• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filing a PayPal complaint

11 posts in this topic

Hey people. Had a transaction go bad & it does not look like the seller is going to give me a refund. I paid through PayPal& am thinking of filing a complaint to get my cash back. I paid directly from my back account (as opposed to a credit card) & was wondering if that makes a difference as far as paypal being able to retrieve your money?

Is there any key wording that will make paypal take action, as opposed to saying "sorry, looks like you & the seller just have a difference of opinion?"

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Mark

$400+, I received the package, but books were extremely overgraded. Asked for refund, with me paying all shipping/insurance fees but seller says it is just a difference of opinion & a refund is not appropriate. I was under the belief that unless the seller states no refunds, that items were returnable. Maybe I was wrong??

Actually, I think it is up to the seller. That is a crappy situation because obviously the seller does not care about his reputation or about honesty or integrity.

Can you leave negative feedback? That might nudge your seller in the direction of at least mediation.

$400+, I received the package, but books were extremely overgraded. Asked for refund, with me paying all shipping/insurance fees but seller says it is just a difference of opinion & a refund is not appropriate. I was under the belief that unless the seller states no refunds, that items were returnable. Maybe I was wrong??

I believe you can send the books back (insured and tracked) and then file a refund (less S&H) for the EBay auction amount.

I think you're wrong about compulsory returns, but I'm not sure. I've never heard of such an E-Bay policy, and I'm pretty sure that federal business transaction laws don't apply to individuals. You could be lucky and there's a local law in the guy's state that compels him to accept returns, but you'd need a lawyer to figure that out which would cost more than what you paid on the auction.

I just hunted around PayPal's site and all I saw on non-credit card transations was a mention of E-Bay's refund guarantee of $200 and a promise from PayPal that they'd give you $200 above that amount. However, since you received your item but it just wasn't as described, it's hard to say how they'll proceed.

" I was under the belief that unless the seller states no refunds, that items were returnable. Maybe I was wrong??

You were wrong. Ebay is an auction format and all sales are final unless you have an honest and fair seller who cares about their reputation and states otherwise. You have to bid with the idea that if things go wrong, you are potentially screwed.

With that said, ebay DOES have an insurance program for up to $200 (I believe) as someone else stated. Look into it. Hopefully PayPal can assist you but I know it's a lot easier to get reimbursed when you pay using a credit card. Good luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sorry to hear about your problem,

Ebay's buyer protection claims are not very valuable in my opinion, there are so many conditions that it's often not worth it. There's a $200 or maybe it's $250 ceiling to start with. I'm trying to get partial reimbursement for a seller who took my money and ran (and other people's as well). On a $40 item (a Cisco cable modem) plus $10 I paid for non existent shipping, after their $25 deductible I may someday get a $15 credit from Ebay after waiting a mandatory 30 day period. The seller was kicked off Ebay within a week of my bad auction due to complaints, and I still had to wait a month to file a complaint

Please do post the auction info, be careful not to say anything slanderous or inaccurate

thanks,

dave h

How about a partial refund ?

Maybe he does not want these books back , but is willing to offer some finanical compensation.

What is his history ? If he has been selling on E-bay for a while , chances are that this person is willing to make amends.

I would hope that the majority of people would come thru with some sort of agreement to please both parties .