• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R. Crumb Zap #1 Cover on eBay ?!?

16 posts in this topic

Is this legit or not? The auction has a terrible description and it seems odd that they would attempt to sell without a scan, but he has great feedback and provides a store name, a phone number and offers to do the transaction in person.

If it's real, WTF is this worth? I know a 7 page Crumb story sold for $40Kish on Heritage and this is an ICONIC cover.

Link...

From the Q/A at the bottom:

Hello Burt, I regret my description was not clear. What is being offered here is both: 1) the original, 8 1/2 inch X 11 inch black and white / pen and ink drawing that was used for the cover of Zap #1 AND, 2) the signed and numbered limited edition serigraph print, colorized, as shown in the photo below.

I'm obvously not in the market at that price (or I wouldnt be posting - I'd already be on the phone) but he's pretty clear that he's selling the pencils.

Hello Burt, I regret my description was not clear. What is being offered here is both: 1) the original, 8 1/2 inch X 11 inch black and white / pen and ink drawing that was used for the cover of Zap #1 AND, 2) the signed and numbered limited edition serigraph print, colorized, as shown in the photo below.

I'm obvously not in the market at that price (or I wouldnt be posting - I'd already be on the phone) but he's pretty clear that he's selling the pencils.

Five minutes on google and to me it looks like it's quite possibly real. There's a person named Barry Silbergeld and he's involved with Crumb, etc. art.

If it is real- what a terrible listing for such a significant piece.

Five minutes on google and to me it looks like it's quite possibly real. There's a person named Barry Silbergeld and he's involved with Crumb, etc. art.

This is the same conclusion I reached. I think it's real. I wish it was a straight auction - as bad as this listing is, I might have ended up with the cover of Zap #1 for $20k.

If I was in the market for such a piece, i would probably just fly out to SF and get the piece. For the money involved, it would be worth it for a collector to do so....what's a little airfare if you're spending 170 K ?!

If I was in the market for such a piece, i would probably just fly out to SF and get the piece. For the money involved, it would be worth it for a collector to do so....what's a little airfare if you're spending 170 K ?!

Is this piece even remotely worth 170k? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Its not particularly pretty to look at. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is the same conclusion I reached. I think it's real. I wish it was a straight auction - as bad as this listing is, I might have ended up with the cover of Zap #1 for $20k.

Another 20 cent listing day opening bid . . . insane.gif