• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Word of the Day

6 posts in this topic

Because my geekiness knows no boundaries, I am on the Miriam-Webster Word of the Day mailing list. I thought some of you might enjoy today's word:

The Word of the Day for Jun 01 is:

brainiac \BRAY-nee-ack\ noun

: a person characterized by unusual brainpower

Example sentence:

Dr. Cope was a brainiac who graduated from Harvard with honors at age 15 and who was performing surgery by age 18.

Did you know?

Happy Birthday to the Man of Steel! The Superman Action Comics series was launched on June 1, 1938. In honor of the anniversary, we've chosen to feature "brainiac." Why? Because — as Superman fans know — "Brainiac" was the superintelligent villain in the comic-book series and its spin-offs. You don't need x-ray vision to see the connection here. Etymologists are pretty sure Superman's brainy adversary was the inspiration for our modern term "brainiac."

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

Ironically, Ogre become initiated as a Tri-Lambda in RTN 3: Nerds in Paradise. Did that even make it into theatres or was it a TNT "Original"...

I had a good friend in high school whose nickname was "Ogre". It was so appropriate & it stuck with him although he hated it. We even got his girlfriend to start calling him "Ogre"! His sister was a smoking hot blonde, but we started calling her the "Ogress" just for kicks. insane.gif

Ironically, Ogre become initiated as a Tri-Lambda in RTN 3: Nerds in Paradise. Did that even make it into theatres or was it a TNT "Original"...

Oh, it was in the theater all right...

The cinematography was breath-taking... Do not buy the fullscreen DVD... Hold out for the widescreen... You'll be glad you did...

That may be the fastest hijacking of a thread in the history of this board...

Joanna, if it's any consolation, I receive the "word of the day" from www.dictionary.com - and always read that email. Along with doing the Jumble each morning (average time: 12 seconds), it helps jump-start my brain along with the coffee...!

Now when can we expect the Word of the Day to be "bizarro" ? smile.gif