• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey to Reveal His Identity!

185 posts in this topic

Don't see what the big deal is. Could shake up the book/character in a good way... confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree. I just wish they didn't have to kill off MJ because Quesada doesn't like the idea of a divorced Peter Parker. Couldn't they just send her off to Europe in search of their Goblin swiped kid?

I coulda swore I read Quesada said it would be cliche'd to kill off MJ since so many people close to PP dies already....

To be honest I don't know why I don't like the reveal, I just DON'T for some reason. I guess I think it's against character. I actually get the feeling there won't be a mindwipe at the end of this for some reason. It seems like Marvel is determined to make it a more "living" universe. When I first started reading comics in the early 90's nothing ever really changed. Thanos gets a gauntlet that can change the very fabric of the universe, at the end of the series guess what changes...nuttin.....

The Marvel of now seems determined to have at a few good shakeups a few times a year and I think Marvel is better for it. But for all the one's you don't care about (Hawkeye dies), there's going to be one's like this that you will care about.....the funny part is, from a storyline point of view I think having Cap be a fugitive for a good while is more effective and honest than PP revealing his identity....

All this being said though, I think Civil War is one of Marvel's better writing as of late (2nd only to DD) and I am curious to see where they go w/ this and I will reserve my final judegement until the conclusion of the series....

Spider-Man unmasks before all in the Modern Civil War story line...

I wonder what is point after this?...

Another line crossed in modern ASM marvels...

UGH!

tongue.gif

I wonder what JJJ's reaction is when he finally finds out that wall-crawler he's hated all these years was in his employ. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

*Sits back and waits for someone to tell him JJJ been dead for years* crazy.gif

Spider-Man unmasks before all in the Modern Civil War story line...

I wonder what is point after this?...

Another line crossed in modern ASM marvels...

UGH!

tongue.gif

I wonder what JJJ's reaction is when he finally finds out that wall-crawler he's hated all these years was in his employ. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

*Sits back and waits for someone to tell him JJJ been dead for years* crazy.gif

He faints

This just proves, yet again, that Joey Q doesn't understand what makes the Marvel characters click with readers. He's all into the "shock and awe" and not into developing the characters.

Though I blame the writers as well for doing things they think are "cool". Marvel during Q's run is a perfect example of the convicts running the asylum and why a strong editor with a clear vision is needed in comics. Shooter may have gained many enemies during his tenure but the comics were very enjoyable and seen as a Marvel high mark.

Shock value cr@p like this just turns readers away, except for the speculation fanboys, and makes a mockery of what once was a proud franchise of characters...

Jim

Though I blame the writers as well for doing things they think are "cool". Marvel during Q's run is a perfect example of the convicts running the asylum and why a strong editor with a clear vision is needed in comics.

But that is Joe Q's way of running the shop. I remember reading an article where he was quoted as telling the creative team "If this book isn't a top ten seller within 6 months, get yourself a new job".

So although the writers must take some of the blame, the impetus to create these stupid "short term gain, long term pain" "shock and awe" stories are a result of Joe Q's bizarre employee management strategies.

But that is Joe Q's way of running the shop. I remember reading an article where he was quoted as telling the creative team "If this book isn't a top ten seller within 6 months, get yourself a new job".

So although the writers must take some of the blame, the impetus to create these stupid "short term gain, long term pain" "shock and awe" stories are a result of Joe Q's bizarre employee management strategies.

Sure...but he's one of the convicts with no clear vision for the characters. What is needed is an editor who has separated himself from the creative process and sees the characters story more as a legacy than a short term idea. Some of these writers know better but have gone along regardless. Tells you something about the current state of comics when those who know better go along with the flow...

Jim

but I wonder if the movie franchise is pushing for some shocking events so they can keep making the 100+ million dollar movies....

Highly doubtful, and Modern comics have absolutely no impact on the movie franchises, and like everything else, movies are mining the baby boomer nostalgia.

Just a quick question for clarification: this thread is basically spoiling a huge "shocking" revelation in the second issue of Marvel Civil War? The same shocking revelation that all the big comic sites are being very careful about not revealing?

I have not read Civil War #2 yet, so I am just curious, you know?

Not really, because they lead up to it Amazing Spider-Man 532. The whole issue deals with him tlaking with MJ an dAunt May on whether he should unmask or not. Both MJ and AM say he should be proud to be who he is, so the last panel has Spider-Man at the podium addressing the press with an announcment. So it's not really a shock or spoiler that he is unmasking.

Sure...but he's one of the convicts with no clear vision for the characters. What is needed is an editor who has separated himself from the creative process and sees the characters story more as a legacy than a short term idea. Some of these writers know better but have gone along regardless. Tells you something about the current state of comics when those who know better go along with the flow...

Jim

And because writers today don't see the characters in more of a legacy type light, we get short term story arc c_r_a_p like we're seeing now. No thought to history, no thought to continuity, just short term shock and awe to drive up (temporary) sales.

but I wonder if the movie franchise is pushing for some shocking events so they can keep making the 100+ million dollar movies....

Highly doubtful, and Modern comics have absolutely no impact on the movie franchises, and like everything else, movies are mining the baby boomer nostalgia.

Really? Maybe I missed something in old X-Men comics but I don't recall seeing the "mutant cure" that was in X-Men 3.

Where did that come from? Did that exist in the X-Men comics that the baby boomers were reading as kids back then?

I would say that Ultimate Spiderman had more of an impact on the first Spidey movie than the old stuff. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a quick question for clarification: this thread is basically spoiling a huge "shocking" revelation in the second issue of Marvel Civil War? The same shocking revelation that all the big comic sites are being very careful about not revealing?

I have not read Civil War #2 yet, so I am just curious, you know?

Not really, because they lead up to it Amazing Spider-Man 532. The whole issue deals with him tlaking with MJ an dAunt May on whether he should unmask or not. Both MJ and AM say he should be proud to be who he is, so the last panel has Spider-Man at the podium addressing the press with an announcment. So it's not really a shock or spoiler that he is unmasking.

I actually agree a less expicit title and the word SPOILER would have been nice (I posted about it yesterday with a big spoiler myself), even though, you're right about this not being the biggest "shock" of all time.

To be honest I don't know why I don't like the reveal, I just DON'T for some reason. I guess I think it's against character.

There's your reason. It's TOTALLY against character. But what does Joey Q care about the history of the character, and staying true to that idea.

Contrary to what he thinks, you can make sucessful, entertaining, profitable comics without all this shock value [embarrassing lack of self control].