• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Too bad they don't have a salivating graemlin. I guess this one will have to do.

:cloud9:

Don't you have all of them? :baiting:

I still love seeing them, though, especially in that kind of shape. Yikes! :o

Andy

Another recruit

Comicscans002-1.jpg

This cover is the ultimate demonstration of the war comic book rule that the enemy's bullets never hit the hero, isn't it? In real life, Private Yay-hoo would be catching a volley of machine-gun fire right in the crotch. OW!

The wonderful late-50s DC cover inks make up for it.

Jack

Poochy goodness. So happy.

Comicscans003-1.jpg

SCORE!!!!!!

That is a hell of a tough book in nice shape. It took me a long time to get my own copy. Not sure it's as nice as yours, but I cherish it.

Would love to have a pretty copy of that AAMOW 64 someday.

Stunning books. All of what make DC war the best there is.

What's up with metropoliscomics. I've been going to their diligently site since they listed their high grade GI Combats with no prices which was over two weeks ago and even made calls there and now the nicest ones have disappeared. This is the third time this has happened on books I have been looking for. They also had a SSWS 85 in 8.0 with no picture that also disappeared. There does not seem to be much point on being on their wanted list as I have never gotten a single comic via that method. If they got priced today maybe they sold and they took them down subsequently but I have my doubts.Tirade complete.

It's hard.... when it comes to the REALLY sweet books, you just know there are a lot of big DC silver age guys who can crush the average (and hey, even the super-dedicated) collector like a gnat.

Sigh.

A 9.0 OAAW #83? I guarantee you that has been spoken for long ago... unless they're asking $7 or $8K for it.

Shep

It's hard.... when it comes to the REALLY sweet books, you just know there are a lot of big DC silver age guys who can crush the average (and hey, even the super-dedicated) collector like a gnat.

Sigh.

A 9.0 OAAW #83? I guarantee you that has been spoken for long ago... unless they're asking $7 or $8K for it.

Shep

I would've gone $800. :shy:

Too bad they don't have a salivating graemlin. I guess this one will have to do.

Andy

Yeah, they are nice in a jealous, depressing, I'll never own that many high grade DC war books EVER, kind of way. :(

Still, they are nice to look at. :banana:

Sigh.

Shep

No doubt chuck would ask about $16,000 for it. doh!

Andy

Yeah, they are nice in a jealous, depressing, I'll never own that many high grade DC war books EVER, kind of way. :(

Still, they are nice to look at. :banana:

You know, I'm coming to Jesus on the fact that there are lot of these books I will NEVER own in high grade. In truth, that will be the case for most of us I suspect.

So you put your runs together in the shape you can best afford, and sometimes the sun and the earth and the moon align and you're in the right place at the right time to score a really smokin' copy of something....

which ain't so bad.

For what it's worth, I am constantly in a state of jealousy over everyone else's war books. Which is totally irrational, because my collection is pretty okay.

Shep