• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

giclee prints

7 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me about giclee prints? I know they are high quality prints, and often limited in some way. But would you other collectors consider this a good way to get art you love? I'm torn. The collector in me wants only original, but the art lover in me just wants to have cool art.

What are your thoughts?

it is a nice way to showcase an image IMO...the giclees on canvas are killer. the colors jumo out. the giclees on paper are nice as well and are less $. with a nice framing job, they look really nice in an office or collectibles room.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giclee

Giclée is the use of the ink-jet printing process for making fine art large format digital images. The term — from the French verb gicler meaning "to squirt, to spray" — first applied to "Iris prints" created in the early 1990s on the Scitex "Iris Model Four" colour drum piezo-head inkjet proofer, a commercial printer designed to preview what a print will look like before mass production begins.

The term, sometimes anglicized as giclee, is used to describe any high-resolution, large-format ink-jet printer output with fade-resistant dye- or pigment-based inks. It is common for these printers to use between six and twelve colour inks. The use of dye based inks requires special coating to avoid fading.

Though originally intended for proofing, many artists and photographers use ink-jet printers as an alternative to lithography, serigraphy or serilith for limited edition original prints or reproductions. The cost of producing limited edition runs is greatly reduced compared to alternative printing methods.

Are they all limited in number? Or is that a case by case basis?

most are limited..some canvas like the knight over gotham by ross was limited to only 25 and the Original 7 to 100.

the paper giclees are produced in higher #s...some 250 and 500 and some higher depending on the piece.

I have a number of giclee prints of covers for which I own the OA...a very nice way to display the final published image without all that superfluous cover text and such...and yes, they are stunning. It's also a great alternative for a piece you love where the original might be out of your price range...or you simply can't find it.

Court