• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October's revolving door collection...

144 posts in this topic

acclaim.gifPOST 10,000! acclaim.gif

Thanks to Marc from Houseofcomics who mentioned it in a PM. I seriously would have missed it otherwise!

I figured I should do something special, but what can I really say? Thanks to everybody on this forum, it has been a blast. Hope I am around for 10,000 more.

With that, I will just post my very first comic, purchased from Tichler's Finer Foods in Western Springs.

cloud9.gif

donald.jpg

Good taste for one so young! thumbsup2.gif

Here is a GREAT Batman cover that tends to get overlooked because it's a Kaluta book in the middle of the Adams run. I love the brooding tone of the art, and Batman crouching over his own gravestone is a fantastic image. In fact, I liked it so much I had Kaluta do a sketch recreation of it two years ago in San Diego. Thanks to Rocketeer for hooking me up with this gorgeous NM copy.

bats242.jpg

Here is a GREAT Batman cover that tends to get overlooked because it's a Kaluta book in the middle of the Adams run. I love the brooding tone of the art, and Batman crouching over his own gravestone is a fantastic image. In fact, I liked it so much I had Kaluta do a sketch recreation of it two years ago in San Diego. Thanks to Rocketeer for hooking me up with this gorgeous NM copy.

bats242.jpg

One of my favorites too. Kaluta did a pretty darn nice Batman from time to time.

Scott

FOOM.jpg

Might as well finish off the Sterako Hulk trilogy. I got really lucky and scored the Cap 110 for $25 and the King Size 1 for $26, both on eBay. The 110 is probably a 9.0 and the KS 1 is an 8.0.

Doesn't get much better than these...

cap110.jpg

KSH1.jpg

Congrats, just forget about actually reading any entertaining comics for the forseeable future. poke2.gif

In your opinion. 893naughty-thumb.gif I get more entertainment out of my Detective Archives than I did from Hush.

foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

I'm a huge Batman fan and own the first Archive with Tec 27 on up - the only thing its good for is insomnia. news.gif

FOOM.jpg

Might as well finish off the Sterako Hulk trilogy. I got really lucky and scored the Cap 110 for $25 and the King Size 1 for $26, both on eBay. The 110 is probably a 9.0 and the KS 1 is an 8.0.

Doesn't get much better than these...

cap110.jpg

KSH1.jpg

Great books! It's about time you got around to posting some decent Marvel stuff. poke2.gif

Here is another great Skywald mag that you just NEVER see. I dig covers with falling snow (don't ask me why) and that effect really adds to the almost clusterphobic graveyard atmosphere. I also like the burial shroud on the corpse, and the fact he had to tear his way through it. The bloody handprint was a nice touch.

nightmare13.jpg

Here is a recent pickup from a forum member. I love Russ Heath graytones, but this is the first one I have owned. I hope to add a few more Sea Devils under number 10, and the Showcase issues as well. Thanks Jimbo, and thanks for grading it accurately (at VG/F). hail.gif

seadevils1.jpg

Here is a recent pickup from a forum member. I love Russ Heath graytones, but this is the first one I have owned. I hope to add a few more Sea Devils under number 10, and the Showcase issues as well. Thanks Jimbo, and thanks for grading it accurately (at VG/F). hail.gif

seadevils1.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.That copy would probably benefit from a nice discrete pressing cool.gif.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

I have been a huge Punisher fan since the age of 12. I avoided his early ASM appearances for quite awhile since I couldn't afford them. That changed awhile back when I placed in one of the final spots in a Comicsupply grading contest. I got some store credit as a prize and I decided to take the plunge. Here is one of the books I picked out. Russ had this at an 8.0. No way Jose. I would say 9.2. blush.gif

asm135.jpg

I have been a huge Punisher fan since the age of 12. I avoided his early ASM appearances for quite awhile since I couldn't afford them. That changed awhile back when I placed in one of the final spots in a Comicsupply grading contest. I got some store credit as a prize and I decided to take the plunge. Here is one of the books I picked out. Russ had this at an 8.0. No way Jose. I would say 9.2. blush.gif

asm135.jpg

That's a reeeeal nice copy.

Yeah it is. cloud9.gif

Here is my most recent Punisher purchase. Big props to Inhuman Fiend for this VERY tightly graded F/VF! Best damn 7.0 I have ever laid eyes on! Thanks Greg!

I have wanted a copy of this one for 13 or 14 years and it was probably my #1 obtainable grail.

asm129G.jpg

Back when I was in junior high, my best friend's older brother had a big comic collection and I remember sitting in his basement reading through them on some blazing summer afternoons, when it was too hot out to play baseball or go exploring. He had a bunch of cool books, like some early Tick issues, Groo, Eclipse's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Lee's Punisher War Journal run, ect. I really liked the art in New Mutants then, as that style was really fresh at the time. I never got a copy of 87, even though I desperately wanted one. I remember my cousin Steve, who some of you know, was cool enough to send me a copy of 93 along with a Punisher 10. I never forgot that.

Anyway, here is something funny. It's my very first want list, made when I was maybe 11, with New Mutants 87 on it. At the time, the Wizard value was $40. That might make a neat thread, posting lists from when you were a kid.

list.jpg

Six months ago I came across a copy at a shop near my house and got it for $5. Brought back many fond memories!

NM87.jpg

A want list thread would be cool...unfortunately mine was mainly scrawled and highlighted throuout the Gerber's, which I foolishly sold when I sold the pre-codes a few years back. Of course, now i'm collecting them again.

Note to self: never sell pre-codes again.

One of my favorite Cardy covers. I picked this one up at Chicago Comics as well, for around $15 or $20 I think. The orginal art for this one recently sold for 6-8K which surprised me a little, but I was glad to see that people recognized how fantastic this run is. You almost need sunglasses to look at it...

aqa49.jpg

Here are my three favorite Kaluta horror covers. The great thing about these is that you can still pick them up for next to nothing. I don't think I paid more than $3 for any one of them. I really need to spend some time and pick up his work from the copper age. It's just heads and shoulders above the rest, without any price hike.

hom261.jpg

hom263.jpg

hom268.jpg