• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

I found that I did very well in that auction for some books that flew under the radar.

And this one cost me $42.00

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17113&Lot_No=17014#Photo

That one is sweeeeettttt. You got a steal, you lucky dog.

Another Greytone that just blows me away is GIC #51..must find a HG copy of that issue.

I found that I did very well in that auction for some books that flew under the radar.

And this one cost me $42.00

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17113&Lot_No=17014#Photo

That one is sweeeeettttt. You got a steal, you lucky dog.

Another Greytone that just blows me away is GIC #51..must find a HG copy of that issue.

I got this off ebay about 4 years ago for $21. Those were the days for sure.... Back cover is as nice as the front (and the dust shadow is way darker on the scan than it is in real life.)

gic52.jpg

Andy G... as always, you have a nose for the deals. Nice gets.

I think the prices some of these books are going for are outrageous (except for the CGC 8.0 and up books). But when we see 6.0 copies getting 6x, 7x, 8x guide... that is pretty f*cked.

G.I. Combat in particular seems very hot right now, expecially issues between #50 and #90. They are all great books, with spectacular covers - so they're right to be generating interest. Most of these books, however, will show up on ebay over the next year in 5.0 - 7.0 shape, and most will sell for just a little over guide. That's been my experience anyway. There are still good raw deals out there is you dig real hard over an extended period.

Shep

I agree, but these Heritage slabbed 6.0s look pretty clean and tight, dont you think? Very attractive books and hard to pass up as we dont see them often above the usual raggedy VGs. I was tempted on that awesome fireworks sky cover... guess I forgot to bid on it.. Im sorry now!

I agree, but these Heritage slabbed 6.0s look pretty clean and tight, dont you think? Very attractive books and hard to pass up as we dont see them often above the usual raggedy VGs. I was tempted on that awesome fireworks sky cover... guess I forgot to bid on it.. Im sorry now!

No question they are nice looking books. And there is always a bit of a feeding frenzy when a bunch show up at once.

I only go for Heritage, though, when I see something that I know will probably never come up again for a long time... certainly, some of the Marlow books are the nicest copies that have appeared in quite some time.

That said, for the guys who can't afford to drop big $$$ on these kinds of books, patience and a good eye will reward the war comic fan who trolls ebay every day.

That said, for the guys who can't afford to drop big $$$ on these kinds of books, patience and a good eye will reward the war comic fan who trolls ebay every day.

I troll eBay a lot for war books, but the GIC pre-100 greytones don't show up very often in 6.0 or better. In fact, the only ones I have I got from a board member. :(

I love this one almost as much as my 78. Looks like I won't be adding any new ones to my collection anytime soon.

gic77-1.jpg

Andy,

That 77 and that 78 are both beauties... man I love these books.

For what it's worth here's a 'Got Them Off Ebay' G.I. Combat compendium of mine... these are all books I got off the 'bay. (I've forgotten how to make photoshop thumbnails... if someone can tell me, I'll thumbnail these so they don't take up so much space.)

gic85.jpg

gic84.jpg

gic101.jpg

gic97.jpg

gic102.jpg

All great books, guys! :applause:

Shep, on photobucket.com you click on the little box by your picture to select any photos that you want to change into thumbnails. After that, there's a button at the bottom of the page that says "Generate HTML and Image tags", click it. After that, the 3rd box down says "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended", copy and paste the info from there.

The G. I. Combat's from 70 to 90 are certainly smoking. It seems to make a HUGE difference that these are CGC graded though. I believe that true fine copies of these #'s are great books to own, but going for 6-8x guide? (tsk) That's just silliness.

This Keith Marlow collection coming on the market has pushed me into buying quite a lot his books. I'm not sure how often these collections come up in this kind of shape, but I'd rather pay lots now than paying more later. Oh, and I'm not a buyer for any of those GPA setting books.

Andy

Not sure who got the GI Combat lot.... #104 is a super tough book to find in grade, and it has such an awesome cover.

Nice ones, too, Jeffro. I've had a really hard time finding a nice GIC #100.

And Andy, thanks for the photobucket thumbnail info!

Shep

I just blew through photobucket and thumbnailed all my G.I. Comabts from the silver age (that I have scanned anyway.... looks like I have a lot of scanning left to do.)

Anyway, they look pretty cool all ganged up together.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2024890&page=1#Post2024890

It's funny... I came VERY close to putting all my Silver Age DC war on the market last summer. (My first love has always been bronze age war.) Mick Rabin talked me off the ceiling, though, and I'm glad he did... seeing all of these books together is a treat.

Thanks Mick...you're a king!

Shep

It's funny... I came VERY close to putting all my Silver Age DC war on the market last summer. (My first love has always been bronze age war.) Mick Rabin talked me off the ceiling, though, and I'm glad he did... seeing all of these books together is a treat.

Thanks Mick...you're a king!

Shep

Mick's been helpful to quite a few folks over the years, me included!

I'm shocked at the prices for those two Heritage GI Combats. They aren't that scarce in FN but there must have been two impatient bidders.