• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New Pressing Project Results Thread

146 posts in this topic

Well, here's the thing. Of course you disassemble books. Definitely for purposes other than solely pressing. I mean...that's what you do. And you recently spoke in detail to another board member regarding staple replacement. And you are a very active practitioner of pressing. So, my question is, what would stop you from popping a cover off, pressing it, and then reassembling it?

Why should I believe that there is some invisible line that, for some ethical or practical reason, you wouldn't cross? You are a great restoration expert. You're one of the greatest exponents of pressing out there at the moment, and will press books to get a jump in grade and make a profit. I'm not condemning you for it, I'm just stating fact. To me it makes no sense that you wouldn't use your skill to fully explore a books potential by disassembling it. You're one of the few good enough to do it and probably get it back in a blue holder.

That's what I believe.

Well, here's the thing. Of course you disassemble books. Definitely for purposes other than solely pressing. I mean...that's what you do. And you recently spoke in detail to another board member regarding staple replacement. And you are a very active practitioner of pressing. So, my question is, what would stop you from popping a cover off, pressing it, and then reassembling it?

Why should I believe that there is some invisible line that, for some ethical or practical reason, you wouldn't cross? You are a great restoration expert. You're one of the greatest exponents of pressing out there at the moment, and will press books to get a jump in grade and make a profit. I'm not condemning you for it, I'm just stating fact. To me it makes no sense that you wouldn't use your skill to fully explore a books potential by disassembling it. You're one of the few good enough to do it and probably get it back in a blue holder.

That's what I believe.

Brad, the question was asked and answered. In the absence of clear evidence to the contrary, what entitles you to continue calling him a liar? You declined to participate in a mystery shopper exercise to try to find actual evidence that would then truly entitle you to refute Matt's denials. Even Matt has now said he'd be okay with you trying to set him up in a sting operation just to shut you up.

Your continued badgering of Matt conjures unpleasant images of an interrogation, with you as the interrogator. Basically, whatever comes out of the mouth of the interrogatee will not satisfy you unless it is what you want to hear, and you will keep applying the electric shock until you get what you want to hear. Whether what is ultimately said is actually true, or just the result of coercion, has become completely irrelevant to you.

Matt may be one of Scott's current worship-objects, but it doesn't take much to see that Matt was being less than honest with us. Of course he takes books apart and replaces staples in order to remove spine stress. If he had any real balls he would have owned up to it.

Brad, why are you still hung up on this staple thing? I'd like to know how it "doesn't take much" to see that I'm lying. It's like you're staring at a model ship in a bottle, and you think someone smashed the bottle and reglued the pieces back around the ship. You can't see the seams where the glass was glued, but you're convinced that's how it was done. Is it possible, just maybe, that I don't disassemble books?

Take some books you're convinced need disassembly to fix spine problems, photograph the prongs, and send them to me anonymously for pressing. You say you don't want to set up a sting operation on me, but I have nothing to hide. I'd rather we get this settled than you continue with these blind accusations.

And by the way my balls are very real, both of them. smile.gif

Good response, Matt! thumbsup2.gif

That's what I believe.

Brad, the question was asked and answered. In the absence of clear evidence to the contrary, what entitles you to continue calling him a liar? You declined to participate in a mystery shopper exercise to try to find actual evidence that would then truly entitle you to refute Matt's denials. Even Matt has now said he'd be okay with you trying to set him up in a sting operation just to shut you up.

Your continued badgering of Matt conjures unpleasant images of an interrogation, with you as the interrogator. Basically, whatever comes out of the mouth of the interrogatee will not satisfy you unless it is what you want to hear, and you will keep applying the electric shock until you get what you want to hear. Whether what is ultimately said is actually true, or just the result of coercion, has become completely irrelevant to you.

"I will take Matt's word on picking his spots for disassembly." Guess Brad changed his mind? confused-smiley-013.gif

Believe what you want to believe guys. Your dough. Hopefully the boardmember who had the discussion with Matt about staple replacement will post about it shortly. thumbsup2.gif

You guys are something. yeahok.gif

That's what I believe.

