• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much discount are you getting?

40 posts in this topic

How is there a big difference between spending $80 a month or over $100? confused-smiley-013.gif I do probably spend more around $120/mo. However, I do get my shipments weekly, rather than just once a month, which is enjoyable. I can expect a package every Monday.

Using DCBS as an example:

If you spend $80/mo. and then get 40% off, you save $32, then subtract monthly shipping at $7.95 and bags/boards for 25 books is $7.50 (price varies depending on what bags/boards you want) = $18.05 total savings.

Not bad, but I want my books twice per month, let say. Now I have to add $4. If I want weekly shipping, I add $8. Now you still save, but not much more than a LCS.

At $100/mo, at least you begin to see some decent savings.

Myself, I order closer to $200/mo, save $80, ship 2 times a month at $12.95 and bags and boards are around $12. So I save $55.05 on average each month, or over $600/yr. grin.gif

I do find myself occasionally buying titles I wouldn't normally buy but are offered at 75% off, which makes it very reasonable to give them a try. Most #1s are offered this way. And for variant nuts, they are now offering variants at a smaller mark-up than most LCSs.

thumbsup2.gif

See, I don't think you guys realize my situation though. I get free shipping every week. So I can get my books weekly, with a discount, without paying for shipping or gas to drive to a store.

I probably buy about 40 comics per month. So at $3 a piece, that would be $120. With a 20 % discount, means that I am paying about $96 for 40 books, bagged, boarded, and shipped. I think thats a pretty good deal. Especially if I get books every week, and don't have to wait two weeks to a month.

That's just me though. I did look at DCBS yesterday to see what kind of discounts you can get, and was impressed; but I couldn't handle getting books only once a month.

How is there a big difference between spending $80 a month or over $100? confused-smiley-013.gif I do probably spend more around $120/mo. However, I do get my shipments weekly, rather than just once a month, which is enjoyable. I can expect a package every Monday.

If you spend $80/mo. and then get 40% off, you save $32, then subtract monthly shipping at $7.95 and bags/boards for 25 books is $7.50 (price varies depending on what bags/boards you want) = $18.05 total savings.

Not bad, but I want my books twice per month, let say. Now I have to add $4. If I want weekly shipping, I add $8. Now you still save, but not much more than a LCS.

Myself, I order closer to $200/mo, save $80, ship 2 times a month at $12.95 and bags and boards are around $12. So I save $55.05 on average each month, or over $600/yr. grin.gif

I do find myself occasionally buying titles I wouldn't normally buy but are offered at 75% off, which makes it very reasonable to give them a try. Most #1s are offered this way. And for variant nuts, they are now offering variants at a smaller mark-up than most LCSs.

thumbsup2.gif

See, I don't think you guys realize my situation though. I get free shipping every week. So I can get my books weekly, with a discount, without paying for shipping or gas to drive to a store.

I probably buy about 40 comics per month. So at $3 a piece, that would be $120. With a 20 % discount, means that I am paying about $96 for 40 books, bagged, boarded, and shipped. I think thats a pretty good deal. Especially if I get books every week, and don't have to wait two weeks to a month.

That's just me though. I did look at DCBS yesterday to see what kind of discounts you can get, and was impressed; but I couldn't handle getting books only once a month.

Oh I get your situation, you are not doing as well with your LCS as with an on-line service. And you keep saying you can't handle comics once a month, but I clearly stated above that comics can be ordered on a bi-weekly or weekly basis for an additional cost that still keeps the total savings under what you pay each month. Using your own numbers for DCBS:

40 books at $3 each = $120

40% discount = $72

Bags/Boards (Pro) + $4.00 = $76

Weekly shipping + $16 = $92

And no driving to a store. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But hey, we all have our comfort zones. If you are good with where you are at and what you pay, more power to you.

thumbsup2.gif

Oh I get your situation, you are not doing as well with your LCS as with an on-line service. And you keep saying you can't handle comics once a month, but I clearly stated above that comics can be ordered on a bi-weekly or weekly basis for an additional cost that still keeps the total savings under what you pay each month. Using your own numbers for DCBS:

40% discount = $72

Bags/Boards (Pro) + $4.00 = $76

Weekly shipping + $16 = $92

And no driving to a store. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But hey, we all have our comfort zones. If you are good with where you are at and what you pay, more power to you.

Wow, I'd save a whole $4 per month! 893whatthe.gifyeahok.gif

Not too concerned with that.

Minus 20% discount = $96

Bags/Boards + $0 = $96

Weekly shipping + $0 = $96

And still no driving to a store. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gif

Well, the way I see it, your bags and boards are not free. You actually pay for them by getting a smaller discount wink.gifyay.gifacclaim.gif

screwy.gif You're just trying to get your way and have the last word. poke2.gifwink.gif

No, I'm just trying to point out that the "deal" with your LCS that you seem to like to brag about is not really much of a deal at all.

Now if you excuse me, I have to break the tractor out and mow the lawn headbang.gif

15% from my store. I get my singles there. I don't like to wait, even though I typically queue the books up and read them in a sensible order (sometimes months/years later).

I've taken my TPB/OGN business online and get 35% off and free shipping. I've already waited for the trade, I can wait that much longer that not getting at the store means.

I get 10% with no bag or board but am treated as a valued customer and not some afterthought like I was at my other shop.

That's another reason I've stuck with my current comic provider. It's not only about a discount, but about the respect you have for your comic dealer and vice versa.

Why is everyone listing the amount they pay in taxes? If we want to do it that way then

0% with 7% tax

because a discount ain't [embarrassing lack of self control] if you're paying the tax right back when comparing to dcbs and comicsuppy guys.

Why is everyone listing the amount they pay in taxes? If we want to do it that way then

0% with 7% tax

because a discount ain't [embarrassing lack of self control] if you're paying the tax right back when comparing to dcbs and comicsuppy guys.

893applaud-thumb.gif