• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Haven't chimed in in quite a while (aside from the unfortunate news about Joe Kubert, bless him). But just saw the last few pages of the thread which deal with some the 'existential metaphysical big deal' questions surrounding collecting war books... particularly in high grade.

Around this time last year, I made my last 'big' purchase of war books - not a ton of money, but enough that I had to be a little creative with my finances that month. That's when I realized a few painful truths:

- All the books were upgrades... in some cases, .5 of a grade up. And I said to myself 'This is just nuts.'

- The books sat unopened for two months before I opened them and looked at them.

- Most of them were early issues that I bought 'for the having' and not 'for the enjoying.' (though admittedly, there is often 'enjoying' in the 'just having')

- I took a moment to add up what I spent on books in the past five years. And that was a big 'gulp' moment. BIG.

I had gotten caught up in a completionist, money-is-no-object mentality. I realized that - for me - the whole thing had gotten a little hollow.

So, I decided to sell my silver books then and there. Which I did (and thanks again to all who picked some up!)

The result?

Sure I miss my silver books somtimes. But I'm not scrambling to pay off the 'latest' stack of books, which I seemed to be doing with increasing frequency. And the money I made on the sales last year? I think I put it to good use - I paid for a cruise with my family, and cut up some credit cards. And I've learned to appreciate the books I kept all that much more.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to buy and flip war books for a quick buck. Neither am I knocking the pursuit of uber-high grade and/or complete runs. But for me, who was once totally up to my neck in comics, it was really, really healthy to step back and take a critical look at my collecting habits. I wish I had done it sooner.

Hope all are well and that everyone had a great summer!

Shep

:applause:

Any thoughts on the OAAW #83 CGC 7.0 that just sold for $8,500 on Comiclink ?

One thought...damn that was fast. I just listed it yesterday. And aggressively. And got no counter.

I think I've reached my goal for collecting DC war comics, and then I wondered, what's the goal of the rest of you folks? Are you collecting keys, washtones, certain runs, etc.? :gossip: I'm very curious if anyone wants to share! Have any of you reached your end goal, or do you keep trading and selling?

:shy:

I think I've reached my goal for collecting DC war comics, and then I wondered, what's the goal of the rest of you folks? Are you collecting keys, washtones, certain runs, etc.? :gossip: I'm very curious if anyone wants to share! Have any of you reached your end goal, or do you keep trading and selling?

:shy:

I reached my goal a couple of times, Mervin, and that was to put together a complete run of the big five. An enormous job that gave me incredible satisfaction. :whee:

Now, I'm buying books that I like, with the intentions of holding for at least one week, and then finding a new home for them. In seriousness, I would like to build the 10 cent set again, but I'm afraid to start. I absolutely love buying and selling, and I love war books, so it makes sense for me to buy and sell war books. I'm not that good at it because I often lose money, but it sure is enjoyable. :cloud9:

Actually, this is where my story now ties into Mick's. I didn't have any change of heart until I visited Mick and his family, and actually got to see the beauty of them after they had left my possession. Oh, I was floored. Perhaps I didn't show it too much, but not only did I see an absolutely astonishing collection of books, but the passion that I used to feel, rushed back and smacked me in the face, yelling "What the $%#^ did you do??".

I felt torn inside. Until I actually left Mick's place did I come back down to my happy land of unicorns, rainbows and lollipops. :cloud9:

...and I do love your place, too, Mick. :shy:

It was a pleasure having you come and visit, Andy. Great time had by all! There are few people who have the "war comics bug" more than you, Andy. Everybody on these boards knows what kinda class-act you are. Thanks for the kudos, dude. It means a lot from a person with your eye for collecting. (thumbs u

Let me qualify this- "hotttest SA DC key."

I would somewhat agree, but the market for this book is harder to quantify than other keys because there are just so few copies being offered out there .... it may be somewhat of a chicken and the egg... every time there is one for sale, it gets snatched up quickly and at a premium ... driving the demand up even more since collectors don't want to give up any copies - especially at cgc 5.0 or above which hardly come to market; then the collectors who still need one can't find another one for sale!!

The same can't be said for Showcase#4,22, B&B#28, Flash#105, JLA#1, etc. since there are lots of sales and in various conditions.

I guess my point IMHO is, this might not be the "hottest" SA DC key since DC war is a niche market and not mainstream, but I would say it is the "toughest" SA DC key ... and the Clink sale is very reflective of the market and how difficult the book is. If anything, the price might look like a bargain in the next few years considering HA had a cgc 8.0 go for almost $17K last year. With the passing of Kubert, there might be a greater appreciation of the book going foward also since his legacy has always been tied to Rock.

I would somewhat agree, but the market for this book is harder to quantify than other keys because there are just so few copies being offered out there .... it may be somewhat of a chicken and the egg... every time there is one for sale, it gets snatched up quickly and at a premium ... driving the demand up even more since collectors don't want to give up any copies - especially at cgc 5.0 or above which hardly come to market; then the collectors who still need one can't find another one for sale!!

The same can't be said for Showcase#4,22, B&B#28, Flash#105, JLA#1, etc. since there are lots of sales and in various conditions.

I guess my point IMHO is, this might not be the "hottest" SA DC key since DC war is a niche market and not mainstream, but I would say it is the "toughest" SA DC key ... and the Clink sale is very reflective of the market and how difficult the book is. If anything, the price might look like a bargain in the next few years considering HA had a cgc 8.0 go for almost $17K last year. With the passing of Kubert, there might be a greater appreciation of the book going foward also since his legacy has always been tied to Rock.

I made a 22k offer on that 8.0 and the seller declined. :(

Based on the 7.0 sale, can anyboby guess what a nice 6.0 #83 would go for?

tough to say - if you put it in an auction and you get a couple of high roller bidders trying to snipe, I wouldn't be surprised if you hit $7K these days (in a perfect storm). Again, still no telling what the market holds for this book, especially for something above 5.0-5.5. The book has been overlooked for a long time.

Why ? Do you have one to sell ? PM me ! :)

tough to say - if you put it in an auction and you get a couple of high roller bidders trying to snipe, I wouldn't be surprised if you hit $7K these days (in a perfect storm). Again, still no telling what the market holds for this book, especially for something above 5.0-5.5. The book has been overlooked for a long time.

IF it has OW pages or better.....I'd put it on Clink for 9K and see what happens. There was NO resistance on the 7.0. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I made a 22k offer on that 8.0 and the seller declined. :(

Not surprised - true collectors buy this book to hold, it's not a "flip" book. I bid on that 8.0 myself and couldn't keep up once it got past $12K ! Who knows how far the winner would have went with his / her max bid .....

IF it has OW pages or better.....I'd put it on Clink for 9K and see what happens. There was NO resistance on the 7.0. GOD BLESS...

OW PQ, Structurally very nice.

Edited by peewee22

......if you're not married to it.....put it on Clink for 12K.....there's no law against it and it may end up selling. I've been VERY surprised by some of my fixed price sales and those books weren't even mega keys like yours. GOD BLESS....

......if you're not married to it.....put it on Clink for 12K.....there's no law against it and it may end up selling. I've been VERY surprised by some of my fixed price sales and those books weren't even mega keys like yours. GOD BLESS....

Done (11k price) !

Done (11k price) !

......this should be interesting. GOD BLESS.....