• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Common bronze 9.8's... not so common after all?

79 posts in this topic

However, you're saying 9.4 or better. 9.8 or better is a totally different ball park which is where the difficulty in finding them comes in..b/c most books that look ridiculously nice will fall into 9.6 almost by default especially during that late Bronze age era.

Brian

Sure, I don't want to make any ludicrous claims, so I'm being conservative. And because I agree that 9.8s obviously aren't too easy to come by.

For fun I snapped a couple high res pics of a few issues out of the front of one box. (big files... don't try it if you're on dial-up unless u have time to waif for 1M pics to load). Even included the lower grade ones (hey, even I don't think they're all NM) for perspective.

ASM 160, 161, 162

Four ASM 162s

The top and bottom #162 have obvious flaws. The two in the middle look pretty sharp.

And in some other box I have two more issues of ASM 162. Like I said, ASM is and always has been my favorite!

If you really want to see if you have any 9.8's, go to Heritage. Go to there ended auctions stuff, and search late Bronze books (post 1975), and look for the nicest 9.8 you can find. Then compare. That's what I do when I'm contemplating whether or not buying a 9.8 (I don't send any of my bronze books in b/c I'm way too skeptical of having one of them be a 9.8)

Brian

Well, maybe I'll find out yet this summer how my grading compares to CGC. I'm trying to raise funds for my comics hobby (go check out and buy the Valiants I listed in the Marketplace smile.gif ) and if I'm successful at that I'll splurge and pick out a few high-grade contenders to get graded that I might be willing to sell for huge bucks. Well, actually I'd find out in the Fall if I submit in late Summer with the turn-around time lag involved!

Probably in early July I'll have lots of low value raw stuff on eBay, here, and on a website to try to raise some cash that I can put to work elsewhere for other comics and maybe some slabbing.

You know, most of the bronze age collectors on here (which is 90%) is gonna hate me for saying this but..well...BRONZE AGE SUCKS! The only thing that came out of the 70's that was any good was Wolverine,X-men 9.4 is a cool book but come on! Iron Fist 14? Iron Man 55? Spotlight 5?? and all the hard to find oddball books that you people are looking for...bronze age books are not that rare,and don't have much of a future,I know,I know, collect what you like and 893blahblah.gif There are no 5-6K+ bronze age books (besides Hulk 181 9.6/9.8) Unless the book is a 9.8,I don't see the point in buying a Iron Fist 14 in 9.9.Or even a 9.6 spotlight 5..Ghost rider sucks and so does Sabertooth,2nd rate heroes and villains.I think most of you guys should concetrate on some other books,a early FF or some early X-men perhaps? I NOT saying what i collect is for everyone or that what you collect is for everyone either,I just think money could be spend elsewhere than a Spidey 129 which is nothing but a flash in the pan type of book.Who cares about a Spidey 157 in 9.6? just a bunch of filler books in high grade,but f that's what makes you happy then,feel free to watch the bronze age market burn.

BURN BABY BURN, OUCH THAT HURTS ME,I LOVE THE BRONZE AGE !!!!

THEY ARE THE COOLEST OPINIONS ARE LIKE HOLES EVERYONES GOT ONE.

YOUR STILL COOL WITH ME THOUGH MIKE. rantpost.gif

DAVIDKING623

191918-SPIDERMAN1579.40001.jpg.fa98bcbd46d1273881696bf28a1c4463.jpg

YOUR STILL COOL WITH ME THOUGH MIKE

well that's good,It is an opinion and he knows i can't stand 99% of the bonze age books out there,He thinks it's funny when i tell him his collection sucks,his response is "what the hell do you want me to collect"?? I just don't think a Luke Cage 1 in 9.6 is worth the $500 or even a Iron Fist 14 9.8..ok here it goes Would you rather have an Amzing Spider-man # 7 CGC 9.4 White or a Marvel Spotlight #5 9.8? goodevil.gif

Sure, I don't want to make any ludicrous claims, so I'm being conservative. And because I agree that 9.8s obviously aren't too easy to come by.

For fun I snapped a couple high res pics of a few issues out of the front of one box. (big files... don't try it if you're on dial-up unless u have time to waif for 1M pics to load). Even included the lower grade ones (hey, even I don't think they're all NM) for perspective.

ASM 160, 161, 162

Four ASM 162s

The top and bottom #162 have obvious flaws. The two in the middle look pretty sharp.