I don't know Tim, at least one could say that badgering possibly worked since Matt at least was willing to publicly address Brad's questions. He continues to avoid doing so with mine, despite telling me he would. Of course, my questions are more substantive (no offense intended here Brad) and require actual thought rather than just a simple denial. And I haven't even begun to consider setting Matt up for a sting operation! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

But I digress. Back to your thread. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

Believe what you want to believe guys. Your dough. Hopefully the boardmember who had the discussion with Matt about staple replacement will post about it shortly. thumbsup2.gif

Brad, if you have evidence to substantiate your claims, then just say so! confused-smiley-013.gif

Otherwise it just looks like mean-spirited and vindictive badgering.

Believe what you want to believe guys. Your dough. Hopefully the boardmember who had the discussion with Matt about staple replacement will post about it shortly.

I'm sure Matt can disassemble a book and replace staples, and has disassembled and book and replaced staples. He says as much:

Just to be clear, I only disassemble a book if I intend to restore it.

I believe this all started when you asked about your Strange Tales project book that was sent back without the spine stress being fixed, right? I don't think Matt's position that his "conservation" services would not include disassembly/staple replacement conflicts with anything he's said here, at least without knowing the context of his discussions with the mysterious boardmember. thumbsup2.gif

Okay. I believe what I believe. I'm not on a campaign to convince everyone here to believe likewise. I voiced my opinion, based on simply putting two and two together, along with the fact that practicing disassembly pressing as a freestanding service fits in perfectly with a campaign to maximize the potential of every book and to leave not a single dollar on the table.

As I said before, you're certainly welcome to believe what you want. I simply have lost faith in the ability of many of the "movers and shakers" in this hobby to restrain or limit their pursuit of the greenback. In an atmosphere of aggresive opportunism and market manipulation, it is safer to trust no one completely than to lead with your chin and your wallet open.

Forgive my cynicism. I'm not happy about it. And the last time I was in a position to believe absolutely everything anyone told me was gospel.....I was six years old.

I find it hard to believe that Matt, with all his abilities would suddenly draw a line for himself which he would not cross.

Is he in a tough position? I can't prove he does....and he can't prove he doesn't. That's what comes with the territory in todays wonderful, post-Ewert, consumer-protected marketplace.

I repeat, I'm not trying to raise an army against Matt. I'm just telling you what I believe. And I'll leave it at that, unless you want to drag this on and on. Up to you.

Okay. I believe what I believe. I'm not on a campaign to convince everyone here to believe likewise. I voiced my opinion, based on simply putting two and two together, along with the fact that practicing disassembly pressing as a freestanding service fits in perfectly with a campaign to maximize the potential of every book and to leave not a single dollar on the table.

As I said before, you're certainly welcome to believe what you want. I simply have lost faith in the ability of many of the "movers and shakers" in this hobby to restrain or limit their pursuit of the greenback. In an atmosphere of aggresive opportunism and market manipulation, it is safer to trust no one completely than to lead with your chin and your wallet open.

Forgive my cynicism. I'm not happy about it. And the last time I was in a position to believe absolutely everything anyone told me was gospel.....I was six years old.

I find it hard to believe that Matt, with all his abilities would suddenly draw a line for himself which he would not cross.

Is he in a tough position? I can't prove he does....and he can't prove he doesn't. That's what comes with the territory in todays wonderful, post-Ewert, consumer-protected marketplace.

I repeat, I'm not trying to raise an army against Matt. I'm just telling you what I believe. And I'll leave it at that, unless you want to drag this on and on. Up to you.

Let me reiterate my position: if CGC ever caught a disassembled book, they would put it in a purple holder. Since money is obviously a driving force in this business, losing 75% of that book's value is just not a smart gamble. But the most important point of it all is the potential danger to my reputation. If I was ever caught disassembling books, it could really hurt my business. There is no upgrade worth doing that for.

Disassembly is more advantageous for cleaning and spine repair, not pressing. It's cleaned covers that one looks for when a book is taken apart, not spine dents that have been pressed out. Your Strange Tales had many heavy defects in the cover and interior pages, and I just didn't hit that one spine dent for whatever reason. There is nothing more to it.

