• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Common bronze 9.8's... not so common after all?

79 posts in this topic

heres a different angle on the future value of 9.8s.

Most posters here have pointed out that the differences between 9.6s and 9.8s are so slim to non-existent so as to amount to an extra cup of coffee or a good (or bad) nights sleep by the graders! So in the future how will this affect prices for these super high-end BA books?

There's a good chance that the common collector opinion will result in a blurring of CGC's precious numerical grades. And this will affect pricing, the spreads in $$s between the grades. The arrival of this viewpoint will be accelerated also by the arrival of more grading services, as we all try to make sense of which company's 9.6s equal which other company's 9.4s or 9.8s etc. like they have to do now in baseball cards.

Even if CGC can somehow keep their ship in order and their grading totally consistent (which is necessary for them to maintain the influence on prices they have now...) these other grading services will muddy the waters sufficiently to bring so much buyer confusion as to a level such that we may have to move onto a post-CGC environment....

Those are pics, not scans,

Begging your pardon... grin.gif

I didn't try to pick out the best copies of any of my old Spidey's, just grabbed the first dozen issues out of the box. The point being that if I've got a whole box (well, boxes) like that... there have got to be other collectors that have that same sorta stuff that is ungraded. (And I will bet that I could pull some 9.8s from my ASM collection. )

I can't argue with that, and I wasn't trying to be nasty, just pointing out that the prevalence of 9.8s, even in collections like yours, is slim.

I'm sure you'd have some 9.8s, wayne. If you do have that many ASMs of that vintage, and finances permit, maybe a pre-screen lot would be a good idea. Several of us on this board would be interested.

I think all high grade collectors SERIOUSLY underestimate the amount of HG bronze books out there, especially post -'74 or '75. There are probably 10's if not 100's of 1000's of collections out there with more than one 9.8 BA book in them. Hard to find, sure, but they are out there in collections that won't see the light of day until owners are forced to sell.

silver, I think the members of this board all share your opinion on the prevalence of HG bronze. I certainly do. I just think that HG represents 9.2 to 9.6 books in the vast majority of cases.

As for the collections that won't see the light of day, I tend to think of these as irrelevant to the hobby. If these collections never come for sale, they'll never be part of the circulating HG bronze population.

why spend $2K on books at shows when i can pay 1/2 that by doing a little research and working to get a better deal...? I'll let u over pay for 9.2s i.e. Hulk #4 at $4500 (dealer price) that sold a few months prior for $2800. I am not in the business to make dealers $...I will leave that to u.

Gman, The Hulk is not the same one that was sold on Heritage,but i guess since heritage sold one for 2800,anything more than that is overpaying? Well if i just bought one for 4500,doesn't that count as "another one being sold for 4500"? Didn't the bar just raise? Ok Since your a dealer and i'm not out to make you money,I'll give you $50 for the Detective 400 9.4,that's all it's worth anyway,book sucks wind.If not then, I'm just trying to get the best deal I can,what's wrong with that?

Doc,

I definitely mispoke there--by HG, I meant that category fo near perfection-9.6-9.8. And I do think they are out there in very large numbers. And the kicker is, those collections will start coming up for sale in the next decade. Those same demographic factors I mentioned will start to occur to my generation of collectors--financial hardship, death, illness and, within 20 years, retirement. Same may even decide to finally part with their collections. My point in saying that these were locked up until such events, is that the Census is not an indicator and the huge majority of super-HG books have not been slabbed.

Gman, The Hulk is not the same one that was sold on Heritage,but i guess since heritage sold one for 2800,anything more than that is overpaying? Well if i just bought one for 4500,doesn't that count as "another one being sold for 4500"? Didn't the bar just raise? Ok Since your a dealer and i'm not out to make you money,I'll give you $50 for the Detective 400 9.4,that's all it's worth anyway,book sucks wind.If not then, I'm just trying to get the best deal I can,what's wrong with that?

u have no idea if it is or isn't.....show scans of both books. It doesn't matter either way,

hey if u want to be the one that raises the bar, go right ahead. Nice to know you have goals that include making $ for others. My name is Kevin....and I want to be the buyer that pays the most..... makepoint.gif

u have no idea if it is or isn't.....show scans of both books. It doesn't matter either way,

hey if u want to be the one that raises the bar, go right ahead. Nice to know you have goals that include making $ for others. My name is Kevin....and I want to be the buyer that pays the most..... makepoint.gif

Hi, My name is George O'Malley and I am so cheap,no one wants to sell to me.Hope you don't mind my high prices cause i am just trying to get the most for what i have,regardless of market value.

