• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone notice ........

32 posts in this topic

That next year Philly and Heroes are both set for the same weekend -- June 15-17 ... will this never cease. I`m not sure who publically announced 1`st -- Shelton @ Heroes posted it on their website this past Fri. -- not sure when Wizard announced -- will the madness never cease !!!! BigMike sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

That next year Philly and Heroes are both set for the same weekend -- June 15-17 ... will this never cease. I`m not sure who publically announced 1`st -- Shelton @ Heroes posted it on their website this past Fri. -- not sure when Wizard announced -- will the madness never cease !!!! BigMike sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Father's Day weekend as well.

I want to say Shelton announced those dates a lot earlier than last friday. Maybe he just finally confirmed them? confused-smiley-013.gif But 15-17th sound very familar for some reason. Heroes has usually been on father's day weekend in the past.

Shelton has always had the show fathers day weekend, think it was a scheduling conflict this year. I would goto charlotte over philly myself but don't mind it as the crowds will be split.

Wizard is being just plain stupid at this point. there is FAR too much creator/fan support for Heroes for them to try and take control of the summer con season. they should just be happy with the success of their other shows and acknowledge that Heroes is safe until Shelton quits doing it

big business don't care, they would probably rather take a loss to know the little (well not little anymore) guy out. I will support shelton to the end as it's usually a great show. we will see this year now that the secrets out.

The thing is when Wizard announced they were doing a ATL show the same weekend, they had to retract it due to support from the collectors and creators for Heroe's. Why would they think anything has changed?

I would love to see a show here in Atlanta. I hate having to drive really far just to get a decent comic show.

I agree with you. However there is no need for any show to be in competetion with another.

there is no reason to have major shows on the same weekend -- there are 52 weeks in a year -- deduct 20 weekends for holidays - mothers day , christmas .... and bad weather months dec. jan. feb etc ... and you still have plenty of room for everyone --- sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifBigMike

There are 12 months in a year. They don't have to make it at the same time as Heroes.

Atlanta has tried and failed several times for the big show. I stopped trying to figure it out as it really doesn't make sense with 4 million people here. Of course there is always Dragon Con, I always forget about that disaster.

There are 12 months in a year. They don't have to make it at the same time as Heroes.

Atlanta has tried and failed several times for the big show. I stopped trying to figure it out as it really doesn't make sense with 4 million people here. Of course there is always Dragon Con, I always forget about that disaster.

Fie on DragonCon. It used to be such a great show, and now its all Lorenzo Lamas and booths renting costumes.

ooohhhh... stop -- I bought some books from you Bob -- but truth be told, I have to admit that I have been disappointed... why did you disagree that Philly wasn't a great show --?

my reasons for going to NC would have more to do with going for a visit than anything else.

Philly was a good buying show and a ok/good selling show.

Sunday was a decent day for me.

I would do Philly over Charlotte.

Here's my rant to people complaining about shows.

Write the promoter. Does anybody think Wizard promoters are reading this thread?

I am a firm believer that word of mouth is sadly one of the top forms of advertising driving collectors decisions to go to shows. And this is true for the dealers as well as collectors. But let me give you a dealer secret handshake nugget of information. Dealers do not want to say they had a great show. Why is that? Because then more dealers will do the show and dilute the sales.

The idea that a show is not good is not just driven by my show sales. Just as the promoter is "promoting the show" I am at the show trying to make sales as well as drive customers to my website which runs all year long. Philly was a great show because I ran out of business cards. Anybody looking at a book in my boxes or at a wall book got a card. My business after the show from customers in the Philly area was quite strong. I notice this after every show I'm at.

Fair enough.

But I want to say that my evaluation of whether the show is a "great" show or not extends well beyond just did I find new high grade for my collection.

Sure, there were some nice books that I had no interest for in the room...

But I was also distracted by the spike t.v. display, felt that the room did have the same energy, that the guests and guest lists were less impressive -- but mostly that for $25 for the average fan, i question whether they are really getting value when a lot of them get in and are disappointed they have to spend more money just to get an autograph etc.

Look, as far as dealers are concerned, I was disappointed in the quality of this year's WW Philly. That's the way I saw it. Bob -- I did not see a lot of exciting stuff. I've seen a lot of Al Stoltz's books already, I see Jeff Weaver on a regular basis, I looked at your stock and saw a lot of nice books, some I was looking, for others i would have bought, but others beat me to them by the time I decided I wanted those books as well...

But Motor City and Harley and some of the other dealers just didn't seem to have anything really new or exciting -- perhaps that's perception.

I certainly enjoyed picking through North Coast's collection. But aside from that, I just didn't see even a smattering of well graded books. I wasn't asking for bargain prices, but I'm still seeing inflated pricing from 2-3 years ago.

I dunno, if I want to see that, I'll look online and stick with the dealers I know and skip the show. But then again, you know me, I bet I end up seeing you in NY at Big Apple even though I say I'm not going now. 27_laughing.gif

Fie on DragonCon. It used to be such a great show, and now its all Lorenzo Lamas and booths renting costumes.

Atlanta Fantasy Fair used to be a great show. Dragon Con has always been a little strange for my tastes. The comic guys that are there can always be found at local shows though, so maybe its ok for people coming from out of town or who do not attend the locals.