• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Wow, some of those Hawkeyes are so gorgeous they could pass for a Church copy if some unscrupulous individual counterfeited the Mile High code on the cover.

Not that anyone would ever do that, of course...

STEVE

Wow, some of those Hawkeyes are so gorgeous they could pass for a Church copy if some unscrupulous individual counterfeited the Mile High code on the cover.

STEVE

Steve;

I guess the Hawkeyes are one of those GA pedigrees that we very seldom hear about or come across.

Any idea how many books were in this collection? Are Hawkeyes generally in the upper end of the condition scale as virtually all of them which I have seen are generally quite nice?

Guess I am just too impatient waiting for this Pedigree book to come out.

I guess the Hawkeyes are one of those GA pedigrees that we very seldom hear about or come across.

Any idea how many books were in this collection? Are Hawkeyes generally in the upper end of the condition scale as virtually all of them which I have seen are generally quite nice?

Excerpt from Matt Nelson's CBM #31 article "The Pedigree: An Indepth Analysis".

HAWKEYE - The Hawkeye collection surfaced in Mason City, Iowa around 1984. There were two primary buyers during the original disbursement: Joe Smejkal and Mike Tekal, two collectors who did not know each other. Two middlemen were involved, and the collection was sold piecemeal very slowly. As a result, very little documentation exists on the Hawkeye collection. To compound problems there are no indicative markings or characteristics associated with a Hawkeye book. What little is known about this collection came from Smejkal and Tekal themselves.

In 1984 a person named Leroy sold Smejkal a small batch of high grade DC's. Seeing that the books were gorgeous, Near Mint, white paged copies, Smejkal called Leroy back and bought as much as he could afford. Over the next few months Smejkal purchased a small batch of ten to twenty books at a time. During this time Leroy was selling to other collectors as well, of whom Tekal was one. Tekal was purchasing books in a similar fashion as Smejkal, receiving about ten books a week, and paying only in cash. As it turned out, the original owner, completely unknown, had sold his collection to one person, who in turn sold it to Leroy. By estimate, there were around 1,000 comics in the collection, consisting predominantly of DC's and spanning the years 1939 to 1950. Some keys present included All-Star #3, Superboy #1, Adventure #72, More Fun #101, Mask #1, World's Best #1, and reportedly the best existing copy of Captain Marvel #1.

Six years later a second, smaller accumulation surfaced from the original owner, numbering about 100-150 books. Although exhibiting gloss and white pages typical of the first collection, the average grade was only about Fine. Smejkal purchased all of them and subsequently sold them to another collector.

IDENTIFICATION-Hawkeye copies exhibit no markings whatsoever. Because of this and a lack of a master list Hawkeyes can be tough to identify. Fortunately, because Smejkal has owned the majority of them, he can readily identify most any books in question.

Incidentally, Smejkal's Hawkeyes were stored in mothballs during the 1980's and have a very distinctive mothball smell. Although sketchy, this is one way to identify a Hawkeye previously owned by Smejkal.

DESIRABILITY-Hawkeyes are beautiful, Near Mint books with full gloss/colors and white pages. They are so comparable to Mile Highs, there is a report that one collector actually attempted to forge a Hawkeye into one. The forgery was discovered when someone matched the mothball smell of the pages with the Hawkeye collection.

Originally, Hawkeyes sold for 1.5x to 2.0 guide. This multiple now hovers around 3.0x guide.

Science # 3

This is still one of my favorite Fox covers.

Allright, not only yours but some other boardies as well. You guys have to excuse me and enlighten me because I fail to see the attraction. It's an OK cover to me but what makes you tick about it? What about it, Rich? Ryan? Jon?

wonderworld13.jpg

It's a shame the guy who amassed the Allentown Collection didn't take better care of them!

Science # 3

Allright, not only yours but some other boardies as well. You guys have to excuse me and enlighten me because I fail to see the attraction. It's an OK cover to me but what makes you tick about it? What about it, Rich? Ryan? Jon?

Could it be the color scheme with that awesome rainbow effect in the background? Maybe those weirdly dynamic purple plant men? Or is it the composition with everything centered on Dynamo's hand and all the colors radiating outward? Is it the art deco look and design of the building and lamppost in the background or the woman in the foreground?

Naw, it's just a freakin cool cover!

Science # 3

"Cool monsters, cool colors."

Hope this in-depth analysis proves helpful. thumbsup2.gif

I still wouldn't say it's a top ten cover of mine, but owning a sharp copy like that could change my mind in a hurry!

science3.jpg

Great copy, Bedrock!!! At least I don't have to worry about competition from you for those pesky low graders!!

Re: why this book stands out to me... I wish I had a sharp answer (no coffee yet). Its the glorious hideous beauty of the colors that stand out, first and foremost... if you have seen a copy first hand, you'll know that the color job on this comic is outstanding. Layout, and the fact its a sci fi cover, for me are big factors.

Those elephant ear aliens just kill me! 27_laughing.gif

science3.jpg

Re: why this book stands out to me... I wish I had a sharp answer (no coffee yet). Its the glorious hideous beauty of the colors that stand out, first and foremost... if you have seen a copy first hand, you'll know that the color job on this comic is outstanding. Layout, and the fact its a sci fi cover, for me are big factors.

Those elephant ear aliens just kill me! 27_laughing.gif

I love their beautiful teeth.

They should be doing toothpaste commercials. wink.gif

wonderworld13.jpg

It's a shame the guy who amassed the Allentown Collection didn't take better care of them!

I almost bought this book when Harley had it a decade ago. This book is KILLER and the scan does it no justice. NICE! 893applaud-thumb.gif

West

Science # 3

Could it be the color scheme with that awesome rainbow effect in the background? Maybe those weirdly dynamic purple plant men? Or is it the composition with everything centered on Dynamo's hand and all the colors radiating outward? Is it the art deco look and design of the building and lamppost in the background or the woman in the foreground?

Naw, it's just a freakin cool cover!

So, now that I've heard from all three of you (thanks guys), it seems that it's mostly about the color. From your description above, it seems to be the accumulation of element. To my eyes though, they are hard to parcel out and while there, they are muddled with each other. I'll agree with the colors making it attractive. There is / was a low-grade copy up on eBay about 2 days ago.