• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

I haven't posted in this thread in a bit.

RIP Mr. Kubert. It was nice to at least have gotten to speak with him for a few minutes. A wonderful man.

aamow18.jpg

Rock's pop is gone. I am stunned. He's the reason (along with Russ Heath) that I've collected war comics for so many years now. Actually, Heath was on my map somewhat AFTER Kubert.

Kubert's art graced the first comic I ever had a true passion for. . .the Tarzan Limited Collector's Edition C-29. I was about 5, maybe 6 years old when I saw it at this guy's booth at the SD Comicon during the El Cortez years. My mom had just handed me a dollar and said I could spend it as I liked. She was goading me on to buying some kiddie comics in the 10¢ bins. It went something like, "Mickey, you can get TEN comics from over HERE!." I said, "I want THAT [Tarzan] comic!" She even tried a second time: "But that's only ONE comic and you can get TEN right here." My stubborn bean would have nothing of it. That was the first time that I remember seeing a comic book that just blew me away. Check out Tarzan's face:

tarzan.jpg

To my 5-6 year-old brain, there was something truly compelling about that cover. Maybe the green, maybe the treasury-size, maybe the fact that I had a copy of the LCE C-22 (part 1) kickin' around the house (probably bought by my 8 year-old brother) that I'd pored over many times, but most likely the sheer badåss savagery of Tarzan himself. By reading that, I transformed my scrawny little 1st grade self into the Lord of the Jungle. The moody stuff on the other side of that cover was something I read until the thing fell apart. It didn't really occur to me until a couple years later that there were myriad artists who ALL had their own artistic styles. But in retrospect, it was Joe Kubert whose killer line work and composition made me aware of the notion that NOT all comics were created equally. It began to dawn on me that whoever that guy was that drew Tarzan ALSO was the guy whose art was on the cover of Sgt. Rock comics that I was buying with my milk money (2 days worth) on my way home from school at the 7-Eleven on the corner of 52nd St. and El Cajon Blvd.

Mick I know we have compared notes on all the parallels in our lives… but it’s just uncanny to consider the similarities on how we both discovered Kubert. I forgot that you and I were both indoctrinated through his work on Tarzan… And at about the same age too! Crazy. I am also amused because it seems that after I discovered Rock, I was snapping- up Kubert war books at a 7-11 just a few miles away from you. Nuts…

What a sad sad day it was yesterday and wasn't it only six weeks ago that

Matt and Richard had an fantastic chance to interview him and he sounded

like he was a true gentleman and looked quite healthy. I pray for his family in

these hard times.

:(

That was one of the most memorable events of my life. I am so glad I got to do the panel with him. It’s even sweeter that Richard was there too.

Speaking of memorable (and uncanny) something arrived at my office a week ago that I have to tell you about.

As you all know, about 75 days ago I had the extraordinary opportunity to spend some time with Joe where I moderated a panel on Kubert and his work in war comics. Aside from having the singular fortune of speaking with him on several occasions over the course of the weekend, I was lucky enough to have Joe sign a few items. Among items that he signed, were a couple of posters that were used to promote the panel at the con. Well, feeling slightly foolish but egged-on by my assistant, I also added my signature to the comic panel poster. Not really because I am significant in any manner, but more as an act of memorializing the occasion. It’s not like I was planning on selling the thing.

Naturally, a few weeks after the panel, I sent the poster in to be framed. This arrived a little over a week ago:

WarPanel.jpg

Little did I know how significant this poster would be to me.

I thought this would be a very appropriate post for my 83rd posting!

JoeKubert_11.jpg

Hail Joe Kubert!

Great memories, Matt. We are so lucky to have met the genius himself and experienced first-hand what it was like to be a kid and discovering the stunning Kubert work within. Kubert's style is just so unique in comics. Nobody drew a grimacing face like that. Nobody made a hero look LESS like somebody you wanna be pickin' a fight with than Kubert. What a monumental body of work from a colossus in the industry! Thanks for sharing those pics!

JoeKubert_11.jpg

Hail Joe Kubert!

Great memories, Matt. We are so lucky to have met the genius himself and experienced first-hand what it was like to be a kid and discovering the stunning Kubert work within. Kubert's style is just so unique in comics. Nobody drew a grimacing face like that. Nobody made a hero look LESS like somebody you wanna be pickin' a fight with than Kubert. What a monumental body of work from a colossus in the industry! Thanks for sharing those pics!

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

JoeKubert_11.jpg

Hail Joe Kubert!

Sorry, I somehow skipped past this beauty of a picture/story. Thanks for posting it, Matt. Even though you're on post #83, I hope you continue to contribute here. Remember, #84 is a scarce Rock book and #85 is the first Ice Cream Soldier. 2c

These are great photos in remembrance of the great Joe Kubert and his work. Here is a link to my story of how I met him and was able to get a bunch of his books signed. It's from a while back and has lots of pics. What a tremendous talent, and a very kind person.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3974779&fpart=1