• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legitimate Non-Threatening Questions Posed To Matt Nelson

719 posts in this topic

why not use some of th emoney collected for EWERT ETC (or solicit new funds) to hire actual pollsters to do it?

MARK, YOU MUST KNOW OF real polling outfits... chances are there will be quite a few onsite in San Diego for Hollywood who might have a fee for an extra 4 or 5 questions to ask???

FFB Bloviation 893blahblah.gifstooges.gif

Not to mention that taking money from the Ewert litigation fund, which a completely separate issue, would be highly inappropriate. People who donated to that did so with a specific purpose in mind. It's not Mark or anyone else's place to reallocate how those monies can be used. Soliciting new funds is obviously an option as Aman mentioned, but as Scott points out, professional polling is extremely expensive.

BTW Jim, i'm not sure that everyone knows that Mark is OUT of the Ewert litigation picture and Scott is THE pointman now...................(per Marks note to me notifying that my donation had been forwarded to Scott..........).

would agree with that too.

Brad -- give me a call today or tomorrow (I go on vacation late friday) and we'll talk about the details of getting this together and out.

Will do, just pm me your phone #......i switched cell phones and lost some of my phone book.

Brad

1. Do you know what pressing is?

2. If yes, do you believe that pressing is restoration?

3. If a book has been pressed, do you believe that fact should be disclosed?

4. If yes, do you believe the disclosure should be upfront, or only upon being asked?

I like these, and would add one more...

5. If you don't believe pressing to be restoration, would you be prepared to pay the same money for a pressed book as you would an unpressed one?

Three questions are great, but I believe we can stretch to five, providing they are straight forward and simple. With these five, the answers are one word, so we won't be taxing anybody's patience.

I actually have over 300+ e-mail addresses of buyers and would be happy to send the agreed questionaire out and collate the response. The results can then be added to the 'pot'.

I like those 5 questions. Go for it! thumbsup2.gif

4. If yes, do you believe the disclosure should be upfront, or only upon being asked?

5. If you don't believe pressing to be restoration, would you be prepared to pay the same money for a pressed book as you would an unpressed one?

Three questions are great, but I believe we can stretch to five, providing they are straight forward and simple. With these five, the answers are one word, so we won't be taxing anybody's patience.

I actually have over 300+ e-mail addresses of buyers and would be happy to send the agreed questionaire out and collate the response. The results can then be added to the 'pot'.

HOLY [embarrassing lack of self control]!!!

Now I agree with you. 893whatthe.gif

The end is near.... shy.gif

Thanks guys. Some great suggestions there!

As Brian said above, results of a survey like this would be purely non-scientific, but would certainly be a cost-effective improvement over anecdotally-based presumptions and talking points. I think the scale of this informal straw poll would be adequate for now, and I think the idea of mailing out surveys is a good one.

The only thing I would hesitate to do would be to seed a convention with material like Aman suggested....that could influence the results. Like I said, the goal of this survey should be fact gathering, not editorializing. I just want to see what the current awareness level of collectors is, not influence it, at least for now.

Red

I mentioned the flyer idea when it seemed improbable that a poll would or could get organized in time. Im all in favor of a poll to determine (to whatever degree possible) just what the situation 'out there' really is. Whether the majotiry understand the issue and dont care; or when hearing of it rect with chagrin and horror. And whether they are affected by pressing by virtiue of what they collect.....

I agree flyers touting an issue that others are going around trying to sample awareness on is silly. But, in the future, what better way to spread the word beyond our little internecine wars here on the boards than the big summer Cons??

I think they need some tweaking to make the questions less loaded in some areas, but it's a good start. thumbsup2.gif

Unless you'd rather stick a fork in your eye than read yet another long-winded treatise on pressing (written by a lawyer nonetheless!), there's a pragmatic article in the latest GPA newsletter, titled:

"A Not So Pressing Matter by Peter J. Bilelis, Esq"

I don't recognize the name, is this a board-member? If not, he's certainly a lurker and should be a board member! hi.gif

Unless you'd rather stick a fork in your eye than read yet another long-winded treatise on pressing (written by a lawyer nonetheless!), there's a pragmatic article in the latest GPA newsletter, titled:

I don't recognize the name, is this a board-member? If not, he's certainly a lurker and should be a board member! hi.gif

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

I think they need some tweaking to make the questions less loaded in some areas, but it's a good start. thumbsup2.gif

OK, this is not in any way facetious, and is a genuine request for assistance, but...

I think the premise of each question is actually just about perfect. However, how would you rephrase them to make them less 'loaded'? confused-smiley-013.gif

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

Ya, I read that pile of bull. I think it's fine for him to articulate his feelings on the matter, but the constant "matter of fact" way he lumped all "anti-NDPers" thoughts and feelings on the topic together was rather disappointing.

He and Foolkiller's ability to state their opinions like scientific facts is astounding. foreheadslap.gif

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

Ya, I read that pile of bull. I think it's fine for him to articulate his feelings on the matter, but the constant "matter of fact" way he lumped all "anti-NDPers" thoughts and feelings on the topic together was rather disappointing.

He and Foolkiller's ability to state their opinions like scientific facts is astounding. foreheadslap.gif

How are you any different in that regard? You're as guilty of it as anyone here.

OK, this is not in any way facetious, and is a genuine request for assistance, but...

I think the premise of each question is actually just about perfect. However, how would you rephrase them to make them less 'loaded'? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll take a crack at these today and will post what I come up with.

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

I'm just so out of the loop... foreheadslap.gif

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

Imagine how the 'average collector' must feel. insane.gif

Learned_Hand gossip.gif

Imagine how the 'average collector' must feel. insane.gif

I don't believe the average collector knows about the issue, nor would they really care if they knew since it wouldn't affect them one bit as they dig through the quarter, dollar, and "50% off SA and BA!!" boxes anyway. The average collector doesn't buy slabbed books, nor does he buy expensive books. Board members care, but we're all above average collectors anyway! acclaim.gif