Scott Shaw! piece (lettered and captioned cover look with tanks vs. Dino from the Flintstones) that pulled in some good money, but I didn't get a chance to take a snapshot of it. I'll try and track down the new owner of it and get a scan uploaded.

aragones.jpg

tucci.jpg

heath.jpg

adams.jpg

glanzman.jpg

We auctioned off some comics in the auction as well. It wasn't ALL about altruism in that case. 25% of the proceeds for the collector-donated stuff went to the Big-5 account and 75% went to the donees. Matt and I donated all the comics and everything went for healthy prices. In all, between the comics and art, we collected about $1500 in addition to some generous donations from thecollectron, OV, and Andy Greenham. Thanks fellers! We're gonna pay for Heath's hotel bill, send some $$ out to Sam Glanzman, and keep a bit for next year's war chest. I'll post an account balance when I deposit all the $$ (still need to deposit OV's and Andy's donations). And thanks to all the people who hung out at the banquet. Heath was in great form!

By the way, we received Sam Glanzman's art too late for it to make it in the banquet (the Sgt. Rock above was a piece I donated), but I promised all the war banqueteers that I'd make it a closed auction only available to the war folks on this board and the attendees of the banquet when I got the art in hand. Well, it's in hand, now. There are two pieces. One's a page from GIC or OAAW from the 70s and one's a recreation of a double-page "Battle Album" splash with photostat lettering but everything else original art (recreation). Any recommendations for how to hold an online closed auction without messing with Ebay?

I only got to see the Adams and Aragones in person, but those are all wonderful pieces (and certainly worth repeating in a big giant quote). I regret missing the dinner this year.

Hmmm......using GIC 87 to get people's attention....sounds familiar. :baiting:

:blush:

aragones.jpg

tucci.jpg

heath.jpg

adams.jpg

glanzman.jpg

Wow, I didn't even see this post before! doh!

Thanks for sharing, Mick. What wonderful artwork and I sure wish I coulda been there. :(

If the person that won that Heath drawing wants to sell it, please let them know that I would be interested. :cloud9:

As for the auctions for the Glanzman art, I'll have a look today.

Andy

I have the Glanzman art in hand, but haven't had a chance to scan and post it yet. I'm not sure how to post it in the sale forum. I think I have to put an "out-the-door" price on it and then let people bid it up until a designated time. Is that right? Maybe one of you with previous selling experience can tell me for sure. . .

I have the Glanzman art in hand, but haven't had a chance to scan and post it yet. I'm not sure how to post it in the sale forum. I think I have to put an "out-the-door" price on it and then let people bid it up until a designated time. Is that right? Maybe one of you with previous selling experience can tell me for sure. . .

People have gone the auction route on the boards and you are correct that so long as you provide clear indication as to when the auction ends, what the bidding increments are and how the time will be confirmed, you should be set to go once you start the thread & auction.

People have gone the auction route on the boards and you are correct that so long as you provide clear indication as to when the auction ends, what the bidding increments are and how the time will be confirmed, you should be set to go once you start the thread & auction.

Yup. I just had 2 auctions in the For Sale section (Gold/Silver/Bronze), and as long as you have a "Buy it now" price, you'll be fine. You do the auction, say start the item at $1.00 or whatever, and have a time that marks the end of the auction. Whoever has the highest bid at the end, wins it, unless someone snaps it up at your buy it now price.

Hey Scrooge and Andy,

Thanks for weighing in. Everything computes, but I don't know what Scrooge means by "how the time will be confirmed." Please explain a bit further, guys. I'm grateful for your input.

Mick

Edited by Comick1

I just mean to say that you need to state clearly how you will determine the winner. For example, you say that bidding ends at 10:00 p.m. board time and then two similar bids come in at 10:00 and since the board does not record seconds, you state that the first posted to the board wins. It's happened before that bids come in at the same minute according to the board time tag. Unlikely but you want to get in front of such issues.

Thanks so much, Scrooge! I appreciate you and Andy taking the time to explain those anomalies.

Hopefully, I'll get some time to post the art in the next week. I'll let everybody know when it'll start.

Mick

I finally found a half decent looking copy of OFF 20 and it's easily one of

my top five DC War covers.

OFF2060.jpg

I scored this beauty soon to be cracked from my favorite e-bay seller and I

guess that's all he is and I thought we were friends all these seven years. :(

OAAW50CGC65.jpg

I just finished reading all four issues of Vertigo's "War Story" released in

2003 and they were awesome. Garth Ennis is an incredible writer and if

any of you haven't read these I would highly recommend them. (thumbs u

I owe some of my war buddies an apology and I deleted three pages worth

of PMs and I'm really going through some problems at work that could