• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You ever have a little thing make you wanna flip out?

56 posts in this topic

Well I agree the guy is charging a bit more for shipping than he should, and it would upset me a little, but in the end I would recognize that I am still getting a good deal and pay the bill. Think about it: you are making a big deal over 5 dollars tops. Pay the bill, and then never buy from that seller again. Leave positive feedback to by the way, the seller did meet the terms stated in his auction.

Artboy99

see this is what I am talking about...

let me guess who is a seller that overcharges for shipping...

Still getting a good deal isnt the point..I want the deal that I agreed to.

I'm kind of scratching my head over all this.

Me too. At first I thought I must be missing a detail or something, so I went and looked at "completed" auctions for "fulci36":

"Shipping Cost: US $3.00. Services Available: US Postal Service First Class Mail® Service. Available to United States only."

That seems normal enough. confused-smiley-013.gif By placing a bid one is agreeing to pay that $3.00 for 1st class USPS shipping service. (potential bidders who consider that s&h fee unreasonable or profiteering see it up front.)

There wasn't anything about "combined" shipping costs being available if someone wins more than one of the seller's auctions. Offering "Combined shipping" is an option every seller chooses or rejects when creating a listing. Right? It's not a requirement. And he didn't offer it.

That's why I'm scratching my head. If $3 shipping per auction item is rediculous, wouldn't the person to be angry at be the one who agreed to pay it? The one clicking the mouse and accepting the auction terms?

I really don't see any difference with this type anger and the anger of a bidder who feels entitled to international shipping service when a listing states "United States only".

I think alot of "eBay rage" results from auction participants assuming they can successfully renegotiate the auction terms after they win. If that sense of entitlement is squashed, sadly, they go ballistic.

Well I agree the guy is charging a bit more for shipping than he should, and it would upset me a little, but in the end I would recognize that I am still getting a good deal and pay the bill. Think about it: you are making a big deal over 5 dollars tops. Pay the bill, and then never buy from that seller again. Leave positive feedback to by the way, the seller did meet the terms stated in his auction.

Artboy99

see this is what I am talking about...

let me guess who is a seller that overcharges for shipping...

Still getting a good deal isnt the point..I want the deal that I agreed to.

No i don't overcharge shipping. My buyers pay what it costs and any of my auctions clearly state that. That is what the problem is in this situation: The seller listed his shipping price! You don't want to pay it then don't buy it. And don't come on these boards whining about paying 5 bucks to much for shipping when you already agreed to.

Artboy99

About a week ago I used the Buy-It-Now function to purchase 7 separate books from a seller. The seller had stated that additional wins would have zero shipping charge. However, I had to pay $5 shipping for each book, because the Buy-It-Now function and Paypal wouldn't allow me to change the shipping fee to zero for the 6 additional books. Plus, I had to pay upon purchase since the system wouldn't allow the sale to go through otherwise.

Anyway, I sent the seller an e-mail asking if he could refund the additional shipping amount ($30). I even stated that he could deduct an extra $5 to $10 because of the multiple Paypal fees. The seller then refunded the entire $30 via Paypal, and sent the books via a priority mail. Since they had double and triple boarded each book, to my surprise, the total shipping cost was around $12.50. I left the seller very positive feedback for keeping their end of the bargain, even though they probably lost about $10 on Paypal and shipping fees.

I'm kind of scratching my head over all this.

Me too. At first I thought I must be missing a detail or something, so I went and looked at "completed" auctions for "fulci36":

"Shipping Cost: US $3.00. Services Available: US Postal Service First Class Mail® Service. Available to United States only."

That seems normal enough. confused-smiley-013.gif By placing a bid one is agreeing to pay that $3.00 for 1st class USPS shipping service. (potential bidders who consider that s&h fee unreasonable or profiteering see it up front.)

There wasn't anything about "combined" shipping costs being available if someone wins more than one of the seller's auctions. Offering "Combined shipping" is an option every seller chooses or rejects when creating a listing. Right? It's not a requirement. And he didn't offer it.

That's why I'm scratching my head. If $3 shipping per auction item is rediculous, wouldn't the person to be angry at be the one who agreed to pay it? The one clicking the mouse and accepting the auction terms?

I really don't see any difference with this type anger and the anger of a bidder who feels entitled to international shipping service when a listing states "United States only".

I think alot of "eBay rage" results from auction participants assuming they can successfully renegotiate the auction terms after they win. If that sense of entitlement is squashed, sadly, they go ballistic.

The seller IS offering to combine shipping. The buyer won 7 auctions and the seller is not charging him $21 for the auctions, but "only" charged him $9.

$9.00 for 7 different auctions doesn't sound so bad to me. I regularly pay that much for 3-4 auctions. You should have contacted the seller beforehand to verify how much you would have to spend.

$9.00 for 7 different auctions doesn't sound so bad to me. I regularly pay that much for 3-4 auctions. You should have contacted the seller beforehand to verify how much you would have to spend.

If he ships it Priority Mail Flat Rate Box, that's $8.10. He won't of course, but if he does, the $9 is reasonable.

