• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Says There Is No Fraud In Original Art?

13 posts in this topic

Shuster's Superman looks almost like Liefeld's Cap! 27_laughing.gif

Other than that, confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd say that Joe Shuster knew very well that the depth of Superman's chest should never be 2 - 3 times the depth of his head.

Not only are the sketches horrible, the signatures are blatant forgeries.

There are a TON of sketch fakes on ebay. Just do a search for "Schulz" or "Watterson." Almost every example is a forgery.

I still have yet to see a fake published piece though.

There are a TON of sketch fakes on ebay. Just do a search for "Schulz" or "Watterson." Almost every example is a forgery.

I still have yet to see a fake published piece though.

The fever for Watterson ink sketeches astounds me. I have one of the very rare GENUINE Watterson pieces outside his own holdings, which I acquired with Watterson's consent from a personal contact (that I pledged never to disclose), but those tiny little lightbox sketches with his name on them go for hundreds. Some of the sellers have some pretty convincing listings, and their selling specialties are often autyographs or other memorabilia, which makes the "Watterson" knock-offs appear even more genuine.

I am no expert, but I am wondering how you can so easily identify that any of those quick sketches are fraudulent works?

I have attended conventions and watched highly skilled artists whip off 5 dollar quick sketches for fans. Many of those quick sketches look horrible.

Artboy99

I am no expert, but I am wondering how you can so easily identify that any of those quick sketches are fraudulent works?

I have attended conventions and watched highly skilled artists whip off 5 dollar quick sketches for fans. Many of those quick sketches look horrible.

Artboy99

I'm no expert, but those who are can generally pick out a fake based on known authentic examples - the same way autographs are authenticated.

Artboy99

I'm no expert, but those who are can generally pick out a fake based on known authentic examples - the same way autographs are authenticated.

Gotcha,

I just find it hard based on those small ebay pictures.

Thanks for the reply/ info.

Artboy99

Artboy99

Yep, the scans are fairly small, but the art and signatures are so far off, that it is apparent on even the small scans.

The Superman bust/profile looks NOTHING like Joe Shuster's art style or how he ever rendered Superman.