• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Texas volunteer comfirmation

8 posts in this topic

I think they should pay you for your services.If it was a non profit group you could justify using unpaid volunteers because it would be for a good cause.

But since it is a out of state commercial entity using a city owned facility I am wondering if they are violating state and federal labor laws by not paying you for your services.

After all federal minimum wage is $5.15 an hour.If they use you for 8 hours that would be $41.20 gross for you.Which would be nothing for you but if they paid a local unemployed person to do the same work for a day it could mean a couple of hot meals for someone or the difference between having money for gas to get to work on Monday.

If they wanted to avoid the paperwork of social security and taxes.All they would have to is hire you as a independent contractor (day laborer) and pay you cash at the end of the day.

I just hate that they use "volunteers" and pay them with promo items that they get for free from publishers and probably pass out to regular attendees anyway.

Volunteer for non -profit convention like San Diego Comic Con or DFW's All Con or better yet your local homeless shelter or other charity group in your area.

If Wizard World can charge $500- $800 for a booth and $20 - $40 for admission for tickets they should able to pay their local workers.

insane.gif

True, but if they treat me like a dirt bag you can be sure that I won't be back on Sunday as a volunteer. =)

Someone else told me that they knew someone that volunteered for a Wizard show and ended up getting a ton of FREE sketches by many of the artists.

That would be cool I suppose.

The commitment required for volunteer work at most cons is only 2-3 hours per day. In exchange, you get free admission for the rest of the day, and additional goodies as buffyfan mentioned.

Yes, cash would be nice, but it seems like a pretty fair deal if you have a limited budget and want to save that $30-50 or whatever admission would have been so you can buy other things.

I recently got my confirmation. I'll be working in the AM all three days, so I get free admission for the whole con and a whole afternoon each day to enjoy it! I'll definitely be pursuing some sketches...anyone else with me? BTW, I'll be the skinny guy with long blond hair. My name should be obvious grin.gif