If it don't matter either way then why are you asking me for scans? makepoint.gif

George I'm not misinformed,that is what people say behind your back,instead, i just tell you to your face.Once again,your still a insufficiently_thoughtful_person...hey is Jamie still shill bidding for you? or do you have someone else doing it for you? no wonder you get high prices on ebay for the junk you sell acclaim.gif

doc writes:

I'm sure you'd have some 9.8s, wayne. If you do have that many ASMs of that vintage, and finances permit, maybe a pre-screen lot would be a good idea. Several of us on this board would be interested.

Aha, now to illustrate my point -- I don't WANT to sell my ASMs, so there's no need to get them graded. See how that works? smile.gif

Now multiply that scenario by however many other collectors with (potential high-grade?) BA collections might be out there. Some are saying they're pessimistic that such collections exist, but I'm optimistic that they are out there and in perhaps greater quantities that might be anticipated.

Sure, I suppose if I KNEW that a particular issue would get a 9.8 and I KNEW that I could sell if for $Mega-Bucks I'd spring for the slab and cash it in (so long as I still had at least one or two other copies of that ish). But to start slabbing 10s or 20s of issues TRYING to find one that is 9.8 defeats the purpose because the value of the 9.4s and 9.6s (or, gasp, lower grades) that I'd end up with wouldn't be worth the fortune that it'd take to get me to sell an ASM. As you suggest, pre-screening would help a lot toward making it all work out as a successful profitable transaction, but it would offset the potential $Mega-Bucks to be realized.

If I get anything at all CGC graded this summer it'll be something I'm willing to part with and that's probably not going to include Spideys. Although I am kinda curious to see what my AF15 would grade (probably 2.0-ish and maybe PLOD. 893frustrated.gif).

Yes, but if you don't submit them in we won't know how many 9.8's you do or don't have..so you see my point? You could very well think you have 100 9.8's but for all we know you could really only get from CGC 60 9.4's and 40 9.6's. Who knows. It is however very difficult to get 9.8's though.

Brian

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif kevin.....still making $ and buying at good prices while u bend over and take it and love it. lots of 9.0 hulks on ebay (issue #6 and maybe one other....why aren't u buyin????).

yeah george,there's tons of them..Hulks are common in high grade right?

Now multiply that scenario by however many other collectors with (potential high-grade?) BA collections might be out there. Some are saying they're pessimistic that such collections exist, but I'm optimistic that they are out there and in perhaps greater quantities that might be anticipated.

I absolutely agree there are MANY high grade BA collections out there. They haven't been submitted to CGC because the owners are still collectors and not ready to sell. However, after reading these threads and seeing some of the prices realized, I'm toying with the idea of selling sooner rather than later. On one hand, I could continue holding on to my collection that I can't afford to add to currently OR I could retire on the sale. Hmmm. What to do?

What percentage of NICE comics have been graded by CGC? 1-2% maybe?

I absolutely agree there are MANY high grade BA collections out there. They haven't been submitted to CGC because the owners are still collectors and not ready to sell. However, after reading these threads and seeing some of the prices realized, I'm toying with the idea of selling sooner rather than later. On one hand, I could continue holding on to my collection that I can't afford to add to currently OR I could retire on the sale. Hmmm. What to do?

If this really becomes a reality I sure hope I can be one of those cashing in on it Big Time.

Davidking623 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

This is really hard to quantify, but I'd have to go along with Brian and say that 1-2% is a little on the low side. I would have thought that at least 10% of the really top grade books have been graded by now for BA (especially the keys). The percentage is probably a little higher for SA.

Yep it's impossible to say..but at 1-2 percent that's basically saying that EVERY SINGLE BOOK that was printed for a particular issue is still out there in very high grade. Which isn't possible.

Brian

I just checked the census for Conan #1 as a bronze example and saw a total of 460 graded copies. 263 of those were graded 8.5 or higher. IF the print run was 263,000 copies AND IF 26,300 still exist in 8.5 or better (I doubt it), that would be 1%. That's a LOT of IFS on my part so I'm guessing CGC has probably graded closer to 10% of the keys. That means another 2,367 Conan #1s are out there in 8.5 (or better) RAW. It's all speculation, but fun. smile.gif