• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover gallery project

I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive gallery of comic covers.  

150 members have voted

1. 1. I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive gallery of comic covers.

23 posts in this topic

Many of you may be aware that there is a "Gallery" link on the CGC homepage which contains covers of various comics that have been graded over the years organized alphabetically.

I was browsing some of my favorite titles tonight and I smiled to find a few of my books included. But, I also thought it was unfortunate to discover that so many great covers were unrepresented.

So, a question occured to me. Would CGC and forum members be interested in cooperatively creating the most comprehensive gallery of comics on the web?

Would CGC be willing to pony up the bandwidth for forum members to post additional covers and reorganize the gallery by title rather than alphabet to speed up the time it takes to load the images? Would forum members take the time to submit covers? Would there be an interest in this feature by collectors?

What do you all think?

So, a question occured to me. Would CGC and forum members be interested in cooperatively creating the most comprehensive gallery of comics on the web?

Do you mean slabbed comics or regular comics? If you mean regular comics, I wouldn't even bother competing with The Grand Comics Database. Over 100,000 comic covers here:

http://www.comics.org/

If someone wants to organize it all...I could provide about 2000 raw cover scans.I also have scans of almost every slab I've ever owned if we wanted to create a slabbed gallery.For example:

Select a thumbnail from the left to zoom.
12294589.jpg" border=0  onclick="VPimage.src=
Image hosting and Zoom Gallery by VillagePhotos.com

Just to clarify. Do you want to create a graded comic cover galley? If so, I am all for it. thumbsup2.gif

If you are talking raw books, then that has pretty much been done to death already. confused-smiley-013.gif

Do you mean slabbed comics or regular comics? If you mean regular comics, I wouldn't even bother competing with The Grand Comics Database. Over 100,000 comic covers here:

http://www.comics.org/

The Grand Comics Database probably broke 125,000 covers by now. I contribute pictures from time to time and find the GCD to be the most comprehensive comic book cover site out there. Excellent reference tool.

thumbsup2.gif

No, the covers aren't mine. Pics are gotten piecemeal from the usual sources.

Hey Heinlein, a simple suggestion for your site. On the front page, I would list the alphabet A-Z as links. Then when you click a letter it takes you to a page with those titles for that letter. A larger font size would make a difference as well.

As it is now, when you click the link for all the titles, the list is really long and the title font size is really small.

Just to clarify. Do you want to create a graded comic cover galley? If so, I am all for it. thumbsup2.gif

If you are talking raw books, then that has pretty much been done to death already. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was thinking graded comics, thanks for the clarification. I like the links so far to the other comic cover databases. I wasn't aware of the DC one or Heinlein's.

I may be offbase here, but isn't that what the registry is for? Graded Comics oganized by title with descriptions and images.

My only criticism of the registry is that it favors collectors with money to spend. I would rather just see an open registry without points and sets. Where you can just enter your own library or collection, of your own choosing. So you oculd make your own title run or artist, or whatever.

For example Beyonder could make his own Signature Series set, that has his SS books in it.

The Registry also completely eliminates someone who does not collect mainstream books from participating. To the best of my knowledge not a single one of my 60 or so slabs is represented. I'd love to do a Pep 22-65 or Jackpot 4-9 set, for example.

The Registry also completely eliminates someone who does not collect mainstream books from participating. To the best of my knowledge not a single one of my 60 or so slabs is represented. I'd love to do a Pep 22-65 or Jackpot 4-9 set, for example.

Why? Nobody wants those old silly books, and they certainly aren't worth anything. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

BTW, Richie Muchin is a lightning rod for a lot of people here, but he had some SWEET early Peps yesterday in Tysons - 22, 23, 25, 28, 30, 36 and others.

Yes please do a graded site with large scans. I would love to check that out.

I already have most of my books scanned so you can have them as well.

I am sure I can get some of my friends who have tons of graded books to submit them as well.