If he ships it Priority Mail Flat Rate Box, that's $8.10. He won't of course, but if he does, the $9 is reasonable.

I know the shipping won't cost that much, but I assume that I am not going to get a big discount on shipping (and if I do, then I am happier). I guess this is just based on expectations, and I am a pessimist when it comes to eBay.

I think i pointed out in the thread title that this is a little thing I'm getting bent about. And its not only the overcharge, its the reasoning he uses for charging more than he knows its going to cost.

I reply to his invoice as such:

Considering the comics have a very short distance to travel,

can I ask how you intend to ship with a cost of $9?

He responds :

1$ each additional comic is my standard cost. I start them out at a low price, .99, wich is the price you won all of them at, pretty good deal if you ask me. 16.19 divided by 7 comics comes out to roughly 2.31 a comic. The price on the cover is more than that so I don't see how you can hardly complain. If your not happy you should ask about combined shipping before bidding on multiple items next time.

So I shouldn't complain about the large shipping charge because I paid well less than cover for the books.

He says later:

I am not ripping you off, nor did I ever intent on ripping anyone off. $1 each additional dvd or comic is my policy, has allways been and will allways be, I make no exception for anyone, especially people like you who think they should get something for nothing and that the world owes them something.

Yeah, that's right, I'm trying to get something for nothing. Me.

He later says that charging me $21 would also not be ripping me off. That he's doing me a favor by only overcharging by $3 or $4. I pointed out that Flat Rate Priority mailers are $4.05. I offered to pay $7, a pretty decent compromise if you ask me. He had none of it, because, after all, he makes exceptions for no one, especially folks who want something for nothing.

Here you go. Ebay policy for everyone: Excessive Shipping & Handling

"eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion."

(Was it listed clearly, or did he violate the policy?)

"A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price."

(translation: shipping = postage fee, handling = seller's fee. Comibined doesn't = "exact postage".)

"When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring reasonable shipping charges that may also include handling fees."

(Is reducing the posted $3 s&h fee to $1 for your multiple wins excessive s&h profiteering? If so report it to eBay.)

Here you go. Ebay policy for everyone: Excessive Shipping & Handling

"eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion."

(Was it listed clearly, or did he violate the policy?)

"A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price."

(translation: shipping = postage fee, handling = seller's fee. Comibined doesn't = "exact postage".)

"When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring reasonable shipping charges that may also include handling fees."

(Is reducing the posted $3 s&h fee to $1 for your multiple wins excessive s&h profiteering? If so report it to eBay.)

Did you start every paper you have ever written with "Webster's defines *blah-blah* as the *blah blah blah*"?

One of the first thing that anyone should do on ebay is check out the shipping fees. If they do not list that they will combine shipping then I send an email to the seller. If the buyer fails to do all of this then they should have to pay whatever the seller charges them. This seller is offering a discount and from the sounds of it, the buyer wants a bigger one.

READ ALL OF THE ITEM DESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU BID

I don't see the problem here. When the bidder won all 7 auctions, he essentially agreed to pay $21 shipping ($3 x 7). He should be happy it was reduced to $3 for the first one, and $1 for each additional. When you're selling 99¢ items, it's not uncommon to make additional money on shipping. As long as the shipping costs were called out in the auction, the bidder shouldn't bid if they don't agree with the terms. In this instance, the bidder agreed to $3 shipping on each comic. Anything less than that is a bonus. If they weren't worth $4 each, then why bid?

I don't see the problem here. When the bidder won all 7 auctions, he essentially agreed to pay $21 shipping ($3 x 7). He should be happy it was reduced to $3 for the first one, and $1 for each additional. When you're selling 99¢ items, it's not uncommon to make additional money on shipping. As long as the shipping costs were called out in the auction, the bidder shouldn't bid if they don't agree with the terms. In this instance, the bidder agreed to $3 shipping on each comic. Anything less than that is a bonus. If they weren't worth $4 each, then why bid?

If that's the case, then each comic better be shipped in its own separate package for $3.00 per auction. Fair is fair.

If there's anything worst than a shipping profiteer, it's a S/H renegotiator! insane.gif

If the seller files a NPB against the buyer for the seven auctions, that would constitute seven seperate strikes, right?

Whelp..I hope getting kicked off Ebay was worth the $2. 27_laughing.gif

If that's the case, then each comic better be shipped in its own separate package for $3.00 per auction. Fair is fair.

He is not being charged $3 for each auction. He is only paying $3 for the first one and $1 for each of the others.

He is not being charged $3 for each auction. He is only paying $3 for the first one and $1 for each of the others.

Then he should just pay for the comics and just never buy from this seller again if he is unhappy with his selling practices. He should still report him to ebay for excessive postage costs. The seller needs to clarify the exact cost of shipping or simply state that postage costs will be determined after auction ends and that he either combines or does NOT combine shipping costs.

Buying 7 comics for $28.19, but the seller only charging $16.19... WoW!!!, $12 dollars to spend somewhere else!!!

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Or not.

893censored-thumb.gif $2 overcharge! frustrated.gif

insane.gif