And in some other box I have two more issues of ASM 162. Like I said, ASM is and always has been my favorite!

Bad news, wayne....

Most of the ASMs 160 to 162 you scanned don't look like they'd have a chance at 9.8.

The left 160 appears to have 2 stress marks above Tink's head.... they probably limit that book to a 9.4. The scuff at the ULC of the right 160 probably does the same.

The left 161 has what looks like a small tear at the lower staple, and a few tiny stresses. The right 161 looks good (spine graded only) - probably the best candidate.

The left 162 has LLC scuff and a few stresses - maybe enough to grind it down to 9.2. The right 162 might be pretty good.... if the LRC isn't rounded as it appears in the scan.

Not trying to be an 893censored-thumb.gif; rather, just illustrating the actual difficulty in getting bronze 9.8s.... even with books held for 25+ years by original owners. frown.gif

Shuley, you're comparing to different things. And really kinda going against your own point, if you're trying to say that a MS 5 9.8 would be on par value-wise with ASM 7 9.4

Brian

murph0 a 9.8 spotlight 5 most likey would go for as much as ASM 7 9.4,I was trying state that a spotlight 5 9.8 doesn't have the staying power of a 9.4 spidey 7,most people on these boards most likey would take the spotlight 5 9.8 over the spidey 7,but the spidey 7 is the better book.

Well it's a bad move if they're the same price, I'd say. If the MS 5 was cheap, then it might be a good idea. However, ASM 7 is the better book and if both were priced the same..I think most would probably buy the ASM...? maybe.

Brian

most people on these boards most likey would take the spotlight 5 9.8 over the spidey 7,but the spidey 7 is the better book.

I think you might be surprised, I would certainly take the ASM #7 in a heartbeat.

Those are pics, not scans, and they're in the bags, so there might be flaws that aren't even visible.

Anyway none of those were meant to be offered up as 9.8 candidates, but were meant just for fun to illustrate the point I was making. I didn't try to pick out the best copies of any of my old Spidey's, just grabbed the first dozen issues out of the box. The point being that if I've got a whole box (well, boxes) like that... there have got to be other collectors that have that same sorta stuff that is ungraded. (And I will bet that I could pull some 9.8s from my ASM collection. smile.gif )

CGC has only been around for 3 years. There are going to be collectors who are away from the hobby and haven't even heard of CGC who have that kind of stuff. And others who do know about CGC but have little reason to get their comics graded.

You know, most of the bronze age collectors on here (which is 90%) is gonna hate me for saying this but..well...BRONZE AGE SUCKS! The only thing that came out of the 70's that was any good was Wolverine,X-men 9.4 is a cool book but come on! Iron Fist 14? Iron Man 55? Spotlight 5?? and all the hard to find oddball books that you people are looking for...bronze age books are not that rare,and don't have much of a future,I know,I know, collect what you like and 893blahblah.gif There are no 5-6K+ bronze age books (besides Hulk 181 9.6/9.8) Unless the book is a 9.8,I don't see the point in buying a Iron Fist 14 in 9.9.Or even a 9.6 spotlight 5..Ghost rider sucks and so does Sabertooth,2nd rate heroes and villains.I think most of you guys should concetrate on some other books,a early FF or some early X-men perhaps? I NOT saying what i collect is for everyone or that what you collect is for everyone either,I just think money could be spend elsewhere than a Spidey 129 which is nothing but a flash in the pan type of book.Who cares about a Spidey 157 in 9.6? just a bunch of filler books in high grade,but f that's what makes you happy then,feel free to watch the bronze age market burn.

you're a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

GMAN-

First of all....he's not a insufficiently_thoughtful_person because he has an opinion on the Bronze Age stuff.....he's a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for other reasons...

Second, ---that's the best response you can come up with ?? 893blahblah.gif

Third, - don't send me an offer for a book, low balling me and act like your doing me a favor....that's insulting....your NOT doing anyone a favor by making one of your infamous "offers" of -- "I can do xyz dollars on that book" - You sound like a dealer wannabe.....

GMAN-

First of all....he's not a insufficiently_thoughtful_person because he has an opinion on the Bronze Age stuff.....he's a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for other reasons...