I understand your position to approach everything with a raised eyebrow, but I think it's being taken to a ridiculous level with some topics on these boards. I don't think the atmosphere in the comic market is any different than any other collectibles market, nor any other market period. When money is involved, some behaviors are inherent. As said ad nauseam, educate yourself. Get to know your dealers, learn how to grade and spot restoration. Follow the market trends. Throwing your hands up and placing blanket blame on the community is pointless.

Brad, if you have evidence to substantiate your claims, then just say so! confused-smiley-013.gif

OK, I really don't want to get involved in this thread, but now that I've read it, I guess I have to.

I did relate to Brad a conversation I had with Matt at the dinner in Philly. I don't think this will be a newsflash to anyone--my assumption is that anyone who restores comics has to disassemble books to provide certain services. Anyway, Matt was kind enough to discuss staple removal and replacement, how to detect it, how his technique differs from other prominent comic restoration experts, etc. If my memory is correct, this conversation took place in the context of dry cleaning and resizing of covers, and not pressing.

As I type this, I know I'm going to regret getting embroiled in this mess. I don't agree with pressing, personally, but I know others have no problem with it. If a customer came to Matt with a book with NCB spine creases, why wouldn't Matt disassemble a book to do the work? That's his job. If he advises the client that the benefits would out-weigh the costs, and the client is in favor of it, there really would be no question regarding this, unless there are technical reasons it can't be done. I don't think Brad is being accusatory in suggesting this. And, if there reasons it couldn't be done, I'd love to hear it. My assumption has always been that it is done.

That's what I believe.

I don't know Tim, at least one could say that badgering possibly worked since Matt at least was willing to publicly address Brad's questions. He continues to avoid doing so with mine, despite telling me he would. Of course, my questions are more substantive (no offense intended here Brad) and require actual thought rather than just a simple denial. And I haven't even begun to consider setting Matt up for a sting operation! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

But I digress. Back to your thread. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hi Mark, I don't see the need to answer your questions. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. I'm not on trial here either. The definition matter has been laid to rest; horse particles are being picked out of the concrete at this point.

Like your earlier comment about suing me, I'm not really sure how to take your sting operation comment. I don't understand why you're hell-bent on attacking me, or trying to catch me doing something. I wish you'd just chill out and deal some funny books like the rest of us. Leave the hard line at work.

If you disagree with the way I do business, let's agree to disagree, shake hands and have a few beers at San Diego.

OK, I really don't want to get involved in this thread, but now that I've read it, I guess I have to.

I did relate to Brad a conversation I had with Matt at the dinner in Philly. I don't think this will be a newsflash to anyone--my assumption is that anyone who restores comics has to disassemble books to provide certain services. Anyway, Matt was kind enough to discuss staple removal and replacement, how to detect it, how his technique differs from other prominent comic restoration experts, etc. If my memory is correct, this conversation took place in the context of dry cleaning and resizing of covers, and not pressing.

As I type this, I know I'm going to regret getting embroiled in this mess. I don't agree with pressing, personally, but I know others have no problem with it. If a customer came to Matt with a book with NCB spine creases, why wouldn't Matt disassemble a book to do the work? That's his job. If he advises the client that the benefits would out-weigh the costs, and the client is in favor of it, there really would be no question regarding this, unless there are technical reasons it can't be done. I don't think Brad is being accusatory in suggesting this. And, if there reasons it couldn't be done, I'd love to hear it. My assumption has always been that it is done.

When I restore comics, I strive to make them appear unrestored--that goes for color touch, cleaning, piece fill, and re-inserting the staples. I can usually tell who restored a book by the way they lay the prongs down at the spine; Matt and Mark Wilson, Susan, etc.

I think the best restoration is that which appears invisible to the average collector. They are the ones I'm doing the work for. But there's no way someone like CGC would miss the work. It's simply a good policy to strive for the best craftsmanship possible. Great quote from some architect--"God is in the details."

But the parameters of what CGC deems restoration have been clearly laid out. Since my reputation is my foremost concern, I stick to those rules. When I press books, I do not break them.

Matt...did you see this thread?

You turn my green eyes blue....

I'd love to hear your take on this. I don't approve of the tone of a lot of the posts in that thread but it does seem as if staple replacement does get through at times.

Brad

Wow, I need to start shopping for books with popped staples....

Don't really have much to say on that one. But it is a perfect example of how one stupid book can mess a guy up.