• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Beautiful books Keith and Andy. :cloud9::applause: :applause: :applause:

How many more days do you think you will keep listing books

Keith ? Some real Beauties that I've just missed due to a certain

board member. :insane: (except for the GIC 124 (worship) )

Hope to see you posting more Keith and any books you show

us like that are a real treat. :)

Edited by Fazybones

Lots of wonderful books!!! :applause:

If you de-slab this one you will find a fabulous Infantino story inside.

SSWS18.jpg

Thanks to Andy, I am able to start posting a few scans. First is an OFF #71 9.0.

It is a rarity in that it is a DOUBLE COVER!!

Keith

KelseyMarlow1041.jpg

:takeit:

That's amazing!!! (worship)

Gorgeous copy!

It's also a Roy Lichtenstein source book.

I think that the painting is called Takka Takka -- a blown up panel with that sound effect. Does anyone have a scan of the actual panel?

Takka Takka

roy_lichtenstein_gallery_19.jpg

Jack

Thanks to Andy, I am able to start posting a few scans. First is an OFF #71 9.0.

It is a rarity in that it is a DOUBLE COVER!!

Keith

KelseyMarlow1041.jpg

A few war books from the skypinkblu pedigree.

All-American Men of War 37, Sep-56. I like this one a lot -- classic DC "giant hand attaching explosive to the bottom of German tank" cover by Grandenetti. Is this one of the first examples? Unfortunately, Sharon decided that there weren't enough swastikas on the cover and took matters into her own hands with a ballpoint pen. Otherwise an attractive reader copy.

Jack

58049-AAMOW37.jpg

Not many Ajax/Farrell war books on this thread.

The Fighting Man 4 from Feb-53. It's a beater, but interesting to see what the minor publishers were up to pre-code. I don't have any idea about credits, but the interior artwork is pretty crude.

Jack

58050-fighting.jpg

I was glad to find an affordable copy of Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales 1 from Winter 1964. Definitely a reader with creases, wrinkles, spine split, etc. Lots of classic reprints.

Jack

58051-SgtRockBattle.jpg

Not many Ajax/Farrell war books on this thread.

The Fighting Man 4 from Feb-53. It's a beater, but interesting to see what the minor publishers were up to pre-code. I don't have any idea about credits, but the interior artwork is pretty crude.

Jack

58050-fighting.jpg

Those are all great books, Jack. I'm especially fond of lesser known publishers such as Farrell here. I've got a smattering but I don't think I have this book.

Very nice! (thumbs u

Andy

I don't know how Brent did, but I was bummed that I got pooched on the Oakland OAAW #184.... I thought that it would be mine at $160... bust $200++ ON AN UNGRADED BOOK? That's insane.

Granted, Oaklands are sweet, but there are more than a few 9.0 Oaklands out there.

Anyone get any of them? I see that Stephen Ritter (I think it was him anyway) got quite a few of them.

Shep

Edited by bigfiver69

I passed on all of them, and I didn't watch them either, so I'm not sure who the lucky winners were.

Andy

BTW, did Oakland's have multiples of the same issues?

I passed on all of them, and I didn't watch them either, so I'm not sure who the lucky winners were.

Andy

BTW, did Oakland's have multiples of the same issues?

For some books, yes

Greg,

Was there ever a complete list of the Oakland books that was made public? I'm interested in the war books mainly.

By the way, I know you have some Oaklands in your DC bronze age war collection.... is your OAAW #245 the Oakland copy?

Shep

Greg,

Was there ever a complete list of the Oakland books that was made public? I'm interested in the war books mainly.

By the way, I know you have some Oaklands in your DC bronze age war collection.... is your OAAW #245 the Oakland copy?

Shep

I don't have a complete list but I have a list that was sent electronically by drbanner a few years back that has the majority of the collection. Pretty well all the war books were still listed. You may want to PM Mike to see if he still has the list, as I'll rather not scan it, as it's quite larger.

Vinny said that he lost the master list when one of his old computers crash.

No, my OAAW 245 is not the Oakland copy.