Third, - don't send me an offer for a book, low balling me and act like your doing me a favor....that's insulting....your NOT doing anyone a favor by making one of your infamous "offers" of -- "I can do xyz dollars on that book" - You sound like a dealer wannabe.....

hey all i did was make an offer...all u said was no thanks. no counter offer, not budging on your price? sounds like u are being what i am perceived to be....what favor was i doing? why is that a bad thing to make an offer? toss it out on ebay if the offers u are getting are not that good. let's see how it does. 893frustrated.gif u would fall over if u saw the "low ball" offers i get but i never say anything, u never know when u might be able to work out a bigger deal with that person and they get the book for the price they want.

GMAN-

hey all i did was make an offer...all u said was no thanks. no counter offer, not budging on your price? sounds like u are being what i am perceived to be....what favor was i doing? why is that a bad thing to make an offer? toss it out on ebay if the offers u are getting are not that good. let's see how it does. 893frustrated.gif u would fall over if u saw the "low ball" offers i get but i never say anything, u never know when u might be able to work out a bigger deal with that person and they get the book for the price they want.

27_laughing.gif george you really need to take a good look at your business practices,You do lowball people hoping to "get lucky" so you can flip it.If your flipping books to get books to build up your own collection,that's fine.But you have turned into a "wannabe dealer" There's plenty at shows,you just don't wanna pay the price cause you can't make anything on it,God forbid you spend some real cash on yourself,I don't even know why I am even typing this to you,It'll never sink in through your plastic hair.When are you going to spend a say $2000 on a comic for yourself? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Plenty of books out there,so you can't use the line "when the right one comes along" There must be a book your dyin for that a few K at least,what is it? you can tell me,don't be shy.gif

The point being that if I've got a whole box (well, boxes) like that... there have got to be other collectors that have that same sorta stuff that is ungraded

Wayne, I gotta agree with you. I think all high grade collectors SERIOUSLY underestimate the amount of HG bronze books out there, especially post -'74 or '75. There are probably 10's if not 100's of 1000's of collections out there with more than one 9.8 BA book in them. Hard to find, sure, but they are out there in collections that won't see the light of day until owners are forced to sell. To take your lead, I'll use myself as an example. I'm 38 years old, have been collecting since 1976. I've always been VERY careful with my books, but especially so after 1978. And I always tried to pick out perfect copies when I bought back issues. So say 1 out of every 100 NM books I have is a 9.8--that means I probably have 25 9.8's. Now figure there are 10,000 other collectors out there that fit my demographic profile-even if they have 1/2 the rate of 9.8's, that's a lot of 9.8's that will never be slabbed until the owner sells his collection. And that will probably not occur until they are forced to by old age, bankruptcy, retirement, or death.

On top of that, add the stockpiles of dealers, etc. For example, 4 years ago, a "collectibles" store opened up near me in DC. They had bought the old stock of a local comic dealer. The books hadn't been repriced since the early 90's, when many people couldn't have given a rat's as* about BA books unless they were a key. The new owners couldn't make the effort to reprice, and they were more interested in selling Beanie Babies, so they began to have a fire sale. Over the course of a year, I picked up over 4-500 9.6 and 9.8 BA books, including 20 cent issues, for $1-$4 a piece. Sure, I had to fish through probably 100,000 books in lesser grade, but they were there. And this was just a two-bit outfit. How many similar, but bigger, examples must be out there.

I wouldn't, solely b/c I doubt they'd get the same price. I couldn't see an MS 5 9.8 getting over 3k, and I'd bet an ASM 7 9.4 would go for over 4k.

Brian

I like both books to be honost with you and If I was rich and won like the big lottery they would both be in my collection.I however am not, so they would not be in my collection as I cant see keeping them over the money Cash that I would have instead.My love of comics is great just not quite rich enough to consider keeping them. rantpost.gif

Davidking623

george you really need to take a good look at your business practices,You do lowball people hoping to "get lucky" so you can flip it.If your flipping books to get books to build up your own collection,that's fine.But you have turned into a "wannabe dealer" There's plenty at shows,you just don't wanna pay the price cause you can't make anything on it,God forbid you spend some real cash on yourself,I don't even know why I am even typing this to you,It'll never sink in through your plastic hair.When are you going to spend a say $2000 on a comic for yourself? Plenty of books out there,so you can't use the line "when the right one comes along" There must be a book your dyin for that a few K at least,what is it? you can tell me,don't be 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

why spend $2K on books at shows when i can pay 1/2 that by doing a little research and working to get a better deal...? I'll let u over pay for 9.2s i.e. Hulk #4 at $4500 (dealer price) that sold a few months prior for $2800. I am not in the business to make dealers $...I will leave that to u.