• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Did you have the early '70s reprint of that issue? I got one in in 1980, and it was my introduction to EC. It totally turned my world upside down. Jack Davis, Wally Wood, George Evans and amazing, amazing John Severin all in one issue!!!

Shep

I've never read any of the reprints. My first exposure to these books was seeing the covers here and there and my first experience reading them was when I actually bought them. I've always had a thing about reading the original article when I can.

As much as I love the Big 5 and Sgt Fury and the like, these EC books are just amazing from cover to cover. My only regret is that i didn't get into them sooner.

I've never read any of the reprints. My first exposure to these books was seeing the covers here and there and my first experience reading them was when I actually bought them. I've always had a thing about reading the original article when I can.

As much as I love the Big 5 and Sgt Fury and the like, these EC books are just amazing from cover to cover. My only regret is that i didn't get into them sooner.

Actually, now IS the time to be getting into them. I had a serious jag for the ECs in the mid to late 80s, when I was in my teens and able to spend a little more on comics. And they were a fortune!!

But between the Russ Cochrane B&W slipcased reprints, the colour reprints and the unearthing of the Gaines file copies, there was a perfect storm to drive the prices down. Now, solid mid-grades of most of those books run about 20 bucks or less.

Pretty sweet! I've been picking them up as they appear in decent shape.

Shep

Took a little closer look at my collection last night, and noticed an interesting cleavage between the cover themes of the different pre-hero DC war titles.

Lots of Frogmen on the AAMOW and SSWS titles... next to none on G.I. Combat and Our Army at War, which had more 'infantry-focused' covers.

It looks like Kanigher was definitely using the different titles to express different themes at the newsstand level. I think the general perception is that all the war books were essentially the same prior to 1960, but it does seem that as you look at the covers, there were some definite attempts at investing the different titles with some discreet themes.

Certainly not as ham-fisted as Charlton's 'Fightin' Army', 'Fightin' Marines', 'Fightin' Navy' and 'Fightin' Air Force'. But there's something there.

Other other thing I noticed? Grandenetti was ON FIRE between 1955 and 1960. Damn, that man drew some awesome covers.

Shep

Other other thing I noticed? Grandenetti was ON FIRE between 1955 and 1960. Damn, that man drew some awesome covers.

Indeed! His cover compositions were so different than Heath's and Kubert's. Kubert and Heath will (to me anyway) be superior drawers, but Grandenetti's cover comps were superb and (also to me anyway) better than Heath and Kubert.

Indeed! His cover compositions were so different than Heath's and Kubert's. Kubert and Heath will (to me anyway) be superior drawers, but Grandenetti's cover comps were superb and (also to me anyway) better than Heath and Kubert.

Grandenetti is different than most everyone else at that time. I "got" Kubert's and Heath's art from first glance but not so with Grandenetti. I had to look at a number of covers before I figured out really good he was.