• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ID this piece of Golden Age art

11 posts in this topic

Hi! First time poster here. This looks like an awesome forum! I looked around first for posting guidelines, so if I've missed them, please point them out. Anyway, on to the meat of my post...

I recently bought this, my first comic art purchase, because I like how it looks. smile.gif

On the back it says

'Klaus Nordling? (Jack Kamen?)

"Kid Dixon"

National Comics #?

Quality Publ.

1940's

$100--'

Kid Dixon

Does anyone have the skinny on this as to the correct artist/comic?

I have a hunch on the artist, but you guys are the experts!

Thanks in advance!

The Penciller is Klaus Nordling. I have not been able to peg the issue though. Could have been National Comics #11. On the bright side, the last Kid Dixon issue was #32. So, you only have to look through about 20 issues or so. insane.gif

The Penciller is Klaus Nordling. I have not been able to peg the issue though. Could have been National Comics #11. On the bright side, the last Kid Dixon issue was #32. So, you only have to look through about 20 issues or so. insane.gif

news.gif

A bonifide "contribution to the boards", July 13th, 2006. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

news.gif

poke2.gif

Thanks! I couldn't find much online from Nordling that I felt resembled this style.

Do you think Jack Kamen could have had a hand in it? I did find several examples of his work that remind me this. For instance http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=803&Lot_No=5798&src=pr

In particular the use of cross-hatching, the way the hands and clothing folds were drawn. Perhaps they had the same inker? I know Al Feldstein inked a lot of Kamen's work at the Iger shop. I even see similarities in some of Kamen's EC work. Of course one artist could always imitate another's style.

Thanks again!

yeah, according to the GCD, the Kid Dixon story in National Comics 2 is "Bout With Slugger Sweeney."

seeing as there's that guy in panel 2 mentioning "Slugger," it's a decent chance at being the one.

now all you have to do is find a dirt cheap copy of National 2 to check...

27_laughing.gif

of course, some checking of the data would show that there's also a guy named "Slugger" in issue 5, so off you go to find out for sure