• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debate on general dealer buying ads in this board.

84 posts in this topic

Russ, I'm going to play the part of JC today, but if this is for your Comicsupply web site shouldn't this be in the other forum for retailers? I'm just inquiring.

teeeeechnically, it's "WTB," so he might be okay.

he should give $50 worth of store credit to every active board member just to be on the safe side, though

Russ, I'm going to play the part of JC today, but if this is for your Comicsupply web site shouldn't this be in the other forum for retailers?

This post is a real "gray zone", but since he isn't linking to his site, posting emails or otherwise spamming the boards, it probably just squeezes through. confused-smiley-013.gif

Russ, I'm going to play the part of JC today, but if this is for your Comicsupply web site shouldn't this be in the other forum for retailers?

This post is a real "gray zone", but since he isn't linking to his site, posting emails or otherwise spamming the boards, it probably just squeezes through. confused-smiley-013.gif

I liked the $50 store credit idea poke2.gif

I liked the $50 store credit idea poke2.gif

I don't.

I also should mention this.

If you are going to be sending me a list of stuff with a price attached. Keep in mind that generally any customer of mine is going to wait until I have a sale to pick up these issues. So, lets assume you want $1000 for a stack of comics. At worst I will be selling those for say $650, and at best I will sell for $1000. I am mentioning this as I would like people to keep it in mind when making a valuation for their books. I tend to price comics at or just under guide so obviously I wouldn't be able to purchase say $1000 worth of books in the guide for $800. So, taking this example I would be able to purchase that $1000 for around $500-550.

I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time or anything so I figured I would just disclose my thought process on that.

My apologies to you Russ, I wasn't trying to derail the thread. I just wanted to be sure others with deep pockets like metropolis or neatstuff weren't going to be posting here too!!! I too get sad/mad when I lose out in here.

Again, I apologize. flowerred.gif

So you are basically paying 1/2 guide just like every other dealer?

Not really. I don't pay half guide for say Captain Marvels from Marvel or Sub-Mariners. I also don't pay half guide for higher grade ASMS I pay closer to 80%.

If you pay half guide for everything then I have a boatload of Submariners and Little Lulu's, Aquaman, Hawkmans etc, to sell you. smile.gif

My apologies to you Russ, I wasn't trying to derail the thread. I just wanted to be sure others with deep pockets like metropolis or neatstuff weren't going to be posting here too!!! I too get sad/mad when I lose out in here.

Again, I apologize. flowerred.gif

No worries, I know you were playing. I thought I placed this thread in exactly the correct spot.

Well, then no offense dude, unless I was unloading junk, I could sell it myself at 50% off - and so could everyone else on the boards.

So as Bob noted, you're like every other dealer trying to buy at 50% off. Sorry, won't be selling you any SA keys -- can't imagine anyone else doing so either.

Forgive me than what exactly does this mean "Just a heads up to everyone here. A lot of times I miss out on threads that I would purchase and afterwards I am sad that I missed out, but also am sad for the seller because a lot of times I would of paid much more".

Well, if the guy had Captain Marvels and Submariners the statement is not true. If it were Silver age Keys that wouldn't be true either because I've paid full guide or more for keys. In fact I would gladly pay full guide for any CGC AF #15 in 2.0 or better with offwhite or better pages. The same goes for FF #1, Hulk #1, etc.

Your "I'll pay more" comes with a "I'll pay more" but it essentially means "Good stuff" versus "dealer defined junk".

Foolkiller and Bob,

I never said I will pay more across the board as I really detest people who say that because we all know that really isn't true. I said that "A LOT OF TIMES: I would have paid more. Don't paint my statement with such a broad stroke.

My statement is basically if your going to give it away on here then check with me because I will most likely pay you more than you would get on here. I never said I pay 50% of guide you just eluded to that fact.

Take for instance Nikos's thread where he sold a lot of early FF's. Each and every one of them I would of paid him appx 10-30% more. Now, I don't think any of them were priced at half guide but they were early books that I really needed.

If someone says has a key that guides for $500 I would probably pay roughly $400. How that is 50% of guide I don't know. If someone has say a nice stack of high grade bronze age stuff, I will probably pay 60-70% of guide. It all depends on what someone has and what needs I have.

I also should mention this.

If you are going to be sending me a list of stuff with a price attached. Keep in mind that generally any customer of mine is going to wait until I have a sale to pick up these issues. So, lets assume you want $1000 for a stack of comics. At worst I will be selling those for say $650, and at best I will sell for $1000. I am mentioning this as I would like people to keep it in mind when making a valuation for their books. I tend to price comics at or just under guide so obviously I wouldn't be able to purchase say $1000 worth of books in the guide for $800. So, taking this example I would be able to purchase that $1000 for around $500-550.

I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time or anything so I figured I would just disclose my thought process on that.

*Nervously checks his PMs*

I asked half guide. hail.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I sold some books (moderns) to Russ about 2 weeks ago, didn't argue with price and saved me a ton of time listing them on ebay. I will gladly sell to Comic Supply again...obviously anytime you are selling to a someone with a storefront of some type they need to make their money too.

I sold some books (moderns) to Russ about 2 weeks ago, didn't argue with price and saved me a ton of time listing them on ebay. I will gladly sell to Comic Supply again...obviously anytime you are selling to a someone with a storefront of some type they need to make their money too.

same here, I have a chunk of comics on hold for Russ and more coming thumbsup2.gif

Hey Russ, I like your site and have purchased books and supplies off of you before, however I think this post runs contrary to the spirit of this entire forum. The forum only buying and selling threads were initiated to facilitate transactions between forum members (often collector to collector) on a first come, first served basis. In effect to circumvent the middle man and allow for forumites to engage in transactions with trusted and established collectors and peers.

By initiating a blanket statement, in the OSPG vein of, always buying immediate cash paid and then qualifying with caveats - I really feel this move runs contrary to the spirit of this section of the CGC boards.

Hey Russ, I like your site and have purchased books and supplies off of you before, however I think this post runs contrary to the spirit of this entire forum. The forum only buying and selling threads were initiated to facilitate transactions between forum members (often collector to collector) on a first come, first served basis. In effect to circumvent the middle man and allow for forumites to engage in transactions with trusted and established collectors and peers.

By initiating a blanket statement, in the OSPG vein of, always buying immediate cash paid and then qualifying with caveats - I really feel this move runs contrary to the spirit of this section of the CGC boards.

All I really was saying was that if you want to check with me before you list great, if not no biggie. I could of just made a huge list of everything that I was buying but I would be here for a year and probably would never finish it.

I get what your saying though smile.gif